critique this song

What were you going for?
It seems like a bunch of separate ideas/sounds just strung together.
For a minimalist track (if that's what you were going for), it isn't too bad. In terms of casual trance, there is nothing catchy about this. It seems everything is strung together rather arbitrarily and I hear nothing new or exciting.

4/10

going for a progressive house feel. planning on doing some shows where we're going to be mixing some of our material inbetween bangers and such. not meaning to be stadium anthemic, just get peoples feet stomping for now

its myself and 2 others so there's a range of influence on the song, hence a little bit of the dissonance at times. since this is our first track i'm expecting this to get better as we go along

thanks for your honesty

Last edited:
like i said, first attempt at anything musical. never took band or anything in school so this is all extremely new - as far as music theory its something we're constantly trying to read up on and learn

what would you suggest specifically in terms of using music theory?

like i said, first attempt at anything musical. never took band or anything in school so this is all extremely new - as far as music theory its something we're constantly trying to read up on and learn

what would you suggest specifically in terms of using music theory?
-Learn the notes.
-Learn the intervals between notes (3rd, fifth, minor 7th, etc).
-Learn the sounds these intervals produce, learn the modes (lydian, locrian, etc).
-Learn what a scale is.
-Learn about time signatures.
-Learn about chord progressions
-Learn about keys and transitioning between scales/time signatures/modes/keys/etc.
-Listen to different music/learn different styles (classical, baroque, romantic, hip-hop, techno, trance, minimalist, blues, opera, metal, rock, jazz, etc) and try to understand that music from a theoretical standpoint:
"Why does blues sound like blues? What intervals give that bluesy sound? What's the general chord progression? What time signature does jazz commonly employ? How did this classical piece transition from this happy passage to this sad passage?".

-If possible, learn how to play different instruments.

Seems like a lot but it really isn't.

A combination of the above, plus chops, generally is what gives people their play styles. While this may be different in terms of physically playing instrumental versus some digital compositions, it helps you emulate certain styles, or sounds, properly:

Gd luck.

dont get me wrong i appreciate the help

but i mean advice/criticism in regards to the song posted

I just asked you how to improve my lap times on the track and you told me: go faster

dont get me wrong i appreciate the help

but i mean advice/criticism in regards to the song posted

I just asked you how to improve my lap times on the track and you told me: go faster

No I didn't. I told you to learn music theory, and what I just named off were the absolute basics. Most of what I named off you can learn within a day (with some dedication).

As for the song itself, there is nothing that is linking the different parts to each other and there is nothing that "hooks" you in. Your song sounds somewhat generic. Come up with a really great melody or beat or something and then you can:

-Build your song around that melody/beat, with the main parts changing slightly
or
-Have the melody play through out, but changing key but keeping the musical intervals the same.

Any example of what I'm talking about:

The underlying melody in this piece is the same. All that changes is the tempo and maybe some of the notes/sounds, but for the most part it's the same.
They also use that melody to transition from one part to the next. You'll also notice that the underlying melody is pretty catchy, and the transitions are made on the 2nd or 4th beats. Then slowly, it's built up.

Back