Lets say your house/apartment burned down tomorrow

I dont have renters insurance, id be pissed that I lost all my clothes but then Id by a new TV and a new bed and blankets and go back to what im doing now

I lost all my shit once. Fuckers on the third floor left candles burning in the bathroom
after a party. Caught the shower curtain on fire. When it broke through the roof and found 70 years of layered tar it was over.

Lost everything I owned. I had no money to replace it.
I got some clothes from good will, my folks lent me a grand and
the local red cross set me up in some emergency housing.

Learned my lesson. Had renters insurance ever since, and now I probably over insure, but I know if it happens again I'll be covered and then some.

i have renter's insurance, probably a little less than what i would need to replace everything in my apartment...but if it all burned i wouldn't replace all of it. i'd replace the furniture and some of the electronics (tv and computer, surround sound, possibly xbox but thats it), maybe like half as much clothing as i have now and some of the random stuff i own (sports equipment, luggage, etc)

i'd be most upset about losing the contents of my harddrives (i should do a backup at my parents house at some point) and a few irreplaceable things. most of the other shit i wouldn't really care all that much, its all pretty generic stuff :shrug:

I have renter's insurance that covers all my possessions in my residence, but I should walk around with a video camera to make sure I have my stuff documented.

I'm covered to well over what my home is worth, but I now sort of wonder if I am not underinsured because of the cost of things I have. I think I will take Goshin's advice and do a walkthrough with a video camera, and take pics, and document everything, with model numbers and serial numbers, where possible.

Thanks Goshin! :bigthumb:

documentation is tantamount
i work in the best company more or less and we require a good bit of docs on some claims
serials and things allow us to properly quote a new item for you too, for best like kind and quality.

as well, you have structural insurance and contents insurance on homeowners insurance, both are different and you can set them to differing amounts.
homeowners/renters should cover your stuff anywhere in the world
so if you have homeowners, i dont know why you'd also need renters for stuff in a storage locker
i'd check with your agent whoever had 2 insurances to see if you're double paying when you dont need to be

I stay pretty heavily insured, cars and boat are done under full stated value and I don't have a note on those anyway, home insurance is way over what I payed, and even more over what I owe.

No life insurance(no wife, no kids), but I do have disability, and health. If I died my dad would have to cover my funeral costs and handle the my house, but even in a shitty market I have a butload of equity and a reallllly tiny mortgage payment. Plus there would be boat\car\bunch of flat screen tv's, monitors, electronics, top of the line power tools, etc

self employed, life is cheap anyway, i just dont really need it

life insurance is to replace you as a provider, or at least to cover your expenses. I wouldn't be leaving expenses behind, and I'm not a provider yet. Once I'm married I'll be getting life insurance immediately.

edit: and if I was to die young, it would almost certainly be from a car wreck, in which case my car insurance does provide a lot(relatively) of life insurance.

self employed, life is cheap anyway, i just dont really need it

life insurance is to replace you as a provider, or at least to cover your expenses. I wouldn't be leaving expenses behind, and I'm not a provider yet. Once I'm married I'll be getting life insurance immediately.

edit: and if I was to die young, it would almost certainly be from a car wreck, in which case my car insurance does provide a lot(relatively) of life insurance.

I don't know how old you are but if you get it early you can save yourself money in the long run.

get life after 25 but before 30

it's a sweet spot for good rates
mind, i'm aware of the place i work's position in the industry, as well as our ethical dealings and focus on satisfaction with claims handling/other handling

Back