[TrailerPark] Crock Pot Pulled Pork

Making this sauce on Saturday. Ive tried twenty bottled BBQ sauces by now, surely, and never thought any were amazing.

Any other long cook ideas other than pulled pork? Or is that the king of recipes for soaking up a BBQ sauce?

Stews are a good long cook option as well.

I've made this twice, both times turning out amazing. I make my own sauce though which is similar in base ingredients to nigafools. This last time I used a peach, mango, and pineapple juice cut with water (1.25 cups juice with 0.75 cups water) as my first attempt (with straight apple juice) was a little too sweet. I also used a 5 lb shoulder which took 7 hours in a newer crockpot.

Lesson learned when using stainless steel cookware. I always used my cast iron skillet to brown the meat but got some nice stainless cookware for my birthday in January. When I added the meat to the cast iron it never smoked up, but my god, when I added the meat to the stainless I ran around the house pulling smoke alarms. My guess is that I never let the case iron get hot enough to smoke but it always did a great job at searing.

making the sauce now. added about half more garlic, and knocking down the ketchup to 1.25 cup.

got some butt to do it w/, store was out of brisket. but they were running a last day sale for 2for1 babyback ribs. being Super Bro Sunday and all that, i'm stuck with doing the sauce on the ribs today, and the butt later.

so how would you make ribs in an oven?
i've never done it, some google and the butcher said to cover tray in foil, put a bit of water in the tray, heat for 15 or so at 350, until the water evaporates, then cover with your sauce. another 10 maybe and recoat?

how would you make ribs in oven, getting as much sauce nigasauce infused as you can, while preventing dryness.

Cut sugar by half.
Pressed garlic instead of chopped, so I increased to 6 cloves.
Cut molasses to a bit more than half.
Lowered ketchup to 1.5 cups.
Could only find honey jack at nearest store.
Did not dilute vinegar. The sauce was caustic to breathe and burned to the taste. Was awesome. Don't think I'll be reducing vinegar next time.

Sauce itself was the best BBQ sauce I've had. But I've never made one fresh, homemade before.

Only problems were the onions. Didnt chop finely enough so the sauce had chunks of onions. Not a bad thing, but made painting the ribs over and over a bit harder than if the sauce was uniform and without chunks.

Used up most of it on ribs. Going to make it again for the butt I got yesterday.

Don't think I'll change much. Just process onions, maybe simmer onions in turmeric as well (maybe paprika too), though no idea if it will work since alcohol isn't exactly oil. Definitely doubling garlic, maybe chopped instead of pressed. Wondering if pressed is why I lose flavor on heating to such an extent.

Amazingly easy to make.

lTM4HOK.jpg

Back