[T3] Base Design -- gonna make them have a purpose? by Sir Lucius - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page [T3] Base Design -- gonna make them have a purpose?
Page 1 of 2
Sir Lucius
VeteranXX
Old
1 - 03-24-2003, 02:25
I know we're dealing with a ficticious world, and I know it seems silly to be fighting over a couple of flags, but one thing that botherd me about tribes 2 was the base design.

No, not the fact the bases were huge, just the fact that they seemed to be there as an obsticle.

Er, let me try to make it more clear. The tribes universe has a pretty unique style of base design. I have no problems with the style, it's just the real life functionality application of the bases themselves. If you're going to spend a lot of time making really cool player models and beutiful enviorments, I think you should spend just as much time making your bases "work".

It's hard for me to say what "works" tho (I don't really know yet), but I can say what doesn't work. First of all, pointless rooms -- I do not like them. Tribes 3 was litterd with these, back areas and pasaages that led to dead ends or has no real point other than to make a maze. I'd much rather see some design elements go into making the differnt rooms (if they're going to be there) make more sense. For example, if you're going to have a dead end room make it the bunks, or the cafiteria, or the jail cells. Rooms should have a reason for being there even if that reason is simply for immersion. Gonna have a generator room? I think it should look like one (however you make that look).

I think base flow is another important factor. Humans try to not build their buildings as mazes (for the most part) and I think getting from one part to another needs to be intuitive. A good way to do this is unique elements like, "Oh, I know I've passed that water foutian before!" And signs are a big help! "Vehicles Docks ->"

Then there are doors and windows. I'd really like to see some nice windows in t3 -- They do have bulletproof plexiglasss 2000 years into the future right? Tribes2 seemed really quake 1 ish without this and I thought it was out right silly to boast about the high indoor framerates. Doors should be placed where it makes sense. I know it's great to think about gameplay, but there's no reason you can't have gameplay, and a base that flows -- in fact, itutition should kick in if the base is made right and gameplay will actually IMPROVE. Don't stick a door in the back just b/c the base needs another enterance. Don't feel like you need to put an opening at the top. Just do what makes sense for the base -- rather than have a radom door, have a loading dock or something. I dunno, be creative.

Ramps: they're nice and all, and I know they take less polys, but stairs look a lot cooler in most cases. I know, there's the jetpack and all, so maybe it's a universe style element b/c you've got the chutes there too. It's hard to say actually, so nm.

Lights. Show me where the lights are comming from -- I like lights :] (ermergancy light too!) Oh...nv googles would actually be cool in that case (lights out), but that's off topic.

Outdoors shoulc have bunkers, watch towers fences, or none of the above. What ever promotes good gameplay, but it should make sense still too.

That's all I really have to say, I kind of started rambling and barking orders like a tutorial so don't take that personally. This was all just personal opinion.

Sponsored Links
bdm
VeteranX
Old
2 - 04-12-2003, 20:04
all i basically want to add is STOP w/ the notches!!! if i get caught on 1 more sill notch in t2 i'm gonna suicide bomb a major computer programming HQ =p ... Seriously though ppl should not get caught up on doorways/passageways just becasue the base designer thought some trim would look nice.

as for empty rooms and such.. at least for ctf you arnt indoors to much... arena, seige or soemthing maybe yes.. i think the empty rooms are there for mappers to decorate. no purpose to put a lot of work into something that may not be seen. BUT as is. there arent many things to put in the rooms when mapping .. cept some crates.

Wils
VeteranX
Old
3 - 04-13-2003, 01:33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Lucius
I know we're dealing with a ficticious world, and I know it seems silly to be fighting over a couple of flags, but one thing that botherd me about tribes 2 was the base design.

No, not the fact the bases were huge, just the fact that they seemed to be there as an obsticle.
In a way though, that's exactly what they're there for, in a purely abstract sense. They don't serve any other purposes beyond providing cover for players trying to kit up or hold onto the opposing team's flag in a stalemate.

As for the unique style - yes, to a point, although the 'bunch of rooms with no reason for existing other than to provide a route to somewhere else' has already been done to death in several popular deathmatch-biased FPS games

I guess T3 is due out some time in 2004. That being the case, everything else you mention pretty much HAS to be in the game if it's to compete against the best looking games around at the time (Thrax has mentioned that it'll be competitive in previous threads on the subject, iirc). Environments will need to be believable, even if they're not necessarily grounded in realism.

