Star Trek: Discovery & Orville Trailers by The Magical Zoo - Page 7 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Star Trek: Discovery & Orville Trailers
Page 7 of 11
ViRGE
VeteranXX
Old
121 - 10-01-2017, 16:31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF_Grungir View Post
Maybe it's just me but there seemed to be a LOT of commercials...
The show is 42-44 minutes without the credits, like just about everything else out there. So while there are a lot of commercials (because nearly 20 minutes of commercials is insane), it's not any worse than any other hour-long show.

Sponsored Links
Edofnor
VeteranXX
Old
122 - 10-01-2017, 16:33
iirc 8/22 has been the standard commercial/show ratio for every 30 minutes of commercial tv since ~ancient times~

mjoe
VeteranXX
Old
123 - 10-01-2017, 16:41
seeing commercials may be a sign that the show you're watching is not infringing copyright

NoGodForMe
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
124 - 10-02-2017, 09:23
Spoiler

Mogs
VeteranXX
Old
125 - 10-04-2017, 14:47
I like the show so far. It does a really good job at being star trek with better graphics. Part of me even wants them to drop the comedy shtick because its the weakest part.

Hellsfury
VeteranXX
Old
126 - 10-05-2017, 02:45
This is why Hollywood is out of touch:

Rotten Tomatoes "Top Critics" gave Orville a 5% rating... but over 3,000 user reviews scored it 90%.

meanwhile the critics think Discovery is 89%, with similar number of user reviews giving it a 60%.

More regular viewers like Orville than Discovery by a wide margin.

How do you reconcile the gap between a score of 5% and 90%? Unless you're paid off, or out of touch.

It's as if people appreciate that Orville is far-fetched on purpose and roll with it being light-hearted, where as Discovery's attempt to be serious drama comes up flat and the audience isn't buying into it.

Myself, I find that I actually like the characters of Orville as people... but so far, I can't stand pretty much every character on Discovery, aside from the two they've already killed off or is supplemental. Orville isn't going to win any Emmy's with its stories so far, but that's ok, I still find it amusing and am curious to experience more of it. Discovery on the other hand, is a world so depressing and gloomy; who the **** wants to experience even 45 minutes of it at a time? It's like being in a room where everyone is constantly at odds and bad mouths each other, while casting a duplicitous vibe through the air. These are not characters you root for as a team or even care to see succeed.

Last edited by Hellsfury; 10-05-2017 at 13:25..
Gandalf
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
127 - 10-05-2017, 12:43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsfury View Post
This is why Hollywood is out of touch:

Rotten Tomatoes "Top Critics" gave Orville a 5% rating... but over 3,000 user reviews scored it 90%.

meanwhile the critics think Discovery is 89%, with similar number of user reviews giving it a 60%.

More regular viewers like Orville than Discovery by a wide margin.

How do you reconcile the gap between a score of 5% and 90%? Unless you're paid off, or out of touch.

It's as if people appreciate that Orville is far-fetched on purpose and roll with it being light-hearted, where as Discovery's attempt to be serious drama comes up flat and the audience isn't buying into it.

Myself, I find that I actually like the characters of Orville as people... but so far, I can't stand pretty much every character on Discovery, aside from the two they've already killed off or is supplemental. Orville isn't going to win any Emmy's with it's stories so far, but that's ok, I still find it amusing and am curious to experience more of it. Discovery on the other hand, is a world so depressing and gloomy; who the **** wants to experience it even 45 minutes at a time? It's like being in a room where everyone is constantly at odds and bad mouths each other under their breath, while casting a duplicitous vibe. These are not characters you root for as a team or every care to see succeed.
Great post.

Father Ruckus
VeteranXX
Old
128 - 10-05-2017, 12:56
Discovery is ****ing awful. Haven't watched Orville yet. Probably wait till the first seasons over and binge watch it.

