Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Web Developers
Page 3 of 5
Scourge
VeteranXX
Old
41 - 01-14-2010, 01:36
I agree, Happy.

In fact, I think if you had a lot of programmers work for years without the concept of an MVC framework, then explained it to them, a lot of them would say "Well, I've been doing that for years!" It just makes sense from an organizational standpoint. Of course, everyone will do it at least a little differently, which is why a standardized framework can help from a support perspective.

Sponsored Links
Ender
ValtreX
Old
42 - 01-14-2010, 02:35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falhawk View Post
i thought the ruby fad was oer
ruby was never a fad.

LGBR
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
43 - 01-14-2010, 02:42
DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS

Adept
VeteranXX
Old
44 - 01-14-2010, 04:37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scourge View Post
way to pick the two smallest sites I listed (both of which are Python, not PHP)
stackoverflow is C#, actually.

Got Haggis?
VeteranXX
Old
45 - 01-14-2010, 07:15
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_skul View Post
All serious, high volume web dev for apps is done in two languages: .NET and Java. [/I]

yeah sorry you are completely incorrect.

google uses a mix of python and php and probably some other stuff

Last edited by Got Haggis?; 01-14-2010 at 07:17..
Ruthven
VeteranXX
Old
46 - 01-14-2010, 08:38
These threads always turn into battles over whose language has a bigger dick.

Adept
VeteranXX
Old
47 - 01-14-2010, 09:50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Haggis? View Post
yeah sorry you are completely incorrect.

google uses a mix of python and php and probably some other stuff
They use a bunch of C++ (for core, high traffic, processing intensive things like search), and an increasing amount of Java.

Detox.enD
VeteranXV
Old
48 - 01-14-2010, 10:06
when i found out google used python, i was pissed.

i hate python, how dare an organization like google further the idea that python is a good language, at any level.

i'm convinced the people who designed that pathetic excuse of a 'programming language' are ****ing retarded.

Monkey_b
VeteranX
Old
49 - 01-14-2010, 11:04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthven View Post
These threads always turn into battles over whose language has a bigger dick.
Not really. Any web dev worth their salt would attack PHP for other reasons, but not by asserting that it can't be used to power high-volume apps/sites. There are many reasons for why one might prefer other languages over PHP, PHP isn't perfect, but it works, is the widest language in use on the Web, and has matured to a very high degree, which with the use of Frameworks makes it particularly powerful and helps avoid many of its traditional pitfalls. Nobody can really contest that.

PHP6 is around the corner and I can't wait to see what it brings to the table.

apollod
VeteranXX
Old
50 - 01-14-2010, 11:48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detox.enD View Post

i hate python, how dare an organization like google further the idea that python is a good language, at any level.

i'm convinced the people who designed that pathetic excuse of a 'programming language' are ****ing retarded.
Somebody is angsty

Yogi
Tribalwar Staff
Old
51 - 01-14-2010, 12:03
Quote:

I kind of feel the same way. I've tried playing with python a few times. I don't get it.

apollod
VeteranXX
Old
52 - 01-14-2010, 12:09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
I kind of feel the same way. I've tried playing with python a few times. I don't get it.

Zlex
VeteranXX
Old
53 - 01-14-2010, 12:09

****, beaten

Detox.enD
VeteranXV
Old
54 - 01-14-2010, 12:13
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollod View Post
Somebody is angsty
have you ever used it?

someone with no programming knowledge would love it.

everyone else in the world wonders why they broke some of the most standard and oldest conventions.

its bull****. their own methods from tehir standard libraries conflict in terms of use and are not consistent at all. when i started running into those issue i decided it was designed by retards, for retards.

apollod
VeteranXX
Old
55 - 01-14-2010, 12:17
Quote:
have you ever used it?

someone with no programming knowledge would love it.

everyone else in the world wonders why they broke some of the most standard and oldest conventions.

its bull****. their own methods from tehir standard libraries conflict in terms of use and are not consistent at all. when i started running into those issue i decided it was designed by retards, for retards.
Yeah.. not quite getting what methods you're trying to use that conflict.. unless of course you're trying to run something written in Python 2.x on a Python 3.x interpreter; You are right about the someone with no programming knowledge bit, it's incredibly easy to teach and pick up.

