T:V [Observer Pool]

Evita

Veteran XV
How about giving the server the option to run an observer pool. Say the server wants to run a 28 player server, but 32 players can be in the server, with the other 4 sitting in observer watching the game waiting for a spot to open. The number of observers allowed in the pool would be an option for the server.

The observer would be forced to play when a spot opens. He would automatically fill the spot needed as determined by the server.

Just an idea I had.

the observer will go afk and will still be afk when he gets forced to join :\
good idea though.. waiting outside servers and never getting to join cuz your not fast enough sucks :\

In your example you would have 4 observers doing nothing except using up server bandwidth, which would make playing worse for Everyeone. If a server wants 28 people to play then why not make the player limit 28..

then instead of ppl refreshing trying to get a spot, you will have them refreshing trying to get a spot in obs, which would suck even more

YAY im in, now i can wait a bit longer till 4 other ppl playing drop then i can actually play.

ut2k3 has the ability for admins to set a different amount of max spectators than players. The annoying thing however is when the server is out of obs spots but there are still player spots open (i.e. 2 people are 1v1 in a 2v2 server and you want to watch untill it's over). Also show the amount of obs and player spots available in the server browser. Also don't have a shitt shitty browser like ut2k3 where every server updates about once a minute. Also in 2k3 you have to reconnect to go obs which sucks, but you can access the server browser while still connected to a server which is cool.

snow said:
then instead of ppl refreshing trying to get a spot, you will have them refreshing trying to get a spot in obs, which would suck even more

YAY im in, now i can wait a bit longer till 4 other ppl playing drop then i can actually play.
you just described 5150's tr2 server back in the day. it's mega fucking stupid and makes it so there's only 1 active server going when there's enough people wanting to play for 2 servers.

TeckMan said:
you just described 5150's tr2 server back in the day. it's mega fucking stupid and makes it so there's only 1 active server going when there's enough people wanting to play for 2 servers.

That's a standard feature of TR2.

I like the observer pool. But how are they going to handle the web casting aspect of T:V? T2 got really cool when someone made T2TV, but it was still difficult to cast matches. If T:V had built in tools, then observers (or casters) could have mulitple camera angles, etc. The casters in T2 needed a quick jump to either flag, gens, bases, flag carrier, etc. This functionality could be also given to observers.

Back