[World Cup] football thread

I still don't understand how these unknown countries end up in the world cup. What leagues do they have? You're saying they throw together a bunch of people who can play soccer and that's it? Is the secret a few black people who can run fast with some white dudes? I mean, what is the formula for each country and can the USA do it?
2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ - Teams - FIFA.com
Look, there's all 32 teams. How did most of them get there? For example, I don't hear about a soccer league in Iran, yet they were there.

Recruiting/developing youth 'foreign fucks' is crucial to a winning soccer program. The USMNT is a bush league organization akin to Cleveland Browns. Our scouting, recruitment, and development is routinely beaten by 3rd world countries. (We're actively losing our prospects because the USMNT organization is such a dumpster fire).

How U.S. Soccer ignores talented Hispanic players like Jonathan Gonzalez - SBNation.com

Recruiting/developing youth 'foreign fucks' is crucial to a winning soccer program. The USMNT is a bush league organization akin to Cleveland Browns. Our scouting, recruitment, and development is routinely beaten by 3rd world countries. (We're actively losing our prospects because the USMNT organization is such a dumpster fire).

How U.S. Soccer ignores talented Hispanic players like Jonathan Gonzalez - SBNation.com
Nice article. Seems like the solution is complicated. But what I see is the MLS needs to be a league that develops players for our national team, like the NBA did for the Dream team. It's like the MLS and the national team are completely separate. Then where does the national team get the experience they need?

It's way before MLS that the scouting and development needs to happen.
Pulisic will be the best American soccer player we've ever had (comes from a soccer family, early development) and he got a passport from Croatia just to train properly in Europe (Croats probably steamroll France if he had defected to their national team).
Clint Dempsey didn't get discovered till he was essentially an adult. Talent needs to be discovered early and developed accordingly.

while I love soccer, I do think there are 2 problems that should be addressed. I think the goals need to be slightly bigger to improve the goal scoring and excitement. Ultimately, we got a good final today, but more often than not it's 0-0, or 1-0, or 1-1. Even increasing it some very slight amount like 4" on each side and height would make it that much harder to defend.

I also think they need to do something about the shootouts. What a dreadful way for a game to end. Perhaps something like after 90 minutes, it goes to sudden death with each team dropping a player after 5 minutes until someone wins.

I would have loved to see Croatia win today. They were much more exciting and inspiring to watch than France. Today, Croatia defeated themselves.

average height and reach of goalkeepers has probably grown that much since the goal size was standardised so that's not a really dumb idea.

Then again the strength and speed of attackers has also increased so it probably balances out. I don't see a big difference in scores from history to modern times.

Although it is boring as shit sometimes but that's what it is. Otherwise go watch Aussie rules.

I do like the idea of dropping a player every 10 mins or so, that could lead to some epic 2 on 2 action.

Here's another good one... 100 Women: 'I was a World Cup honey shot' - BBC News

Oh woe is me. My life is so much harder now that rihanna gave me publicity and i got a modeling contract. Ugh, I'm such a beautiful girl that I make copious amounts of money I never thought possible. Reading the trolls comments makes it so hard. I don't wish this kind of fame and wealth on anyone.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: gtfo here with that shit.

_102514514_reuters_fan.jpg

I kind of feel bad for women at world cup games now, because if you're on TV you're not attractive enough to be excluded from being on TV.

while I love soccer, I do think there are 2 problems that should be addressed. I think the goals need to be slightly bigger to improve the goal scoring and excitement. Ultimately, we got a good final today, but more often than not it's 0-0, or 1-0, or 1-1. Even increasing it some very slight amount like 4" on each side and height would make it that much harder to defend.

I also think they need to do something about the shootouts. What a dreadful way for a game to end. Perhaps something like after 90 minutes, it goes to sudden death with each team dropping a player after 5 minutes until someone wins.

I would have loved to see Croatia win today. They were much more exciting and inspiring to watch than France. Today, Croatia defeated themselves.

IMHO the only thing the need to do to increase scoring and open up the game more is remove off sides rules. More long passes down the field plus the defense will be forced to have players play similar to a safety or DB .(NFL) Force to stay back in case of break away's etc.

IMHO the only thing the need to do to increase scoring and open up the game more is remove off sides rules. More long passes down the field plus the defense will be forced to have players play similar to a safety or DB .(NFL) Force to stay back in case of break away's etc.

The sweeper was one of the most important players before offsides even existed for a bit after

Back