Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited

Yeah, this thread has made me want to try them out. Keep us posted.

do it, you wont be disappointed :)
I am about to start book 3...

I actually watched the show (DLed) a while ago. It made me appreciate the lead actor a bit more. Other than him not being really tall, he did a really good job portraying how I read him in the books so far.

do it, you wont be disappointed :)
I am about to start book 3...

I actually watched the show (DLed) a while ago. It made me appreciate the lead actor a bit more. Other than him not being really tall, he did a really good job portraying how I read him in the books so far.

book 3 is when it starts getting really good.

Dresden starts out slow but gets waaaay better as it goes along. The first book, by itself, is nothing special really. Certainly a solid, good read, but the series doesn't come into its own until book 3-4ish

Lies-of-Locke-Lamora.jpg

"This is a fresh, original, and engrossing tale by a bright new voice in the fantasy genre. Locke Lamora makes for an engaging rogue, and Camorr a fascinating and gorgeously realized setting, a city to rival Lankhmar, Amber, and Viriconium. I look forward to returning there for many more visits."

George R.R. Martin

I am on book two of Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy. It starts off a little slow in the first book, but I am totally hooked now.

Amazon.com: A Dance with Dragons (Song of Ice and Fire) (9780553801477): George R.R. Martin: Books

A Dance with Dragons has a July 12th release date on amazon as of this morning

Well damn I never expected to see the day. I still don't know if I believe that he'll ever be completely finishing the series though (I thought there were supposed to be 7 books total right?...maybe 8 since the last two were supposed to be 1...).

Update - A Song of Ice and Fire - George R. R. Martin's Official Website

Finished The Name of the Wind on sunday night and started Wise Man's Fear. I'm quite liking the books so far. Anyone know when the 3rd day is supposed to be released?

Yay for Dance really getting written. :] anyone know what the spread is for the following book? I'm guessing over a decade.

The third book won't be released for a while, Wise Man's Fear was just released.

In a recent interview Rothfuss says it will be a couple of years.

I just finished Ender's game. It is a personal opinion but good god, what a slow ass book to read through. I won't be finishing up that series. Way overrated.

In a recent interview Rothfuss says it will be a couple of years.

I just finished Ender's game. It is a personal opinion but good god, what a slow ass book to read through. I won't be finishing up that series. Way overrated.

The series only gets slower. If you didn't like the first one then stop now.

Already suggested, but needs to be reiterated:
Roger Zelazny - Amber Chronicles
Neil Gaiman - American Gods
William Gibson - anything really. Mona Lisa Overdrive - Neuromancer - Idoru.

I didn't see it posted, so just in case, Clive Barker - Imajica and The Great and Secret Show. oldies, but goodies imho.

On The Dark Tower, Ron Howard will be directing the next 'LOTR' style trilogy on this one.

The target release for the first movie is 2013. The television series would then follow and bridge to the second film. After the second movie the television series would pick up again and carry forward to the final film in the trilogy.
screenteamshow.com

Opinions on this?

Finished Wise Man's Fear yesterday. Great read. He has a knack for episodic writing... no cliffhanger bs, solid conclusion, but still leaves you wanting more.

Need to decide what to move on to next... maybe Misborn..

Just picked the first book up, seems interesting so far but I'm not all that far in.

I am reading book three now, and it just keeps getting better. My co-worker is the biggest fantasy nerd ever. He recommended this series and Way of Kings. Way of Kings is slightly better, and I think you would prefer that book since it has powered armor like WH40K, Frodo.

Back