Have ya ever met a happy atheist? by SuicideTaxi - Page 9 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Have ya ever met a happy atheist?
Page 9 of 77
SuperTrap
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
161 - 10-10-2018, 11:18
Son of a preacher man says it is all a big show meant to draw out emotion and fear. They then use that to draw out money from people with a guilty conscience and this benefits both parties.

1 side gets to feel righteous and sanctimonious and the other side gets cash.

Sponsored Links
SuicideTaxi
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
162 - 10-10-2018, 12:16
Still haven't seen an example of a happy atheist yet, btw.

SuicideTaxi
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
163 - 10-10-2018, 12:30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagy View Post
so based on this topic, what happened to make you come to a realization that religion isn't for the weak?
Because generally it's far easier to not have a religion.

For someone who has gone most of his life without one, with the freedom to do whatever/whenever while practicing the general philosophy of Do As Thou Wilt, I think putting restrictions on behavior, words, thoughts, actions, and reactions takes infinitely more strength than just doing whatever, whenever.

Saying "no" usually takes far more strength than saying "yes" most of the time, is what I'm saying.

Amadeus
VeteranXX
Old
164 - 10-10-2018, 13:17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideTaxi View Post
Feel free to answer my question from earlier.

How did you determine that your religious beliefs shouldn't be on the list of things you are/were wrong about?

Falhawk
VeteranXX
Old
165 - 10-10-2018, 13:42
Quote:

For someone who has gone most of his life without one, with the freedom to do whatever/whenever while practicing the general philosophy of Do As Thou Wilt, I think putting restrictions on behavior, words, thoughts, actions, and reactions takes infinitely more strength than just doing whatever, whenever.

Saying "no" usually takes far more strength than saying "yes" most of the time, is what I'm saying.
which religion did you choose and why?

Pagy
VeteranXX
Old
166 - 10-10-2018, 13:44
Quote:

if you really break it apart, it gets hairy.

you're ascribing virtue to "rule adherence" and then concluding an atheist (not sure what that means) has less rules to adhere to.

i think it loses weight on moral arguments. take stealing.

for a theist:
god makes a rule against stealing. god promises a reward for adherence. the theist abides by that rule.

for an atheist:
make a moral choice to steal or not.

both would be subject to social contracts, laws, etc so its a wash.

personally, i don't see there being much virtue at all, in obeying a divine ruleset that promises rewards compared to someone that simply makes a moral judgement.

outside of a moral argument, you can argue that a practising muslim requires a lot of discipline to pray / abide by the many rules. having said that, there are many religious people that have no discipline and don't practice at a consistent level. again we're ascribing a lot of virtue to the idea of discipline, but if a muslim that abides by many rules is obese for example...are we again giving him the "strength trophy" for discipline? point being: boiling down someone's "strength" or "weakness" based on religious beliefs or lack thereof seems too myopic.

SuicideTaxi
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
167 - 10-10-2018, 13:46
I didn't choose a religion per se, although I did make a conscious choice to adjust myself to return to a life and personal energy that's more in line with Christian values, teachings, and doctrines.

SuperTrap
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
168 - 10-10-2018, 13:46
I guess it really comes down to crutches... can you or can you not go through life and face death with uncertainty or do you feel the need to cover you bases?

Both sides rely on the same amount of evidence to make that choice

SuicideTaxi
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
169 - 10-10-2018, 13:47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
Feel free to answer my question from earlier.

How did you determine that your religious beliefs shouldn't be on the list of things you are/were wrong about?
By having them, then discarding them, and then reacquiring them.

