Thinking of joining EVE by Dark Curse - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > The Archives > Eve Online
Reload this Page Thinking of joining EVE
Dark Curse
VeteranXV
Old
1 - 07-26-2009, 17:01
Its been about 4 years since my last post so...

I'm thinking of joining EVE online but I have a couple of questions:

First and foremost, I want to spend one hour maximum per day playing this game. It will most likely be much less. I am about to start a new job tomorrow and I do not want this game to dominate my life. I played WoW for about two years and was competitive in that game, but I had time in college that I do not have now.

What I am looking for in EVE:

To create a character that would be suitable for PvP, and that I could walk away from for several days on end but still be semi competitive. When I say semi competitive, I mean the ability to get online for an hour, pwn some guys in PvP and then sign off (and while I'm offline, be training skills that would make me better at PvP).

About a year or two ago I signed up for a trial account, and while it was fun, it had a massive learning curve. I got by just fine in that game, but initially learning everything new was tough. I realized that the primary attributes that I initially picked wouldn't be the best for what I wanted out of the game which I mentioned above.

What is the best way to go about doing this?

Also, it seems as though I have to be a paying member in order to post topics on their forum - is this true or not?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
DocHolliday
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
2 - 07-26-2009, 17:05
Hour a day here or there could be rough. Lots of time needs to be spent on acquiring things needed to outfit your ship.

I had days where I spent 15 minutes in pvp and 2 hours tracking down all the components I needed for my replacement ship.

Bayer
VeteranX
Old
3 - 07-26-2009, 17:28
it's more of a usually 3 hour roams we do... and we do those almost nightly.. basically u have 3 choices, catch other pve peeps which is basically u go system to system scanning people down. or u go to big blob systems, hostile and go look for a fight, or u can go on fleet warfare which takes a couple hours to set up with logistics and everything and then shoot it out for another couple hours...

if ur gonna do only 1hour every couple of days... then solo roaming is the only option for u. you'll be catching other ratters and stuff but thats about it. and the main attraction of this game is flying with a dozen people that you're familiar with and owning people in the face. which generally we go out for like 5 hours at a time hah.

DrJonez
VeteranXX
Old
4 - 07-27-2009, 20:54
So I've been given the opportunity to play Eve for free, and I figured I should at least try to put some time into it.

I'm mostly clueless about how the game works. I haven't played in over a year. My character is like 70% industrial 30% pvp skills, so basically I can make good money and play a support role in pvp, but I'm not nearly skilled enough at the game to do any serious pvp stuff yet. I just wanna chill out and build up some cash doing industrial stuff, then ease my way into pvp once I have a clue about wtf is going on.

I just joined a corp with a guy I know from playing way back when. No clue whether his group is any good or not, so I'm wondering if it'd be better to play with you guys or not. I know you guys mostly pvp, but aren't you in an alliance with some care bears around somewhere?

I know I'd like this game if I could just get a foothold somewhere :/

Mogs
VeteranXX
Old
5 - 07-27-2009, 21:31
we do very little industrial stuff so you'd be pretty much off on your own which would suck if you're trying to get back into it

yeah its possible to mine solo but its boring as hell so i'd stick with the other corp for now, at least if they're gonna do mining ops or something (still gay)

Vlasic
VeteranXX
Old
6 - 07-27-2009, 23:34
Hey we moved up to 3rd all time in killing in WI, and we joined 6 months after the alliance formed. There's no reason we won't be 1st in a few more months.

We also have 5 of the top 10 all-time killing pilots.

sure the bulk of the alliance is carebearish, but if you're in FREEE, you have to kill things - it's what we do.

Van Krakien
Veteran³
Old
7 - 07-28-2009, 00:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlasic View Post
Hey we moved up to 3rd all time in killing in WI, and we joined 6 months after the alliance formed. There's no reason we won't be 1st in a few more months.

We also have 5 of the top 10 all-time killing pilots.

sure the bulk of the alliance is carebearish, but if you're in FREEE, you have to kill things - it's what we do.
you can kill things or just do nothing and get high off NyQuil. Thats were i am at in my eve career.

ps. **** vlasic

Bezel
VeteranXV
Old
8 - 07-28-2009, 18:47
Actually, most of our alliance is full of carebears that are horrible at pvp. Jonez would probably fit right in.

NAT Mav
TW Racing++
Old
9 - 07-28-2009, 23:23
FREEE also has the top 3 pilots all-time. GJ guys.

ViRGE
VeteranXX
Old
10 - 07-29-2009, 03:11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAT Mav View Post
FREEE also has the top 3 pilots all-time. GJ guys.
It would be the top 4 if you came back...

Vlasic
VeteranXX
Old
11 - 07-29-2009, 14:48
top 5 if I played as much as I did

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > The Archives > Eve Online
Reload this Page Thinking of joining EVE

Social Website Bullshit