Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited

so, upon reading book 12 of the wheel of time, im so glad robert jordan died. brandon sanderson gets to the fucking point, and is hilarious
mat's diatribe about being married had me laughing loud enough for my girlfriend to look at me like an asshole

if only sanderson wrote with first 11 books, this would be a wonderful series

Way of Kings

so i finished the highwayman series, not too bad

kind of sucked that he was a superman ninja, but aside from that pretty good series

now working on codex and then webers empire of man

reading starship troopers while im on the shitter or in the truck at work

so i finished the highwayman series, not too bad

kind of sucked that he was a superman ninja, but aside from that pretty good series

now working on codex and then webers empire of man

reading starship troopers while im on the shitter or in the truck at work

Which one is Empire of Man? Is that the Dahak series, the one co written with John Ringo, or is it a third option I dont know about?

Robert V. S. Redick- The Ruling sea series was very good. Very well rounded characters. Lot's of sea based action, original reading. The world is very detailed and then he goes on to make two of them!

Greg Keyes, The briar king series, was a good read. I like the interactions between the religions and the flow of action.

Ruling Sea series....first 75% of book 1 is excellent and gets you hooked. Then it completely falls apart into a terrible, convoluted young adult pile of garbage that I couldn't even manage to get through book 2 on.

I do agree the "romance" part of the books are a bit too much at times but the base story is very unique.

I just finished Ender In Exile which takes place right after Ender's Game but before the second book. I give it a 7/10 but Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow were better.

This is a bit of a blast from the past... an easy read, but Richard Knaak's DragonRealm novels are pretty good!

ive read the malazan books (all 10), ian casslements 3 side stories and the korbelain and broach ones. that shit is great

need to read the mistborn series next i think

Last edited:
Erk, was not a big fan of the Mistborn books... story became pretty frail imho

I read them, they're decent but yeah nothing too spectacular. The story is pretty good imo, but the characters don't really seem to have that much depth.

I love George RR Martin and I like Steven Erikson, but this guy is my new hope for fantasy novels, his first two books are fucking amazing:

Patrick Rothfuss - The Books

Probably been mentioned 20 or more times in this thread. ;) The first book is the best book I have ever read. The second book is very low on my list. The writing style is as fantastic as the first, but the plot is pretty awful imo.

Also in this thread or the other one, someone recommended the Revelation Space trilogy by Alastair Reynolds. Almost done with the third book. 1st one is a bit difficult to read because his style is pretty technical and there is not much character development. 2nd one is a lot better. In the third, half of the story's perspective is really boring and based on some space religion, but the other half is good and is definitely keeping me interested. I don't read much sci-fi, so I don't have much to compare it to though.

Nevermind, Bodom and Livingdeath pretty much nailed my list.

I would caution that David Farland's Runelord stuff becomes REALLY repetitive very quickly.

I also thought WoT was excessively long.

Last edited:
Just finished Silence of the Lambs, on the 3rd book of the codex alera series, pretty entertaining... picked up ender's shadow, hannibal, and a book called State of Decay by james knapp whom i've never heard of from borders for like 2$ each

Back