Newbie Guide by haniblecter - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > The Archives > Eve Online
Reload this Page Newbie Guide
haniblecter
VeteranXX
Old
1 - 12-16-2005, 20:32
IMPORTANT: Do not start playing your character unless you have at least 8 BASE perception.

Remember to idle in channel tribalwar to be able to communicate with us.

***rewritten 2/2009 *** It was really hackneyed after three years of editing/updating so I just rewrote the entire thing. It's solid until the Acro expansion this march.

PLEASE, read this guide in conjunction with teh other two guides that are still current:

Mission Guide

Random Skills guide

Creating Your Character

CCP (EVE's creator) has really reworked this tutorial/creation experience since the days of old. Its alot more streamlined and user-friendly.

Right off, its going to want you to choose a race. Here's a list of the races:

------------------------
Caldari
Roleplaying: They're the dicks of the game. Their govt structure is a group of corporations that control everything, very cyber-punkish. They broke off teh gallente empire and are mortal enemies to them. They're the most technologically advanced of the 4.

Their ships use ALOT of Electronic Warfare and they love shield tanking and missiles. While they have (arguably) some of the weakest combat ships, they're by and FAR the most popular player race because they generally have the best attribute spread. This has been minimized over the years by the addition of the AZN subraces. Pick this race if you want to Min/Max

----------------------
Gallente
RP: They're a pure democracy that's probably the closest to a 'good guy' that you can come in EVE. They're allied with the minmatar and hate the caldari. In terms of tech, they're second only to their rivals.

Gallente: They've gotten teh nerf beating lately, but theirs ships are still popular to fly, especially for PvE. Their focus is getting up close and blasting people, using drones (like little fighters) and armor tanking. Definitely a hardy race.

--------------------------
Amarr
RP: The oldest race in EVE, these are the backwards religious freaks of the game. The minmatar were their slaves for hundreds of years, then revolted and started their own empire. Their empire is huuge in comparison to the other races, but technologically speaking they're retards. They're allied with teh caldari.

Amarr have recieved a HUUGE boost to their lasers damage types and as such are most definitely the flavor of the month. THe love armor tanking and using their lasers and are ok at pve and a good choice for pvp

--------------------
Minmatar
The breakaway from amarr, these suckers are all about amarr hate. They're generally retarded but are good natured and fly with the gallente.

Their ships are the small quick lots of guns approach. They have some of the best PvP ships but do require alot of skills to be good in because their ships both shield and armor tank, use missles and guns, go fast and tank, so it can get really exhausting. Still the race has the highest perception in the game and therefore train combat **** quick.

After you choose a race, you get to select a bloodline.This is where we should tell you about attributes:

What Are Attributes?
First of all, you'll need to pick good attributes. Attributes dictate how fast you train skills. Skills train all the time, even if you're off, and are the EXP of this game. Skills have two funcions: to be able to fly new ships/modules and to give bonuses to certain stats. They have a primary attribute and a secondary attribute. For every point of hte primary attribute, your time to train goes down by 6%, for evey secondary 3%.

Eventually, you'll start to see diminishing returns on your level of attribute gains. Don't worry, this is something to worry about faar down teh road, when you begin training skills that permenantly raise your attribute skills (called learning skills on the market). Its somewhere in the high teens when this becomes a factor, so dont worry.

While its generally smart to have balanced attributes, some attributes are used more than others. Perception is used the most in ships and guns. Most people have a VERY large bulk of skill points in those two areas. So naturraly, its smart to have the most in perception and willpower, the primary and secondary attributes of almost all ship and gun/missle related skills. Charisma is the least used as its only real function is the 'social' skills and secondary attribute to 'trade' skills. Feel free to put this the lowest, as I have in all my builds. Intell/memory is used for carebearing skills, and some PvP skills like Jamming or locking/scanning skills. Its important to have these at a fairly even, mid number, as my builds do.