TheVoiceOfReason
VeteranX
Old
129 - 10-05-2017, 13:25
As noted before, Orville is TNG without that stick up it's ass (Perfect!). A bit lighter with more realistic characters (everyone isn't some hyper-perfectionist striving to improve themselves to their full potential while contributing to the grand utopian Federation ideal).

Torks
VeteranXX
Old
130 - 10-05-2017, 13:37
Orville is Star Trek with dick jokes.

Hellsfury
VeteranXX
Old
131 - 10-05-2017, 14:17
Notice how in Orville the crew is always trying to do the right thing, there is no ambiguity in their motives. They are clearly the good guys trying to do good. They can be seen to falter and stumble along the way, but at least it's clear what they are reaching for and why. As an audience, that's what we want. We are bombarded with ambiguity in our real lives all day long, the last thing I think people want is to also have to deal with it in fantasy.

The crew of Discovery are, so far, ambiguous... I'm not sure if they are the good guys, or which side I should be empathetic towards. Some of the characters, like Captain Lorca, are even portrayed as antagonists... this is a Federation Captain who comes off as more of a villain with ulterior motives than as the paragon of ideals we imagine the United Federation to represent as a concept. Every body puts off a vibe that they'd rather be somewhere else.

People die in the world of Discovery and it doesn't appear to even phase characters... as if this is routine for the reality of the 23rd century. They carry on in the scene like that didn't just happen. This is a bleak and depressing ****ing place... that isn't anything like the one Gene Roddenberry presented. It's a joke that the title credits advertise "based on the world of Star Trek created by Gene Roddenberry" when it clearly isn't at all.

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
132 - 10-05-2017, 14:21
So Star Trek went full on Doom (the movie) last week...
Doom movie best scene 60 FPS - YouTube
MInus the wheel chair

Hellsfury
VeteranXX
Old
133 - 10-05-2017, 15:00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmatic View Post
So Star Trek went full on Doom (the movie) last week...
Doom movie best scene 60 FPS - YouTube
MInus the wheel chair
Don't forget execution of the classic Super Hero Landing to cap it off too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwUilIo036g

Mogs
VeteranXX
Old
134 - 10-09-2017, 00:41
I always get a kick out of the cast and crew Seth MacFarlane attracts for his shows. Last episode had:

Brannon Braga ... executive producer (writer/producer from star trek)
Jonathan Frakes ... Director (commander riker)

If you keep going back, you find more. If it fit the story in a way, he could probably pull off a TNG reunion.

The Magical Zoo
VeteranXV
Old
135 - 10-16-2017, 03:29

Mr Jimmy Pop
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
136 - 10-16-2017, 07:30
Orville is growing on me, haven't watched any discovery yet. I like the comedy mighty thrown in. "Avis we try harder" caused me to rofl. Missing leg practical joke got me too.

NoGodForMe
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
137 - 10-16-2017, 11:07
It's real easy to see what's going on here.

The Orville is on Fox in primetime (right leaning network).
Discovery is on CBS All Access (left wing, hidden).

Of coarse they're going to say Discovery is doing better, it's political, and the viewer numbers are rigged just like the election polls.

Mr Jimmy Pop
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
138 - 10-16-2017, 11:23
Really NGFM? you will say just about anything now to meet your "**** NGFM says" quota, you whore.

TheVoiceOfReason
VeteranX
Old
139 - 10-16-2017, 13:23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogs View Post
If it fit the story in a way, he could probably pull off a TNG reunion.
Oh snap. Can you imagine the nerdgasm if they had an episode with a trans-dimensional portal hand-wavy and encountered the Enterprise with some carefully constructed viewscreen conversations?

The Magical Zoo
VeteranXV
Old
140 - 10-16-2017, 21:18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGodForMe View Post
It's real easy to see what's going on here.

The Orville is on Fox in primetime (right leaning network).
Discovery is on CBS All Access (left wing, hidden).

Of coarse they're going to say Discovery is doing better, it's political, and the viewer numbers are rigged just like the election polls.
NGFM has this **** locked in, guys.

Page 7 of 11

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Star Trek: Discovery & Orville Trailers

Social Website Bullshit