Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited

I always get a ton of book ideas from threads like this and am always grateful of TW for it, my only hope is that I give back as much as I get from this glorious and wonderful community

Only read about half the thread, did anyone mention Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone by Gregory Keyes?

It's in a vein with Ice and Fire, but not as dark or as involved in general. Plus its only 4 books and has an actual conclusion (which I haven't yet reached).

Pretty good stuff.

Most anything R.A. Salvatore, DragonLance Chronicles, The Shannara books by Terry Brooks.

And the first sci-fi/fantasy series I ever read, "The Maztica Trilogy" by Douglas Niles. Nothing like the above books mentioned, but also not on the same level of awesomeness, but still a great read.

No Man's World: Black Hand Gang by Pat Kelleher.

Nothing too serious with this one. It's billed as "Noir-Sci-Fi" and feels a fair bit like old 50s-style sci-fi. Take a bunch of WWI British troops in the middle of fighting Germans and have them transported to an alien planet. Pretty fun stuff if you're looking for a light read.

I just started A Hymn Before Battle by John Ringo, which is the first book of the Posleen War series. It's ok.

Oh hey, I almost missed this.

Finish that, IMMEDIATELY read Gust Front. He learned a LOT writing Hymn, and Gust Front is a massive improvement. Best book in the series, he's gone kind of wierd and preachy on us since then.

Anathem by Neil Stephenson is pretty fucking good, finished it the other day.

You really have to preffice that statement with, "its really deep, kinda technical, and you should read his Diamond Age or Especially his Cryptonomicon novel and see if you like that before tackling the beast that is Anathem...sp?"

Yea, say all that before recco'ing Ana.

I second the Takeshi Kovacs series also, just finished and have to ay, its great: solid action, weird, belevable tech, and fascinating world altered by the fact that everyones brain is backed up on a 'cortical stack'.

i just finished the neutronium alchemist, i thought it was better than the reality dysnfunction. reading the naked god now which i think is better than them both so far

is this kingkiller stuff good?
Mild spoiler, wont ruin the books.

Spoiler

coverjtc.jpg

Book is better than the [strike]movie[/strike] video game.

Back