Detox.enD
VeteranXV
Old
56 - 01-14-2010, 12:22
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollod View Post
Yeah.. not quite getting what methods you're trying to use that conflict.. unless of course you're trying to run something written in Python 2.x on a Python 3.x interpreter; You are right about the someone with no programming knowledge bit, it's incredibly easy to teach and pick up.
i can't remember the specifics. it was almost 2 years ago.

but it was something with the standard methods ont he string object. if you used it where it worked on the start of teh string it used the index to figure out where you wanted to put it. if you used it to put it on the end it a character and put it after the last instance of that character.

****ty way to describe it, but it didn't make sense. both should have used the index, or both should have used characters. thats about the best my memory is doing right now.

they may have fixed it in later versions, but it was ****ing stupid. and to use whitespace to seperate things is

Urraca
VeteranXX
Old
57 - 01-14-2010, 12:22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraska View Post
Rails isnt practical. I hear a lot of people like it, but its a lot harder to set up, more server intensive, and a lot harder to find developers for it. If you're developing a project for yourself, sure use Rails if you want. If you are looking to do full-time work and get hired as a web developer for a company, the standard LAMP stack is the way to go IMO. The vast majority of sites on the web are php or asp based.

As far as php frameworks go, the main one we use at our company is CakePHP. Its not great with large data sets, but its a pretty good framework once you know the best ways to utilize it. Obviously there are pitfalls, but overall, it has a good MVC architecture. Some have compared it to rails for php.

Zend framework is another, though i've never used it. I think its pretty similar to cake. One of our newer developers was familiar with zend, and picked up cake without any problems.
What??

Ruby Developers are a plenty these days, especially in the major markets. Are they are numerous as PHP developers, no, which you know may actually better your chances of landing a job.

Server intensive, not so much, and it's easy to set up, just not so much on Windows. Yes, a vast majority of sites use PHP and .asp, but most sites suck.

Hulu, Twitter (although certain parts are no longer, but the release of ruby 2.8 and rails 3.0 have made great improvements), and Spiceworks are all Ruby-based.

I'm not a Ruby developer at all, so it's not like I'm fighting for my team.

Although, I'm starting to code for ****s and gigs, and I've been toying with both RoR and Python/Django, gotta say Rails is where it's at in my early stages. I love that the Google-apps engine has Python support though, which is quite nice.

But as far as setting up 'rails' its easy, and honestly IMO, having your own physical servers are quickly becoming a thing of the past. Cloud hosting is where it's at, and they come pre-configured for you lots of times .

Last edited by Urraca; 01-14-2010 at 12:27..
apollod
VeteranXX
Old
58 - 01-14-2010, 12:29
Quote:
i can't remember the specifics. it was almost 2 years ago.

but it was something with the standard methods ont he string object. if you used it where it worked on the start of teh string it used the index to figure out where you wanted to put it. if you used it to put it on the end it a character and put it after the last instance of that character.

****ty way to describe it, but it didn't make sense. both should have used the index, or both should have used characters. thats about the best my memory is doing right now.

they may have fixed it in later versions, but it was ****ing stupid. and to use whitespace to seperate things is
I think I know what you're talking about.. I know the string object has been improved and I think that's less of an issue/non-issue now. I'll agree on the whitespace bit, especially if you're not used to it; becomes rather annoying when your program/script just halts in the middle of something because you added an extra space after your tab. Was a big issue for me when I started using python on a daily basis. It's less of an issue for me now since I have to use python practically everyday, but it still occurs.

Detox.enD
VeteranXV
Old
59 - 01-14-2010, 12:31
my issue with teh white space isn't so much designign a program as one person and making those kinds of mistakes.

my issue is with a real development environment. different text editors/IDE's use different spacing as 'tab', which is how most people use whitespace like that. which means if you use one editor and tab = 5 spaces, and i use another where tab = 4 spaces, then i can't work on your goddamn file without hitting the space bar. and its retarded that it even ****ing matters.

there are definatly ways around that, or to 'fix it', but it shouldn't be a problem in the first place.

btw - we've had this conversation before.

Falhawk
VeteranXX
Old
60 - 01-14-2010, 12:40
you know what the most important technology to know is?

Spoiler

Page 3 of 5

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Web Developers

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
free ▀█▀ █ ▀█▀ ▄█▀ , php?