Reload this Page I made this
Page 5 of 13
CERVICAL-KREMS
VeteranXV
Old
81 - 02-25-2017, 20:12
Quote:
Originally Posted by amRam View Post
Gorgeous Z, I love it. I wish I had the balls to cut mine up for flares. I just dropped a fresh SBF 363 motor in it built on a 4-bolt Dart block.. Im thinking the puny 205 rear tires are gonna be good for about nothing! Mine looks mostly stock from outside..

The body is perfect not a spec of rust on it. If it wasn't so clean I'd flare it for sure.
Dude, that's one clean Z. How long have you had that? Does it have the original r180? If so, I would look at doing an r200 swap, it'll more than handle that v8 when it hooks up. The smaller tires should be your fuse though. Which transmission, t5? You might be the only person I've seen to do a SBF that isn't a 302, it's cool to see something different.

I wouldn't cut it up if you can help it. I just did it because I knew I'd have to cram big rubber underneath mine eventually. If for any reason you do decide to flare it, make 100% sure you have the rear quarters re-welded. There's a local guy that didn't weld his and autocrosses it; that car is slowly tearing itself apart, but he won't listen to anyone.

Sponsored Links
Semantik
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
82 - 02-25-2017, 20:40
Thats great.

I made several barnwood tables...but both were left unfinished, for others. I would have preferred to put some sort of protective coating on them, but both were left untouched.

This spring I plan to make myself a new desk, and a side table for my son to take to college.

amRam
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
83 - 02-25-2017, 20:42
Quote:
Originally Posted by CERVICAL-KREMS View Post
Dude, that's one clean Z. How long have you had that? Does it have the original r180? If so, I would look at doing an r200 swap, it'll more than handle that v8 when it hooks up. The smaller tires should be your fuse though. Which transmission, t5? You might be the only person I've seen to do a SBF that isn't a 302, it's cool to see something different.

I wouldn't cut it up if you can help it. I just did it because I knew I'd have to cram big rubber underneath mine eventually. If for any reason you do decide to flare it, make 100% sure you have the rear quarters re-welded. There's a local guy that didn't weld his and autocrosses it; that car is slowly tearing itself apart, but he won't listen to anyone.
I've had it for about 4 years now. Has an R200 LSD in it already, as well as Arizona Z tubular control arms and adjustable coil overs, brakes etc etc. I did have a 302 in it for several years, had aluminum heads cam intake etc maybe made around 300hp. It was a lot of fun but it started burning oil and I said **** it, may as well go big. If I was swapping something from scratch I would've gone LS for sure, but since the 302 fabrication was already done, it made sense to stay on that platform.

T5 World-Class trans, I don't race or drag the car so Im hoping it'll perform just fine. Like you said, the tires will ultimately be the weak link so I should be ok.

amRam
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
84 - 02-25-2017, 20:49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAUL View Post
rear looks pretty good though

This kinda stuff gives me wood. Love the surge tank and fittings. Is it a return less system?

I wrapped my downpipes and part of the exhaust that goes under the passenger compartment. After 3 years, I pulled the exhaust for the engine swap and the wrapping was coming loose - the piping was rusted to **** underneath. I did it to keep heat out of my passenger compartment. Are there any performance gains for you in the header wrap?

DMAUL
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
85 - 02-25-2017, 21:00
Quote:
Originally Posted by amRam View Post
This kinda stuff gives me wood. Love the surge tank and fittings. Is it a return less system?

I wrapped my downpipes and part of the exhaust that goes under the passenger compartment. After 3 years, I pulled the exhaust for the engine swap and the wrapping was coming loose - the piping was rusted to **** underneath. I did it to keep heat out of my passenger compartment. Are there any performance gains for you in the header wrap?
The right most line is a return to the fuel tank. The car had the surge tank when I got it, so I don't know much about it except that I redid some of the lines because they were too short when I moved the regulator.

Essentially everything else in the picture I did. Intake, intercooler, exhaust, swirl tank, catch can, heat exchanger, side intakes...

The exhaust wrap wasn't necessary but there were some heat shields that I eliminated that I probably couldn't have if I hadn't wrapped the exhaust. I had to replace some of it a couple weeks ago because it was shredded by rubbing against a heat barrier I wrapped around some wires. The battery was in the trunk and the cables for it ran close enough to the exhaust that the loom started melting. I moved the battery to the engine bay (where the charcoal canister had been) so the cables won't be a problem anymore. No corrosion underneath the wrap but it had only been a year since install.

