Why Bioderms are Stupid

Okay, riddle me this - how are you going to unfuck the backstory if derms are removed? I'm not fond one way or the other, but this is going to absolutely RAPE the TRP guys.

I never really liked the bio derms all that much.
But one thing I did like about them was it gave people an option for player models(and skins for that particular player model).
And with the lack of having custom models in T2, models get old pretty fast. :\

I was never too fond by the art done by dynamix, the player models werent that great, and the bioderms were even worse.
If you're going to take out the bioderms and do humans only(im assuming)....at least try do something like custom models per tribe(ie: the Blood Eagle player models are different from the Storm, etc.). And have different skins per model as well. Dont limit yourselves with 1 light model, 1 med, and 1 heavy.

And while talking about models, I remember in the "ask the T3 dev team" thread, I posed the question about a heavy female class, instead of having some lame unisex heavy model....and of course you(thrax) blew the idea off saying, "who would want a heavy female." No offense to you as the project lead, but those kind of comments are rediculous. Now im not talking about some overheight fat(heavy) female model, I mean more of a juggernaut class female, like UT2k3 has for example. One tough female model.

You were talking about the processor speeds that will be avialable when the game gets released....at least try to have player models worthy of those speeds.

Anyways, main point I was trying to suggest is that it would be great to have different player(human) models per tribe, instead of just whipping up a new skin for each tribe. I mean, in T2, the difference between the storm and inferno players were colors, some gay recolor...how sad is that?

marthrax.gif

Derms hold their weapons different. That makes a huge difference to a lot of players. I can't stand playing as derm just for that reason. So how are you going to address the issue (if at all) of the players that like the weapon position on the derms?

dunce_boy said:
I never really liked the bio derms all that much.
But one thing I did like about them was it gave people an option for player models(and skins for that particular player model).
And with the lack of having custom models in T2, models get old pretty fast. :\

I was never too fond by the art done by dynamix, the player models werent that great, and the bioderms were even worse.
If you're going to take out the bioderms and do humans only(im assuming)....at least try do something like custom models per tribe(ie: the Blood Eagle player models are different from the Storm, etc.). And have different skins per model as well. Dont limit yourselves with 1 light model, 1 med, and 1 heavy.

And while talking about models, I remember in the "ask the T3 dev team" thread, I posed the question about a heavy female class, instead of having some lame unisex heavy model....and of course you(thrax) blew the idea off saying, "who would want a heavy female." No offense to you as the project lead, but those kind of comments are rediculous. Now im not talking about some overheight fat(heavy) female model, I mean more of a juggernaut class female, like UT2k3 has for example. One tough female model.

You were talking about the processor speeds that will be avialable when the game gets released....at least try to have player models worthy of those speeds.

Anyways, main point I was trying to suggest is that it would be great to have different player(human) models per tribe, instead of just whipping up a new skin for each tribe. I mean, in T2, the difference between the storm and inferno players were colors, some gay recolor...how sad is that?

More models mean more work. Less work is always better. They can get away with it looking nice tho by accesorizing. For example allow players to use differnt helmets (not as much work but still cool). Or do that thing quake 3 does and add a shader that hides poly gons (so you can strip pieces of player armor off and what not).

And Damge skins fucking ROCK. Add some of those. Green, yellow, and red states :D. You could get really creative and have an alpha bumpmap layer (can you use 2 alpha layers with pngs?). Have that represent armor dents or scratches or something.

just some thoughts.

Also I thought the tribes2 models were really good looking. Nicely done imo.

Sir Lucius said:
More models mean more work. Less work is always better. They can get away with it looking nice tho by accesorizing. For example allow players to use differnt helmets (not as much work but still cool). Or do that thing quake 3 does and add a shader that hides poly gons (so you can strip pieces of player armor off and what not).

And Damge skins fucking ROCK. Add some of those. Green, yellow, and red states :D. You could get really creative and have an alpha bumpmap layer (can you use 2 alpha layers with pngs?). Have that represent armor dents or scratches or something.

just some thoughts.

Also I thought the tribes2 models were really good looking. Nicely done imo.