SuicideTaxi
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
170 - 10-10-2018, 13:49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagy View Post
if you really break it apart, it gets hairy.

you're ascribing virtue to "rule adherence" and then concluding an atheist (not sure what that means) has less rules to adhere to.

i think it loses weight on moral arguments. take stealing.

for a theist:
god makes a rule against stealing. god promises a reward for adherence. the theist abides by that rule.

for an atheist:
make a moral choice to steal or not.

both would be subject to social contracts, laws, etc so its a wash.

personally, i don't see there being much virtue at all, in obeying a divine ruleset that promises rewards compared to someone that simply makes a moral judgement.

outside of a moral argument, you can argue that a practising muslim requires a lot of discipline to pray / abide by the many rules. having said that, there are many religious people that have no discipline and don't practice at a consistent level. again we're ascribing a lot of virtue to the idea of discipline, but if a muslim that abides by many rules is obese for example...are we again giving him the "strength trophy" for discipline? point being: boiling down someone's "strength" or "weakness" based on religious beliefs or lack thereof seems too myopic.

I don't recall ever equating morality or virtue with theism or religion.

You've just concocted a whole argument that exists only in your own head.

SuperTrap
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
171 - 10-10-2018, 13:50
So how do we prove a happy atheist exists anyway?

Pagy
VeteranXX
Old
172 - 10-10-2018, 13:51
Quote:
I didn't choose a religion per se, although I did make a conscious choice to adjust myself to return to a life and personal energy that's more in line with Christian values, teachings, and doctrines.
all the power to you.
if more christians acted like christ the world would be a far better place. if you think about intolerant, conservative christians...jesus was the polar opposite. we're talking about a hippy dude that lived in poverty, hung out with every imaginable social reject and preached peace and love and acceptance.

then there's my older sister, the baptist, who told me once she's disown and kick out her son if he was gay. if jesus heard that i think he'd kick her in the box.

SuperTrap
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
173 - 10-10-2018, 13:52
I mean isn't it really about you guys trolling other people using eternal life as your high ground?

Neener neener I am going to heaven and you are not cause I believe in god and you dont!

Pagy
VeteranXX
Old
174 - 10-10-2018, 13:53
Quote:
I don't recall ever equating morality or virtue with theism or religion.

You've just concocted a whole argument that exists only in your own head.
you said strength; i assumed you intended the "strength" attribute to be virtuous.

SuperTrap
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
175 - 10-10-2018, 13:55
"See? I went to church and put cash in the plate. God loves me and you are going to hell." (Promptly cuts off car with right of way, as they haul ass out of church parking lot)

SuicideTaxi
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
176 - 10-10-2018, 13:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrap View Post
I guess it really comes down to crutches... can you or can you not go through life and face death with uncertainty or do you feel the need to cover you bases?

Both sides rely on the same amount of evidence to make that choice

That's over-simplifying possibly the biggest question to face human beings, diluting "Why am I here?" into a fairly demeaning box - "do you need a crutch to get through life?"

Hardly.

Well, actually that's probably not true... like most people I maybe could use a crutch or two... except my pride won't allow it and I wind up throwing them to the side. I guess I'd rather hop awkwardly than use a crutch... at least then I'm still under my own power.

SuperTrap
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
177 - 10-10-2018, 13:58
having your beliefs trashed hurts doughnut?

SuicideTaxi
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
178 - 10-10-2018, 14:00
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrap View Post
I mean isn't it really about you guys trolling other people using eternal life as your high ground?

Neener neener I am going to heaven and you are not cause I believe in god and you dont!
Can you circle the part in this thread where someone said that?

Don't recall seeing it.

Or... like... is this just some atheistic projection type of deal where you use the conversation to just start slinging around random anti-God/anti-religion phrases? In which case... ok, carry on.

SuperTrap
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
179 - 10-10-2018, 14:01
As a survivor of 4 heart attacks and a southern baptist preacher's kid.. and christian schools and doctrine and learning and knowledge of the subject that goes way beyond the common lay person.. I feel confident about death. I am not worried at all and I am happy

The God I learned exists is a cruel, jealous god and if he truly exists then I want no part of him.

Prove me wrong

SuicideTaxi
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
180 - 10-10-2018, 14:03
Hrmph.

You seem angry and bitter.

Page 9 of 77

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Have ya ever met a happy atheist?

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
gay for jesus , hail satan , hfs was this made by ants