[GUNS] I can't decide what rifle I want to purchase.

Hey sorry went out of town and then dealing with local shit......anyway the Remington I am looking at is the PCR so it already has the upgraded stock and free floating handguard...all I have to do is drop a better trigger in.

I never thought of 338 due to cost of the rifles and rounds.....seems excessive. All I will be doing is range bench shooting. Buddies and brother trying to out do each other, no comp. My options are pretty limited in that regard here in Illinois. No prone or standing. We can get any rifle anyone else can get and mag size, but suppressors unfortunately are a no go....yet. I heard talk of legislation being floated around to change that but I am not counting on it.

I've been leaning towards the Ruger Precision for some time now, but recently after watching some review videos the PCR and Bergara entered the picture.

I could go 223 and use my existing ammo for my Colt LE-6920, but I do admit I want something more powerful and who knows I might move out of Illinois or go hunting some day (hopefully sooner then later as this state sucks donkey dick). Also I want to be able to stretch its legs some and learn some of the finer points of shooting. I am learning that once you get out a certain distance you have to do more than just zero a scope in and point and squeeze. I am interested in the physics of it and that the attention to detail is very important. DOPE.

Last edited:
What are you using it for? If you're trying to kill something somewhat large, 223 is a little light imho. .308 definitely does the job. But if you're looking to target shoot, 223 is cheaper

I found a good thread on ar15.com talking about the Bergara. Seems some RPR users are switching to them. I think I might make the plunge after next week.

In the next month or so I want to pick up a precision bolt action rifle in the $800-$1100 range. I already have a few optics picked out, but I am torn on which rifle I should get. My front runners are:

Bergara B14 HMR
Ruger Precision
Remington 700 PCR

I am looking at these in .308 for a few reasons. Cost of ammo (I don't load my own brass) and ranges I shoot at. The range I usually go to has a max of 100 yards. Another one nearby goes out to 600 max. If I had the chance to regularly shoot passed 600 yards I'd get the 6.5 Creedmoor in a heartbeat, but it seems like a waste to me with my options. Anyone have any experience with these rifles or have another suggestion?

TLDR: Merica!

It's hard to recommend anything without knowing what you want to do with it. What are your goals? What are you trying to accomplish exactly?

Ok I will repeat. Bench shooting. 100 yards to start. After will step up to range with 600 yard max. No comp....for now. Mainly just going with brother and a couple buddies. Want to try learning some of the finer points of precision shooting and have some fun. Where it goes from there? No clue.

Ok I will repeat. Bench shooting. 100 yards to start. After will step up to range with 600 yard max. No comp....for now. Mainly just going with brother and a couple buddies. Want to try learning some of the finer points of precision shooting and have some fun. Where it goes from there? No clue.

If it's between those choices just for target shooting at that range, then I'd go with that Rem 700 PCR in 308 all the way. If you're open to other options, but want to stay with that look and feel, then consider the Rem 700 Magpul in 300 win mag. Can't really go wrong either way.

Model 700 Magpul | Remington

Honestly I am starting to lean away from the Remington, been seeing a lot of complaints regarding the trigger and action not being smooth.

Watching some reviews on the Bergara BMP.....I don't want to spend that much, but damn that rifle looks and shoots nice. I like the sub moa guarantee as well.

Just remember that at only 100 yards your .308 is still pretty much gaining elevation. It's one of those annoying distances for the round. So, don't beat yourself up over groups. Pretty much comes down to ammo quality if you are benching. Especially if the bench isn't set properly and you get "treadmill" effect.

Last edited:
Like I said in my first post I would just go with the 700 for what you are doing. You will change out the trigger group anyway no matter what rifle you buy until you find something you like. Use the money you save for a better stock. You are just bench shooting not benchrest shooting I'm assuming. Get a good quality rest like a lead sled for zeroing you rifle and a good bipod for when you are shooting with your buddies. I really like the Atlas bipod because I used them in the field. Also the Harris with the notched legs is top quality as well.

I know you want .308 but for what you are doing I'd really look at the rounds I mentioned in my first post. If you are staying in that 100 to 600 yard range the 308 will perform well at 600 but not as well at 100. I'm assuming you are going to be using box ammo to start with. You can hand load rounds that will do very well at 100 but it has been my experience that finding an off the shelf round that does well short and long my be tough.

A other caliber you may want to look at is 6mm Remington or 243 Winchester. Both of these round perform very well from 75 - 800 meters.

just get a colt 6920 and be done w it

if u want to spend big bux and look real pretty get a daniel defense m4

Back