Alvarez
VeteranXX
Old
86 - 02-25-2017, 22:01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data View Post
I assume you're talking about the desk.

You can't tell from a render obviously, but the legs are aluminum and I've already specced them out with a metal fabricator. Only the top of the desk will be wood. I've given a lot of thought (worry) to how sturdy it will be and I'm not cutting any corners there.
Thats what I was saying about sketchup lol. Ya you can't tell from the model but good stuff! Metal will look/be much cooler in this design.

Danno
VeteranXX
Old
87 - 02-25-2017, 22:15
I built a small stand for my receiver/bluray/center speaker because everything out there is either too damn big or doesn't give enough room for the receiver to breath. Not posting pictures though cause if Bob Vila saw this thing he would bend over and vomit as if he just saw his daughters mangled corpse.

I also built my own ****ty speaker stands.

I lack the know how and patience to work with wood.

Edofnor
VeteranXX
Old
88 - 02-25-2017, 22:22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
if Bob Vila saw this thing he would bend over and vomit as if he just saw his daughters mangled corpse.
don't worry, he will only be able to dry heave after witnessing what sears has done to the craftsman brand over the last 5-10 years

KingSobieski
VeteranXX
Old
89 - 02-25-2017, 22:54
Crapsman*

Can't wait to get home and start building a shop in my basement. I got t8 daytime fluorescents installed before I left. $200 for 6 4ft fixtures + misc install items. Incredibly bright. Definite must for basements/garages. Been looking through Craigslist all week at wood tools. Buy some decent basic stuff (planer, joiner, table saw, band saw) for around $600 which to me seems pretty affordable if you can manage to build some decent furniture with it. Need to run 30amp circuit and add outlets to wall. My friend has a dust evac system he will sell me cheap. I'll be able to build practically anything. Been looking at 2x4 projects. Saw a coffee table on Pinterest done to look like USA flag. Seems interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by KingSobieski; 02-25-2017 at 23:14..
Gorlax
VeteranXX
Old
90 - 02-26-2017, 03:32
Great thread, I am thinking about turning half my garage into a workshop for wood working and RE stuffs...

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
91 - 02-26-2017, 05:02
A bandsaw in the shed is a really handy thing to have. Great for helping to dispose of dead hookers.

arsin
Veteran++
Old
92 - 02-26-2017, 23:00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Canadian View Post
End grain cutting board for a house warming gift. Black Cherry. It has the first 2 coats of mineral oil. I'll let it suck that up for a couple of days then seal with mineral oil/beeswax solution.

Post your projects.

Ain't retirement nice and look at you building stuff and such with!

Very nice similar to my chess board made in Gr 10. I wrapped up the borders in wood to keep the squares from separating, but yours is much thicker so this might not be a problem.

Prefer cheap plastic for cutting boards tho, easier to clean.

p ****ty gift tbh.

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
93 - 02-26-2017, 23:10
Lots of cool ass **** up in here.

Data
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
94 - 02-27-2017, 20:03
**** yeah.

arsin
Veteran++
Old
95 - 02-28-2017, 00:10
Quote:
neg rep'd I made this 02-27-2017 09:18 PM Smiling Canadian rage more. whats it like to be poor?
lolwut ?

I'm not retired and posting about a ****tycheap/health hazard woodworking re-gifting project.

Smiling Canadian
VeteranX
Old
96 - 02-28-2017, 00:21
I know you can't have nice things because of your poor financial decisions. If you had any type of actual skill you would be able to pull yourself out of poverty but alas it seems I'll be supporting you with my tax dollars until I die. Don't be envious of those more successful than yourself.

Bet you can't wait for that guaranteed minimum income so you can stop posting from the free wifi at Wendys.

KingSobieski
VeteranXX
Old
97 - 02-28-2017, 00:21
new members of the family

delta bandsaw
220v 12in table saw
drill
jointer
-buying a planer from the guy later-

need to clean/oil/tune up

$800 for everything

everything gets hosed in wd-40 to sit overnight

tomorrow i'll get a sharpening stone to clean all the machined surfaces

then move machines into basement and run new electrical plugs/make roll around stands for everything.

Last edited by KingSobieski; 02-28-2017 at 00:27..
Vance
VeteranXX
Old
98 - 02-28-2017, 00:22
arsin you suck

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
99 - 02-28-2017, 02:57
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsin View Post
lolwut ?

I'm not retired and posting about a ****tycheap/health hazard woodworking re-gifting project.
Shut up ellen

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
100 - 02-28-2017, 02:58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance View Post
arsin you suck

Page 5 of 13

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page I made this