11 Maps? No Floating Bases?

TheGrudge

Veteran XV
In the beta, there was a way that you could view map names for all the available maps... even though you could only play 4 of them. I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about. There were 15 map names. Not only that, but I have pictures of all 15 maps on my computer. Menzo also stated that there would be 15 maps in the final version. In at least 2 maps that I have pictures of... there are floating bases....

YET!!!!

In the www.planettribes.com review... here is a bit of information that has left me confused and quite honestly... mad.

"The game features 11 levels, four of which can be found in the multiplayer demo. The multi-player levels are tuned for fast and furious game play harkening back to the original Tribes game. While the floating bases seem to have been left behind, the maps are still interesting. The latest maps have bases that kind of have a pre-fab feeling and several are placed in the blasted ruins of a previous city. It adds a new aspect to the game that was not in the previous versions."

What... the... hell...

This is sort of a moot point, but according to Tribes canon floating bases were the invention of the Diamond Sword... Seeing as how they don't exist/haven't been discovered yet in TVs setting it makes sence that there's no floating bases.

Naw, screw it. They're just fun. Put 'em in!

That's what I'm saying. There are not only pics of maps with floating bases, but they have names as well. I've even seen some video footage of some of these bases. Even if they are writing their review with only playing one game type... therefore not seing the floating bases.... what's the deal with their only being 11 maps when Menzo himself said there would be 15 and there were 15 in the beta's map list?

Another interesting point. Why would a site such as www.planettribes.com... a webpage devoted to the entire Tribes franchise... write a review without looking over all the maps and stuff? It doesn't make sence to me that they would only try one multiplayer game type... and then say that there are no floating maps. Seems like they would know better.... which makes me believe even more that they are correct.

Yet...

Of all the things the devs could POSSIBLY leave out of T:V... why the hell would they take out the maps with floating bases when SO MANY people have complained and/or voiced that they want them in the game? It's one of those things that makes Tribes what it is.

BitRaiser said:
This is sort of a moot point, but according to Tribes canon floating bases were the invention of the Diamond Sword... Seeing as how they don't exist/haven't been discovered yet in TVs setting it makes sence that there's no floating bases.

Naw, screw it. They're just fun. Put 'em in!
Uh, the first screen shot ever released had a floating base:
1.jpg

...and theres been many recent shots with some round floating bases.

Didn't menzo correct himself and say that there are in fact 15 maps in retail? Some of which are those in screenshots that display floating bases. They may just not be the same style, design or feel of those from the previous in the franchise.

that review seems like it's talking more about the demo than anything. They also got the map count wrong.

4 maps in demo + 11 other maps = 15 maps.

I'm sure floating bases are in.

UPDATE:

I guess this post got brought to their attention some how because they changed the review. That paragraph now says:

The game features 11 (15 -ed.) levels, four of which can be found in the multiplayer demo. The multi-player levels are tuned for fast and furious game play harkening back to the original Tribes game. While the floating bases seem to have been left behind (for most maps -ed.), the maps are still interesting. The latest maps have bases that kind of have a pre-fab feeling and several are placed in the blasted ruins of a previous city. It adds a new aspect to the game that was not in the previous versions.

Why didn't they just change the 11 to 15 and the floating bases sentance to: Only a few maps with floating bases are provided, but they are all great. Or something along those lines. Why put the "ed" in there?

SINep said:
Uh, the first screen shot ever released had a floating base:
1.jpg

...and theres been many recent shots with some round floating bases.
Holy sht. I totally forgot about that disc launcher model.

It looks pretty cool, but I don't think I'd ever get used to vertical discs.

Yes it did, thank you. Rifter mainly focused on the Single player experience for this review, sorry that was not caught sooner. I know there are, and have played, multi-player maps that feature floating bases.

Why put the "ed" in there? So we do not look as if we are hiding our mistake.

Last edited:
What sucks is that not only is that kickass looking gun model not in the game (although I agree... vertical discs would be odd)... that base has not shown up in any pics recently. I'm guessing it was an old idea... although I would LOVE to have a HUGE floating base that you would have to get maybe 5 players together to infiltrate.

BlackjackTHZ said:
Yes it did, thank you. Rifter mainly focused on the Single player experience for this review, sorry that was not caught sooner. I know there are, and have played, multi-player maps that feature floating bases.

Why put the "ed" in there? So we do not look as if we are hiding our mistake.

Hey... at least it was fixed at all ya know? Thank you... and I understand about the "ed" now. Makes complete sence. Great review. In fact... I feel kinda bad for making a topic based soley on the mistake of the review. I'm sure you understood my surprise when I thought that what was said in the review could actualy be "True".

TheGrudge said:
What sucks is that not only is that kickass looking gun model not in the game (although I agree... vertical discs would be odd)... that base has not shown up in any pics recently. I'm guessing it was an old idea... although I would LOVE to have a HUGE floating base that you would have to get maybe 5 players together to infiltrate.

Thats why they made tribes 2.

KambuL said:
Thats why they made tribes 2.

And I played Tribes 2. What does that have to do with them not being in this game? The lack of a base like that in T:V isn't going to make me not buy it or not love playing it. It's not even that big of a complaint to me... but it's a complaint none the less.

For everyone with map concerns, chill. The community will be making new maps and remakes of old ones in no time, I'm sure.

Back