No rocket launcher in t3 please

PyroTeknik said:
Why do you keep saying it's the same as a mortar?
It has to hit dead on to do that kinda damage... And if we make it dumbfire, that's gonna be tough.

I think what they may mean is it's a turret killer, and direct hits are stonger than the disc. If you're going to weaken those aspects of it then why bother having another disc launcher that has its settings tweaked?

filsinger said:
they've stated that there will be vehicles, but they wont be made mandatory

They aren't madatory now...

Missle is pretty useless now, everyone carries flares and as pointed out most the vehicles can outrun a missle, base missle turrets really suck since they take longer to track and lockon than a hand held does.

As a person that came from Renegades in T1 I don't have a problem dealing with turrets the way a lot of base players do. Just part of it and you adapt. I do miss rocket jumping as a heavy though! ;)

Last edited:
No, missles suck. If you have to deal with missle turrets and every newb and their brother using missle launchers, you will run out of flares LONG before running out of missles.

Secondly, the missle turrets and launchers basically means that everyone must carry flares, thus rendering other grenade types useless.

I think it used to take a lot more skill to take down base turrets in tribes1. Buy virture that they were reletivly tough to destory if the gens weren't down.

In tribes 2 you have an auto turret killer, which is really kind of stupid if you think about it.

I wasn't too fond of the shrike's turret killing ability either. I really thought when the scout fired missles it took more skill. I'm curious to see what the scout/shrike of tribes 3 is like.

Sir Lucius said:
I wasn't too fond of the shrike's turret killing ability either. I really thought when the scout fired missles it took more skill. I'm curious to see what the scout/shrike of tribes 3 is like.

Scouts fire missiles way too fast. But they still suck. ;) How well do Shrikes take down turrets? I barely ever play T2 so...

Flatscan is right on the money in my opinion. There is *nothing* that upsets ballance in Tribes 2 (not even the skill-less missiles) than blind mortar spam. Obviously you can defeat precision spam, but one only need look to the PUBS (the likely FIRST TEST venue for any new title) to see a member of a top 5 team lead his pub team to victory due only to the fact that he loaded his air waypoints and others didn't. Now that, is skill-less, and more detrimental to the game than any missile launcher.

Golgac said:
While this is very true, I think he might be talking from a t2 point a view.

Also vehicles in t1 were absolutely worthless so yes make them like that plz.
Youve never seen lecatPuke scout D have you? :lol:

Sir Lucius said:
I think it used to take a lot more skill to take down base turrets in tribes1. Buy virture that they were reletivly tough to destory if the gens weren't down.

not so sure about that. it was easy to take them out if you flew above them and just dropped grens and plasma on them. woudln't really call that "skill".

The main problem with the missile launcher in T2 was its fire-and-forget method. This is why its such a skill-less weapon.
Maybe they could do a little more to the missile launcher in T3 in making it a lase weapon. You still need to lock on to a target to fire the missile, but you then have to guide the missile yourself by keeping the target in your crosshair. Lose the target, the missile just carries on in the direction it was going, unable to lock on to another target or retarget the original target. This would make the missile launcher practicaly useless in the hands of a newbie.
Just an idea.

Got Haggis? said:
not so sure about that. it was easy to take them out if you flew above them and just dropped grens and plasma on them. woudln't really call that "skill".

i htink hes talking about base turrets..like on DX

a dumbfire rocket launcher is a stupid idea in itself, a normal rocket launcher serves no purplose in a game like tribes, and a seeking one is gay

if you want something that will fly straight and go boom when it hits something.. use the disc launcher... thats what its there for

Missile launcher locking on players = gay

Sir Lucius said:
And only let heavy and mediums use them :]

Finnaly make a weapon that starts at med class

You mean like the Missile launcher?

IMO, the missile launcher needs to GO --> give medium and heavy armors a "Beefed" cg or something to take out those vehicles with...
I'm tired of carrying flares all the time, esp. on servers where my ping is high.... (y'know, where ya die and THEN you hear the lock-on tone...) Perhaps an Anti-Vehicle Mine? Maybe to much room for abuse with that idea, but i've been drinking since noon :)

You just dug up a 3 month old thread to bring up a point that's already been closed (that being, there is no t3 missle launcher).

As to what you're quoting me on, I have no idea what it's in refernce to, and I don't feel like digging it up, but I would hope I wouldn't point out something so blatently obvious from tribes2 (I've done dumber things tho).

Golgac said:
Depends on if vehicles are overpowering or not. Rocket launchers should just be for taking down vehicles, not people.

So basically tone down the vehicles so that there will be no need for the rocket launchers.

werd

Back