Home theater thread

Back in 93-94, I used to sell home theater systems. :lol:

A lot has changed since then, including our ears but as some have already said, the most important purchase are the amps then the speakers. If you can get mono-block amps, get those. At the very least, make sure your amp and receiver are separate.

One of my younger brothers just built his own speakers and amps and then bought a good receiver. Speaker Kits in the Speaker Components Department at Parts Express | 286 . Built his home theater system and his computer speaker system. He said it was a lot of fun and they sound fricken great.

I just bought a new TV and have been looking into getting a surround system. I rarely watch TV or movies (I hate hollywood) but I do enjoy playing video games and i might as well have good sound to go with the game.

were you any good? would you buy spicas?

Klipsch for home theater is never a terrible idea. You just have to make sure you calibrate your receiver properly for them or your ear drums will bleed. One of my favorite subwoofers was a klipsch 150 watt down firing woofer I got on sale at Amazon. When it came time to goof around with my autism cave downstairs though, it didn't have enough balls to cover the room. So I sold it to some young college kid on craigslist. Think about JBL as well.

Another thing to consider is one of the most popular audio set ups is still your basic Stereo 2.0 or 2.1 set up. So you don't have to have 5+ speakers. Depends on how tard you want to go. $2k should get you something decent.

Marantz have good budget receivers
Next level up is Pioneer Elites

Spoiler

You don't *have* to spend a lot of money on an a/v receiver and amp. A basic 5.1 a/v receiver from yamaha for less than $300.00 through amazon that will work just fine. Chances are you'll never turn it up past 4-5 unless you want to involuntarily shit your pants while watching ID4.

I bought a Klipsch 5.1 system and loved it.

Wife and kids bitched every time I turned it up just a little bit – even Sunday afternoon football.

Having friends over, my wife unhooked all the speakers and hid them because she didn’t like how they looked.

I turned in my man card and bought a Vizio sound bar with a wireless sub. It's OK.

I bought a Klipsch 5.1 system and loved it.

Wife and kids bitched every time I turned it up just a little bit – even Sunday afternoon football.

Having friends over, my wife unhooked all the speakers and hid them because she didn’t like how they looked.

I turned in my man card and bought a Vizio sound bar with a wireless sub. It's OK.

I'm a retired military vet, and one of the perks is being able to shop on base at the exchange for consumer items. The exchange used to be mecca for audio/video components. I had, over the years, spent thousands of dollars on my home entertainment system. Yamaha amp and receiver (about $2800.00), Infinity speakers ($1400/pair), etc. All sorts of gadgets like an equalizer, dynamic expander, dual cassette tape (never did get reel to reel), laser disc player, etc. Probably had about $5k in stuff, all bought through the exchange.

Now, you go in there, and it's 40 different sound bars and nothing else. Sigh. WTF is wrong with young military members today?

KittyCat did you decide to pull the trigger on this ELAC speakers? Eh? You were thinking about them anyways. I remember these things due to my Aspergers.

Last edited:
KittyCat did you decide to pull the trigger on this ELAC speakers? Eh? You were thinking about them anyways. I remember these things due to my Aspergers.

I was waiting on him to releaae new version and they are out but I just moved and had to spend money on other new things like furniture. Its high on my list of must buy items though. Ill def get the ELACs at xmas time.

I also upgrades a few other nerdy audio things.

Picked up a:
schiit amplifier
Fostex th-x00 ebonys
And im getting ortofon blue cart for my turntable

:roller:

Audio is so wasteful

Last edited:
my tv's sound gets the job done ne more

maybe its bcuz i destroyed my ears when younger w/ martin logan surround and jl w7s in my car

i do miss being able to turn off to nearly mute all football commentators by disabling the center speaker

DTS : X tracks on movies allow you to adjust the dialogue volume on a movie without it affecting the rest of the sounds coming out of the speaker. While it isn't on many movies/music discs yet, I can't help but wonder if they will incorporate that future media. That would be a huge selling point to people.

Back in the 80s-90s I was one of those soldiers with Nakamichi, NAD, and Adcom in my audio rack and Advents on stands. Jumped on board the Dolby Surround/Pro-Logic train, then came DVDs and it just got too tedious to keep up with the Dolby and DTS format upgrades.

I got lazy (and my hearing went to shit/tinnitus) and now I settle for a soundbar running off an old PS3 in the den and a 15-year-old Logitech Z-680 set running off the Xbone S in the mancave.

:(

Pick up some Wilson WAMM Master Chronosonics and a Wilson Thor's hammer, maybe sprinkle a few Wilson Alida for surround and call it a day. If you're really into looks though, maybe go Kharma Grand Enigmas, or just the Enigmas if you are a peasant.

Back