since AVG are now complete fuckheads, AntiVirus recommendations?

I'm still running AVG 7, it seems I have to manually update now for some reason. AVG 8 doesn't look all that great, so I'm looking at switching to one of the recommendations here.

I run AVG 7.5, it updates fine, but this fucker is a load on resources, causes Outlook to take 5 minutes to do a mail check, and often causes a boot up to just lag forever. I had to disable email scans just to make it bearable.

Worst purchase ever.

You can choose NOT to install that feature during install. It's also something you can EASILY remove.

It's not a bad feature though, lots of google results spoof people into going to wrong sites. That's where a majority of hijacks occur, imo. I agree it does cause some performance issues.

avg 8.0 has stopped me from making retarded website choices twice. So i'll keep that link scanner for a small performance hit.

Use firefox/opera/something similiar and don't open weird shit? It's been keeping me virus free for as long as i can remember

So I ran the install with the instructions in this thread and I think it may have kept the scanner anyway...not sure yet.

you guys that say avira, are you guys using the personal edition?

Yes

The random popup when it updates can be a little ill-timed, but it doesnt really bother me.

Works great though, has caught quite a few viruses that others didnt for me.

i use avg and have had zero issues with it so far. I prefer the older edition, but the new one is working fine for me. i just didnt use the linkscanner etc like everyone else says, and have not had an issue, even with email scanning. I do not use outlook, but Thunderbird, so that may be an issue.

I just switched from nod32 to the new Kaspersky 2009. I prefer Kaspersky, it uses even less resources than nod32.

Use firefox/opera/something similiar and don't open weird shit? It's been keeping me virus free for as long as i can remember

... and you know this how?

For the record, I do use firefox, I don't open weird shit, I haven't had any virus problems, and I don't want to gamble on that fact.

A virus/trojan can be seriously bad shit these days. It's not just slowing your system down or making things crash... Do you use ebay? Paypal? Buy anything online? Punched in your credit card details?

ok, i may sound weird here, but when the fuck would i need any type of anti-virus? im not a fucking retard when it comes to downloading stuff so i never get trojans, plus i think the AV makes my computer run slower when playing games.

someone persuade me otherwise

ok, i may sound weird here, but when the fuck would i need any type of anti-virus? im not a fucking retard when it comes to downloading stuff so i never get trojans, plus i think the AV makes my computer run slower when playing games.

someone persuade me otherwise

Why do I need car insurance? I'm a careful driver!

I use a free scanner online about four times a year. Be smart with downloads? As far as constantly having it on and running in the background... eh, no thanks.

i have it on in the background. when i play games, i shut it down. i need it for scanning shit i download from torrents. also, my girlfriend isnt very savvy...

Back