Intell and memory are typically used for crafting/market related skills. EVE dwarfs any other MMO in the sheer amount of these skills, so if you feel you may eventually go in that direction, you should put a few more in these areas. As alluded to above, the two attributes definitely have a place in pvp, as intel is the primary attribute for ECM and memory is HUUUGE from drones skills, which everyone trains eventually. Dont gimp yourself and mass pionts in perception/willpower at teh cost of reasonable levels in intell/mem, or you'll pay for it as I did.

Here's the rankings of most used attributes:

#1 Perception by a huuuge margin
#2 Intelligence good ways away from..
#3 Willpower not too far from..
#4 Memory is almost as far from charisma, as percep is from intell
#5 Charisma Imagine a bike race between a quadrapalegic and Lance Armstrong

Back to bloodlines: There's three per race, and each dictates your attribute path. I'd be a good idea to go with the azn races. CCP put them in to complement the original two, AND to enable new players to have a HIGH PERCEPTION choice to speed up train times. Experiment with the three in builds to see which gives you the best mix of skills and attributes according to your desired path.

When you've found a race you like, you then will be able to select individual attributes to raise. Make sure perception is at least 8, preferably 10, and nothing is under 6. Its a good idea to keep them well spread out, but bear in mind that if you want to train ship and weapon skills faster, having higher perception and will power is a must.

Now you get into the weird stuff. You'll now get to choose a career path, specialization and history. In reality, its just an RP way to select additional attribute points and starting skills. Beyond that, they have no real effect on anything in game besides what your starting corporation is. You should choose carefully however, because the attribute additions are huge. If after you choose your RP paths and you find your attributes are all screwy now, dont forget you can click the back button and rechoose your attribute picks to be more inline with your career/history/specialization picks.

Note In addition to giving some attribute picks, choosing the various career/history paths also dictates what starting skills you acquire. So, choosing a military path will net you ALOT of levels in skills critical to flying ships and shooting guns. That's HUUGE since to train that level in some of those skills would require 5 days or more. (Like gunnery 5) or one day (like frigate 4).

Personally, honestly, dearly, select a military path. Its going to be a while before even a gungho crafter is going to be able to make ****. In all that waiting, you're going to be shooting **** and maybe coming on PvP ops with teh TW lads. Choose a military path and get killing-skills to save you training time.(Dont forget you can go back!)

Tutorial
When you first start, the tutorial will be boring. I havent done the new and improved tutorial, but Im told its much better. Do it ALL. Do all the missions the agent has you do. When/if you get refered to another agent, do all those missions. You should get a fat reward for all that work.

You should continue running missions with assistance from the mission guide until you come to a point where you have alot of skill points or you become of use to a corporation (guild/clan in this game world) At that point you enter a WHOLE NEW side of the game. TW/FREEE wont pick you up immediately--you're waaay too new--but idle in channel tribalwar, feel free to ask questions and get to know everyone. Eventually, you'll get in (assuming you're not a spy)

Skills
Skills that you should get immeadetly: Engineering, Electronics, Mechanic, Hull Upgrades, Shield Operation, Navigation, Afterburner. These are essential basic skills that you may not have gotten at character creation. Afterburner is especially important because its teh skills for the module afterburners, a speed booster that makes traveling ALOT easier. That said, train what you need when you encounter a cool module or ship. TO check what skills are required for something, right click on its market entry or icon in your cargohold and select show info/required skills tab. Rectify the differences between that and whats in your character sheet.

Learning skills are EXTREMELY important. They increase your attributes and therefore decrease your training time. A few years ago, they enabled you to only have to train the first tier of each attribute's learning skill to 4 in order to train the 2nd tier skill. This significantly cut down on the learning skill grind, take advantage of it. Getting the skills early will help you in teh long run, so try to train them to 3 in all categories, save charisma, at some point in the future. While quickening training times IS very important, ensuring you're self-sufficient is faar more critical. Get some ship/weapons skills first, then begin a learning grind.