Of course its more work...but to make a game takes work, and these ppl are getting paid to make a game....make it good.
I've seen amutures put out better, and more creative models than T2 has. The tribes models are simple and boring. Not to mention the skin maps completly suck(even worse on bioderms). They stretch so much, its horriable.

Im all for gameplay and what not, but I dont want them to do such a half-ass job on the models and what not like they did in T2. And I think different models per tribe would be a good start. Or say 2-3 different styles of player models for each sex. Even if it is slight changes, different head, different boots, etc...shit like that. Just get the concepts done, modeling after that is easy.

You know, from the time spent letting you accessorize and match your striped helmet with your black boots, they could be concentrating on other, more important things.

dunce_boy said:
Of course its more work...but to make a game takes work, and these ppl are getting paid to make a game....make it good.
I've seen amutures put out better, and more creative models than T2 has. The tribes models are simple and boring. Not to mention the skin maps completly suck(even worse on bioderms). They stretch so much, its horriable.

Im all for gameplay and what not, but I dont want them to do such a half-ass job on the models and what not like they did in T2. And I think different models per tribe would be a good start. Or say 2-3 different styles of player models for each sex. Even if it is slight changes, different head, different boots, etc...shit like that. Just get the concepts done, modeling after that is easy.

No, I agree with you compleatly about customizability. I love it. Personally I think differnt styles that players can select is a great idea in making people unique. I mean we have 10 differnt voices right? Let's mix it up a litte :]

But I disagree that the tribes2 models sucked. I would say they were the best looking objects in the game. You shouldn't be comparing them to the current models, tribes 2 is like Quake 2.75 in terms of graphics (not to say as good as quake 3 but much better than quake 2). If you look at the model evolution from tribes1 to tribes2 you get some really great design changes (the disc luncher comes to mind). I think tribes 3 will build on that and make changes of it's own.
I have no doubts that we'll see some really great player models for tribes 3.

Xagothae.1 said:
You know, from the time spent letting you accessorize and match your striped helmet with your black boots, they could be concentrating on other, more important things.

Sorry, but aesthetic design additions are VERY important for ANY upcomming game. It's little things like that which make the game that much more special.

Let me ask you this: what if tribes only had 1 voice for male and 1 voice for female? Would you care?

Would you care if there WAS no female model at all and it was only male?

I think you would -- I think you'd say to yourself, "You know what's missing from this game?" And I know this b/c whenever I play a new game that has only one voice or no female models or only like 10 differnt voice actions to choose from the game loses something for me.

It becomes more generalized and less unique. When you add to the scope of a player's customization you make the game a little more special. And while people may not realize exactally while it's so special it's that polish that will draw them in.

Sir Lucius said:
Sorry, but aesthetic design additions are VERY important for ANY upcomming game. It's little things like that which make the game that much more special.

Let me ask you this: what if tribes only had 1 voice for male and 1 voice for female? Would you care?

Would you care if there WAS no female model at all and it was only male?

I think you would -- I think you'd say to yourself, "You know what's missing from this game?" And I know this b/c whenever I play a new game that has only one voice or no female models or only like 10 differnt voice actions to choose from the game loses something for me.

It becomes more generalized and less unique. When you add to the scope of a player's customization you make the game a little more special. And while people may not realize exactally while it's so special it's that polish that will draw them in.

You're right, but to me, there's a fine line between 'too little' and 'too much'. Take T2 for example, it had three different models, a number of different skins for each, in addition to different voices for each model. To me, this was more than enough. Perhaps going with more 'accessories' would simply be "too much."

yeah Lucius, I see what you're say, and im glad you agree with me. As far as T2 models go, its just an opinion...you make a great anology, Quake 2.74....thats how I see it to, but the problem I have with that is that T2 came out a while after Q3, so the bar got moved up a bit...and they missed the bar on T2 :\ But, they were limited with the torque engine...so I cant wait to see what engine their using and what it can support.

and Xago, I dont think T2 had "more than enough" customizable things. The more the better. Being able to custumize your player is a great thing...and I think more player models is a great way to do it.

And as far as workload...these are things that can be added throughout the development. If they plan it right, they can make it pretty damn easy to add another player model/skin/voice/etc. These arent things that slow the development down.

Back