[Peter Jackson] WWI Restored footage

been waiting for this, hopefully it hits the stores sometime soon

looks like it releases to theaters on the 16th

Sad to see revisionist film such as this. We now know that the great wars were won by oppressed niggers and single mothers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

recentish trailer different from OP:

Coincidentally, J.R.R Tolkien served in the First World War, where he started writing his stories about Middle-Earth. His friendships during the war inspired the relationships between the characters he created. Come full circle to see that Peter Jackson, the one who so brilliantly and ingeniously visualized his stories onto the big screen, do a ground breaking documentary during the war where Tolkien envisioned his world in the trenches.

Last edited:
I hope any and all profits from this are going to the War Archives or Vet support.

It seems weird to be celebrating being able to see something so terrible in such glorious detail and colour. I think I prefer my WW1&2 in black and white. Vietnam is best in colour.

I hope any and all profits from this are going to the War Archives or Vet support.

It seems weird to be celebrating being able to see something so terrible in such glorious detail and colour. I think I prefer my WW1&2 in black and white. Vietnam is best in colour.

There's no way Jackson is making much money given he colorized hundreds of hour of footage. Maybe he has a new technique that can colorize moving pictures as a group instead of frame by frame as traditionally done. He already untucked a bunch of original footage and made copies and donated back to one organization since it was in a poor state.

Anyways driving 4 hours to the movie theater. Got work nearby tomorrow up there in the AM.

This is a bit nit picky, but am I the only person bothered by calling it "restored" footage?

Restoring something can only return it to its original state and no better. If I restore a '56 Chevy it's not suddenly going to have A/C and crumple zones; it's going to be the same lumbering piece of steel it always was. Similarly, this footage was shot on janky black & white film stock at low (or inconsistent) frame rates. A true restoration would clean up damaged frames, but that's it.

This isn't a restoration. This is an enhancement. This is B&W film that has been digitally denoised, colorized, motion interpolated, and had probabilistic image enhancements applied to create detail where there previously was none. It looks fantastic, but it is not what was originally captured.

Last edited:
This is a bit nit picky, but am I the only person bothered by calling it "restored" footage?

Restoring something can only return it to its original state and no better. If I restore a '56 Chevy it's not suddenly going to have A/C and crumple zones; it's going to be the same lumbering piece of steel it always was. Similarly, this footage was shot on janky black & white film stock at low (or inconsistent) frame rates. A true restoration would clean up damaged frames, but that's it.

This it's a restoration. This is an enhancement. This is B&W film that has been digitally denoised, colorized, motion interpolated, and had probabilistic image enhancements applied to create detail where there previously was none. It looks fantastic, but it is not what was originally captured.

in other words, it's a cgi cartoon inspired by stock footage

i ain't watchin no 120 year olds get bombed unless it's in color! i respect my elders!

Back