Modules
Modules are the 'items' you equip to your ship to go fast, shoot, or do random things. As a point, avoid civilian modules if you can, they blow compared to their 'tech 1' equivelents. If you dont have the req's for it, just train em up. If powergrid and CPU are limited, train up a skill to increase those stats or decrease your guns/mods/missles PG/CPU needs (Engineering for PowerGrid, Electronics for CPU--both may be to 5 already)

EVE's ship/combat system is crazy complex, so approach it with an open mind! Do make sure that you have a tank. Small Armor Repairers and resisteance hardeners for armor tankers (amarr, gallente, somtimes minmatar) and Small Shield Booster and Resistance Hardeners for shield tankers (caldari sometimes minnie).

Also, make sure you have enough range on your weapons. Some weapons are only for close in, some for long range. Be conscious of what your range is (remember, ammo and turret type can dictate this) so that you can get solid hits on NPC's. Its crazy complex, so that's as far as I'll go.

Ships
You should get rid of that newbie ship asap. Get into a nice frigate that you can afford and pick some guns/modules you want to put on it. To do this, open up the market/Ships tab/Frigate Tab/Then the race you started with. Be careful, you may not have the requisite level of frigate to fly every ship listed, so double check by right clicking, show info.

Hopefully you picked a military route and were given a high level of frigate. As you can see, bigger ships require lvl 4 of the previous ship sizes skill. So, you're able to immediately start training cruiser. Not smart, since the skill is pricey for you newbs and you have no need of a ship that large atm (level 1 missions can actually get harder in a cruiser).

What you should do if you're itching for a new/bigger ship is get a destroyer. They're just as fliimsy as a frigate, but are wtfpwn23948324 times more powerful. They're great for the lvl1 missions you'll be running after you read the mission guide.

There's alot of things in EVE to get money (ISK). Money is everything and controls everything in EVE. There's lots of ways to do it--trading commodities between stations, pirating, making/selling stuff, or just killing NPC's in asteriod belts or just missions. Honestly, missions offer the most consistent form of ISK and will give you a taste of combat. Stick with them for a while.

Again, read those guides, esp. the mission guide, to have some sense of where you're going. You'll also want to stay WAAY THE **** FAR AWAY from low security space. Anything below .5 is free for all. You'll get shot and podded by crazy pirates who want to steal your civillian afterburner. Just avoid the low security systems.

Set Destination
Just like to point out this awesome feature. EVE is huge and the map (Press F10) is also huge. Thankfully, almost anything via the market or in a mission can be Right Clicked then 'Set Destination'. This enables you to see quite clearly what stargates you need to go to to get to your destination. It also enables you to press the autopilot and walk away, as your toon flys to your dest. Beware though, it may set you to go through low security or even 00 space. BEWARE! You'll get killed. TO prevent this, go to your F10map/Map Menu WIndow/Autopilot/Select the 'Only Safer Routes' option.

Market/Selling
Once you start amassing loot from missions, you can do two things: either melt it down through the reprocessing button into minerals that will sell well, or sell it on the market through sell orders. Rarely, do you want to just sell items you collect, most times people are trying to ripp you off by buying them cheap, then reprocessing them to sell the minerals at a profit. Things you dont want to reprocess but 'sell' are anything that's named: like 'scout', 'limos', 'afocal', or anything that deviates from the normal name. Some mods are useless, even named ones, and should just be melted down. Check the market on EVERYTHING to get a feel for whats gold and ****.

Rarely do you want to sell anything directly to someone on the market. You can normally get a bit more if you put it up for sale. Find what the lowest price is, then undercut it a bit. Make sure you set the duration to around a week so it'll have a chance to find a buyer. You'll probably run out of market slots quickly. The skills under the 'trade' category will increase your total allowable market buy/sell orders by a bit. Trade by 2 per level, sometihng else by 7. Get however you feel you need.

I like to say that there's two games to play in EVE: One is a carebear existance where you stay in the empire/safe systems and run misisons or mine ****ty minerals with your small corporations; the other is forging out into the 0.0 security space and mine lots of cash and get into territorial battles with enemies from around the globe (very international game, just wait till you get onto Team Speak). The latter, as with all 'endgames', takes some time to get into.