Rabid Poop
Veteran++
Old
4 - 04-13-2003, 01:57
how about sniper towers that actually provide cover.

PyroTeknik
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
5 - 04-13-2003, 01:59
There is no such thing as cover in a game where most weapons are explosive and people can fly over anything :o

Maybe if they bring back the CROUCH.
Har har har har...
(Seriously though, why did we even have it in T1?)

Sir Lucius
VeteranXX
Old
6 - 04-13-2003, 02:00
So you could crouch ski exploit.

Rabid Poop
Veteran++
Old
7 - 04-13-2003, 02:01
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroTeknik
There is no such thing as cover in a game where most weapons are explosive and people can fly over anything :o
FORCEFIELDS!$!#@$!@#$

no seriously, some well designed little huts can provide adequate cover, while allowing a sniper to cover a certain area.

Scourge
VeteranXX
Old
8 - 04-13-2003, 21:45
if you can see them, they can see you (in the current ones). Bunkers that make you tough to see without making it tough for you to see are key. Mesh coverings/camo do well

Slash
VeteranX
Old
9 - 04-14-2003, 00:14
I've always wanted a few types of bases with built-in bunkers in them that you could shoot out of but not shoot into. The only idea that I can think of for tribes to do this is with "one-way" shields. You can fire out one side, but not into it. And if the power goes down, the bunker is compromised.

That's a cool ****ing idea imo.

Vurt
VeteranX
Old
10 - 04-14-2003, 00:25
floating bases pls

TeckMan
VeteranXV
Old
11 - 04-14-2003, 00:55
How about we have sniper towers, except for instead of providing cover for snipers they send out killer robots to kill anyone with a laser rifle in their loadout?

snow
VeteranX
Old
12 - 04-14-2003, 01:28
hows this for an idea, have an option at a special point in the base to move the entire floating base :O

that would make it ****ing difficult for HO to have routes for.

Thrax Panda
God Complex4
Old
13 - 04-14-2003, 02:39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vurt
floating bases pls

Ixiterra
VeteranXV
Old
14 - 04-14-2003, 02:51
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow
hows this for an idea, have an option at a special point in the base to move the entire floating base :O

that would make it ****ing difficult for HO to have routes for.
I always thought it woulda been cool, in like Broadside for example, that the base crashed to the ground if the gens were down. Then it could be all slanted and **** and crazy mashedness!

Data
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
15 - 04-14-2003, 02:57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrax Panda
I think floating bases just got the green light...

Vurt
VeteranX
Old
16 - 04-14-2003, 05:28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrax Panda
CAW

PyroTeknik
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
17 - 04-14-2003, 14:03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasherdawg
I've always wanted a few types of bases with built-in bunkers in them that you could shoot out of but not shoot into. The only idea that I can think of for tribes to do this is with "one-way" shields. You can fire out one side, but not into it. And if the power goes down, the bunker is compromised.

That's a cool ****ing idea imo.
I don't think you need to do something that complicated.
Just go all medieval style and make towers with little slanted windows so only snipers can shoot through (and make the inside very dark so it's tough to see if there's an enemy at that window).

Slash
VeteranX
Old
18 - 04-15-2003, 18:14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroTeknik
I don't think you need to do something that complicated.
Just go all medieval style and make towers with little slanted windows so only snipers can shoot through (and make the inside very dark so it's tough to see if there's an enemy at that window).
I fail to see what's complicated about a "one-way" forcefield.

Although I like your idea also.

Sir Lucius
VeteranXX
Old
19 - 04-15-2003, 18:17
I think by "complicated" he ment "gay"

Why would you put in a wall of invincibility for snipers to annoy you even more?

Let's add god codes too, iddqd pack.

Slash
VeteranX
Old
20 - 04-15-2003, 18:22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Lucius
I think by "complicated" he ment "gay"

Why would you put in a wall of invincibility for snipers to annoy you even more?

Let's add god codes too, iddqd pack.

Sure and while we're at it, iddspispopd, OH OH and idkfa! can't forget that one. Need the keys.

Last edited by Slash; 04-15-2003 at 18:24..
Page 1 of 2

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page [T3] Base Design -- gonna make them have a purpose?

Social Website Bullshit