Why are there 100,000 people playing Counterstrike _right now_

Ontrose said:
Tribes games already have pretty good balance with the learning curve, i just hope T3 wont be any easier to learn or master.

You wont attract a lot of players with the learning curve of t1/t2. There is nothing wrong with a game being "easy to learn". Though, to me, that only means that it is easy getting started with the game - having fun and slowly achiving success.

Yes it should be easy to learn the basics of the game, but the skillcurve should be long and deep still, so you could easily see who is average player and who is veteran, unlike in CS.

First CS versions werent very newbie friendly either, and it had lots of skill elements until they removed bunnyjumping, and made shooting random at some point.

Lots of new players will come for sure if the game is good enough, looks nice, and does work with most of the systems unlike T2 when it was released. Fucked up release & game was the reason why so many returned their T2's to shops, or simply stopped playing it.

I have an easier time telling a vet from a newbie in cs than i have in t2 base :shrug:

I agree with you though, the game should be easy to learn and hard to master. What I'm looking for is an intuitive game that is easy to get into but still with enough depth to make competition endlessly complex. I guess i personally could live without the easy to learn part, but more players leads to more competition.

heh, you need a lot of stuff in games theese days to make everyone happy.

[EDIT] Also, I personally dont believe that complexity in features necesarily means complexity in gameplay. You especially have to consider that when thinking about the tribes franchise.

Last edited:
Yes its almost impossible to find perfect balance, and yes simple games may be as comlex as games with lots of complicated features.

Tribes games are still lot more easier for new players than Quake/UT because there usually is roles that new players can play and do well if they know the basics, and have some common sense.

Getting to know the basics *CAN* be quite a process in Tribes. Especially if you dont have anyone to help you out. I remember spending half an hour trying to deploy a turret when i first tried t1 with a few friends on LAN =)

A small part of the reason why T2 didn't take off, and this is a very small part, is because the Tribes community is VERY hard on newbies. I remember getting kicked off servers for very stupid reasons when I was a newbie at T2.

For me, the switch from UT to T2 was pretty damn large (I just wanted to fly in a shrike!). Many other people didn't have the patience to make the switch and really learn a new style of gameplay from the ground up, and, after getting treated like shit by some of the old schoolers, they moved on to shitty games like Ghost Recon and such. The ratio of assholes to normal cool guys is much higher in T2 than most games I've played. This game brings a lot of attitude baggage.

I know at least 5 people who quite T2 because of the 'community'.

And on that note...

The unwritten code of ethics (O sniping, standing around on the Vpad after buying a vehicle, etc.) might also be a consideration to be included in the manual.

It may sound stupid but if you're new to T3 and used to playing some other game where O sniping is the norm you're going to be pretty pissed when you get kicked off a server for what you're going to see as a very stupid thing.

Word, being told you're an idiot when doing something that seems usefull in the game (O-Sniping for instance - you get points for killing) will probably make most players leave the server and stop playing the game for good.

Success should be more obvious, and the game should be less inviting to house rules.

Da_Timsta said:
Word, being told you're an idiot when doing something that seems usefull in the game (O-Sniping for instance - you get points for killing) will probably make most players leave the server and stop playing the game for good.

Success should be more obvious, and the game should be less inviting to house rules.

O-sniping was never useless if your team was on the attack, it WAS annoyig however since to properly defend you need to conserve energy and and health and not hop around a lot which is why it got so many people kicked.

Yes Houserules suck and can spoil any game for new players.
If T3 will be anywhere near normal Tribes CTF, there should be some feature that makes BT or deploying turrets impossible with small teams, and no points from sniper frags unless you snipe enemy with your flag or near it.

Last edited:
nullper said:
O-sniping was never useless if your team was on the attack, it WAS annoyig however since to properly defend you need to conserve energy and and health and not hop around a lot which is why it got so many people kicked.
I always thought that the best way to discourage oob sniping was to make it so you get no points for it. I'm pretty sure most oob sniping newbies wouldn't bother if they found their kills at 0 after a fun filled match of hanging out wayy out of range and picking people off at the vehicle station. :/
however, to toss a bone to those that stray off the map while dueling:
inbounds to out of bounds= you get the kill
out of bounds to out of bounds= you get the kill

Just no points for oob to in bounds.
Seems like a good solution to me. :shrug:

Yes Neek.

When I talked about people getting kicked for O sniping I wasn't actually referring to Vpad sniping or Inv sniping...just O sniping in general.

But I fully agree with your idea.

An idea for the Vpad sniping/disking problem might be that while you're on the pad you only take partial damage?

Back