Not because you cant immeadetly expirence battles and killing--you can do damage with a frigate and 100k SP's tbh--but because we dont want your nub ass making us look bad. Also, our alliance and corp has enemies that will try to penetrate our corporation. We also dont want pilots with under, say, 2million Skill Points.

So buck up, have fun, get some ISK.

Last edited by haniblecter; 02-09-2009 at 22:42..
Sponsored Links
Ishbu
VeteranXV
Old
2 - 12-16-2005, 23:05
thx, sounds pretty good. I'll try to cram all this into my 14 day trial

Profhet
VeteranX
Old
3 - 12-17-2005, 07:56
mAKING TW look bad...........thats highlarious

Devil Slayer
VeteranXX
Old
4 - 01-14-2006, 09:54
Me and my friends keep refering to this guide. Any chance we can get this stickied?

floorpunching
VeteranX
Old
5 - 01-30-2006, 13:22
This is great. Thank you!

Viggy
VeteranXV
Old
6 - 04-01-2006, 16:26
The character setups above seem straightforward, but for someone who hasn't played since beta (mmo mining simulator, woot), I still don't have much idea which one I want to play.

haniblecter
VeteranXX
Old
7 - 04-05-2006, 09:12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggy
The character setups above seem straightforward, but for someone who hasn't played since beta (mmo mining simulator, woot), I still don't have much idea which one I want to play.

You want a high in perception and willpower character.

Advancing gunnery/missles and starship command is a priority. If you want an industrial character, you can always make an alt, or buy one.

I gotta update these for the azn choices now...

WarBuddha
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
8 - 04-11-2006, 16:11
Im up to 170,000 SP's, zzzz

Blitzkrieg
VeteranXV
Old
9 - 04-11-2006, 20:05
Caldari Asura has only 3 charisma

So if you choose stargazer, you can get 9 int/per/wil/mem and 3 char as your attributes or adjust those stats a bit to your liking.

Phalanx
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
10 - 04-11-2006, 20:33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg
Caldari Asura has only 3 charisma

So if you choose stargazer, you can get 9 int/per/wil/mem and 3 char as your attributes or adjust those stats a bit to your liking.
yea... my character is such a gimp

Blitzkrieg
VeteranXV
Old
11 - 04-14-2006, 10:05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx.1
yea... my character is such a gimp
I was just helping han updating since he said he needs to update with asian stuff.

TseTse
VeteranX
Old
12 - 07-02-2006, 04:48
My In-game Bio:

Agent Databse - http://eveinfo.com/agents/

AGENTS 101a: Higher "Quality" agents give better rewards. Increase "Standing" with a Corp (ex: "Caldari Navy") then you get access to better Quality agents. For combat missions, you want Security, Command, Surveillance or Internal Sec agents.

AGENTS 101b: As you do missions for an Agent, you gain "Loyalty Points" with them. They will occassionally make offers for you to basically "cash in" these points. Hold out for good offers. Nothing is loss by turning an offer down.

AGENTS 101c: Find agents by looking up the Corporation in People & Places. Search for "Caldari Navy" corporation for a good set of agents http://eveinfo.com/agents/

Jargon - http://myeve.eve-online.com/

Lookup Enemy - http://eveinfo.com/npcships/

QuickFit (program) - http://elegance-corp.net/quickfit

EveMon (program) - http://evemon.evercrest.com/

InGame sites - http://evegathering.com/eveigbguide/ingamesites.htm

IMO you absolutely need QuickFit and EveMon.

Quickfit is a java program that lets you figure out fittings outside Eve.

EveMon is a program that will connect to Eve, track your training times and general serves as a fantastic database on items, equipment and general training info. I use it to setup my plans for all the training i intend to do. Plus, it has a nice little Mineral calculator.

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > The Archives > Eve Online
Reload this Page Newbie Guide

Social Website Bullshit