Having a 'workplace-intervention' conversation with a friend/colleague by |R|u|s|t|y| - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Having a 'workplace-intervention' conversation with a friend/colleague
Page 1 of 8
|R|u|s|t|y|
VeteranXX
Old
1 - 08-03-2019, 06:58
One of our co-workers is extremely good at what he does, but a total nightmare at social skills and judging when he's being way too overbearing. He likes to totally hi-jack conversations and small meetings and act like he knows best...

While his ideas are good, he is terrible at suggesting/presenting them and incorporating himself into a healthy discussion at a 'team-member'. While we aren't really good friends, him and I have great conversations outside of the context of work while we're having coffee or lunch or whatever and we have a good time talking about random nerdy **** and he can be really funny.

Our coworkers approached me about having one of those 'come to Jesus' talks with him myself, even though that's def. not my schtick and I've never been good at bringing the hammer down...but I had to have a brief talk with him about it yesterday.

At the beginning he thought I was joking but I had to tell him I was serious and I didn't say anyone else had been saying anything, but I told him what was up and he was getting defensive and I could tell he was hurt about it, because he really loves his job and cares about it. After we talked, I tried to smooth it out with some 'but relax everything is good's and some nice text messages telling him to enjoy his weekend and chill out and everything, but I could tell it hurt him. :.......( Such a good fella...

Anyone else have to be the one to bring the hammer down on someone at work? Did u hate it?

:....(

cliffs:
- I was unofficially nominated to have a 'come to Jesus' talk with a coworker/friend about his dynamics with colleagues.
- He thought I was joking but I was serious and he got hurt by it.
- I felt really bad and tried to smooth it out after.
- I still feel real bad but I guess its necessary.
- :........(
-U ever had to?

Obligatory Spiderman pic

Sponsored Links
bowl of blood
Veteran++
Contributor
Old
2 - 08-03-2019, 07:18
love it or lose it

i used to work with this spergy guy who was the best programmer i've ever seen and insanely knowledgeable, problem was he could not stop talking and would literally stand at your desk for two hours straight telling you things you already know and that he already knows you know

he would also drag every meeting out for an extra hour because as soon as he got the floor he would not let go

people tried to point this out to him gently but he honestly couldn't help it, thank god i left that team because it was driving me insane

LGBR
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
3 - 08-03-2019, 07:34
rusty kys

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
4 - 08-03-2019, 07:37
You sound like a real ******* for putting someone down about **** like that, and a real ***** for feeling bad about it.

This is what bosses are supposed to be for, so co workers don't have to upset each other.

KingSobieski
VeteranXX
Old
5 - 08-03-2019, 08:18
I would fill his desk with packing peanuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amRam
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
6 - 08-03-2019, 09:16
Did you do it over text lol

amRam
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
7 - 08-03-2019, 09:17
Btw he's coming back with a gun. VAB GG

NoGodForMe
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
8 - 08-03-2019, 09:21
I know exactly what Rusty is talking about. Someone who thinks they know everything, yet they're broke because they (and their wife) can't stop spending money. Credit cards maxed out. When you tell these people about a budget and saving money, it goes in one ear and out the other. These people only last a year at a job, unless they are in an office by them self (no interaction with other people. I've known this person since high school, but our lives are completely different. These people will drag you down with their doom and gloom. I don't talk to him as much.

Last edited by NoGodForMe; 08-03-2019 at 09:47..
Zanthious
Tribalwar Admin
Old
9 - 08-03-2019, 10:23
i learned a few years back that no amount of baller code is going to make uyp for the fact ur impossible to work with. I can do just fine fixing slop or code slung **** if you are going to stop trying to educate me on **** you dont understand.

Data
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
10 - 08-03-2019, 11:57
Sounds like you did a **** job of talking to him. Also, unless you're his supervisor, I wouldn't have had this "talk" with him at all. It's not your place.

Whatever, the damage is done. Let us know if he quits over this so we can all have a good laugh at your expense.

Smiling Canadian
VeteranX
Old
11 - 08-03-2019, 12:09
If this back room bull**** happened at any business I've owned I'd be firing people until folks learned their place in the workplace. If you don't like who you work with quit and find another job.

groove
VeteranXX
Old
12 - 08-03-2019, 12:18
lol office drama

KingSobieski
VeteranXX
Old
13 - 08-03-2019, 12:36
I stopped in the middle of an interstate and threatened to smack a co worker. A month later I had his job. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
14 - 08-03-2019, 12:57
lol im 'that guy' .. gud thing i work at home :P

SeVeReD
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
15 - 08-03-2019, 13:14
The guy is probably the only worker who keeps your place going. He's tried to rally you guys, but you're all threatened by him. You all tried to lower him to your standards; now he'll quit and the whole biz will fall apart. Hope you can find another job.

Edofnor
VeteranXX
Old
16 - 08-03-2019, 14:08
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArakAtak View Post
You sound like a real ******* for putting someone down about **** like that, and a real ***** for feeling bad about it.

This is what bosses are supposed to be for, so co workers don't have to upset each other.

|R|u|s|t|y|
VeteranXX
Old
17 - 08-03-2019, 14:13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeVeReD View Post
The guy is probably the only worker who keeps your place going. He's tried to rally you guys, but you're all threatened by him. You all tried to lower him to your standards; now he'll quit and the whole biz will fall apart. Hope you can find another job.
this post is hilarious because of how off-target you are, if only you knew, but that makes it my own little joke kekekeke

aScotiA
VeteranXX
Old
18 - 08-03-2019, 14:15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeVeReD View Post
best possible outcome

Edofnor
VeteranXX
Old
19 - 08-03-2019, 14:21
rusty, i've got a personal problem w/ billy. you need to talk to him about it b/c we're all equals here which means u do as i say

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
20 - 08-03-2019, 20:44
This is what "managers" used to bring to the game. That is mostly gone from most places now and it has turned into a cluster**** of hurt feelings and lame productivity. Good luck ****ing scrum masters hahahaha

Page 1 of 8

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Having a 'workplace-intervention' conversation with a friend/colleague

Social Website Bullshit