[T:V] Any updates from the scripting community?

exogen

Veteran XX
I know a bunch of you hopeful scripters started looking at UnrealScript and the like so you could get a head start on Tribes: Vengenace modifications. At least I hope there are some of you here...

I'm wondering, for those of you who have been fooling around with the Unreal engine scripting now, how's the future looking? What are some of the most important things you don't think we'll be able to? Or some of the best that we can?

Shinigami said:
I hope I'll prefer not to play a mod!

heh, I spelled out modifications so as to avoid the game mod implication. I meant modification as in to your personal installation, like scripts etc.

exogen said:
heh, I spelled out modifications so as to avoid the game mod implication. I meant modification as in to your personal installation, like scripts etc.

There will be no clienside scripting in T:V if that's what you meant.

Shinigami said:
There will be no clienside scripting in T:V if that's what you meant.

I know, but I don't think we've fully explored the implications of this with the way scripting does work. Let's take a script for example, a flag grab script... tells your teammates you've grabbed, does the voice, and tells what speed you're going. This would be a client-side script in T1/T2. The way I understand it for T:V is that the server would need the script, and then it would be as if everyone were using the grab script, right? But what if the server-side script didn't enable it for everyone, it just gave everyone the ability to toggle it on and off, in effect making it so that only certain people were using it. Then it wouldn't be so different after all... in fact if there were a convenient way to do this, it might be even better since if a new version comes out instead of everyone having to update, only the server has to. Discuss?

Mutators in ut2k3 are used for gameplay changes/enhancments. To connect to the server, you would need to have the mutator or else download it from the server.
One big mutator to look at is ttm. Most competitive players at the beginning of ut2k3 were not too happy with the lack of competitive features for ut2k3. Several players decided to change that by introducing a mutator that would allow for enhanced voting, full bright skins, hit tones, player/weapon statistics as well as better observer/ref modes. All competition is now done through this mutator.

Shinigami said:
I hope I'll prefer not to play a mod!

This is a bad attitude. Team rabbit was a mod, duel was a mod, arena was a mod. People don't look down on them because they're practical. Just b/c someone made ultra renegades doesn't mean all mods are the devil.

I think we just may see some very EXCELLENT T:V mods (not that I know anything about scripting, but the engine looks really pretty)

Sir Lucius said:
This is a bad attitude. Team rabbit was a mod, duel was a mod, arena was a mod. People don't look down on them because they're practical. Just b/c someone made ultra renegades doesn't mean all mods are the devil.

I think we just may see some very EXCELLENT T:V mods (not that I know anything about scripting, but the engine looks really pretty)

Those are nothing more than different gameplay types.

And I agree, T:V has the potential for modding, it's just way too early for me to be the least bit concerned.

well, arena and duel are technically gametypes not mods (at least in T2)

I personally haven't really looked into mutators and crap like that yet. It'll probably be beta before the community is able to tell if the lack of clientside scripting, and the potential lack of features the community wants to have access to client side will necessity a "competition mutator", which is what would be required to be able to fake our way into having client side scripts.

Anything that didn't ship with the game is mod. Modification. The rules are modified. The points of mods are to create a new gametype or change how a gametype is played.

Not at all. The purpose of a lot of mods these days is not to change the gameplay at all, but to implement features that were felt to be necessary. As for warranting a "competition mod", i was only giving an example of the usefullness a mod can have. Thankfully, the developers are in touch with the competitive community unlike some other games

Last edited:
I've worked with groups before making a mutator similar to that of tribes, and let me just say, UnrealScript is by far the best to work with. The TGE was very userfriendly, and I found that Unreal was missing that, but other than that, its a great engine.

eh, that made no sense and i'm tired.

Sir Lucius said:
Ok, yes, that too.

My point was (I think -- it is now) that a mod is any modification to the game made by someone other than the devs.

For Unreal Engine
Mutator changes the rules slightly. Examples are giving one unit of health for every second you stay alive, bonuses for killing. Something simple like that.

Mods add weapons, change the rules of the game in a larger way.

Total Conversions are basically a new game.

Well there are a few ways to change how a game plays with UnrealScript.

1) Mutators
2) Game Types
3) Mods
4) Total Conversions

Mutators and Game Types are typically what the Tribes community are used. Mutators would be akin to something like Renegades. Changing the weapons, the types of weapons, the speed of players, and so on.

Game Types would be like Arena or Team Arena. Changing the rules that govern scoring, deaths, and points.

Mods are a combination of both mutators and game types. These are typically more drastic then just a mutator or just a game type but still utilizeh the core game assetts to provide it to you: such as models and textures. TAC/TAC 2 would be a mod.

Total Conversions are by far the most drastic changes to both the game functionality, as well as the core game assetts such as textures, game menus, maps, weapons, game types and so forth. These usually bear no resemblance to the game its built on.

Back