Vengeance Vengeance

El Mariachi said:
So what I'm saying is: why do people thing GG can make a fun Tribes game? It was an accident the first fucking time.

i disagree. I think GG could make a great tribes game - they will not have to answer to a publisher, they do not have Dave G leading the team, and they are made up of the people that freaking invented tribes. if anyone "gets" tribes, its these guys.

Loop I agree I have never referred to Legends as Tribes. Legends just falls into the genre of games I like. Here are some elements of Tribes we should consider that are actually not original.

1- Jetpacks are not an original idea actually the U.S. Government tested them many years ago for military purposes

2- Skiing- In T1 it was actually more like sliding and it was a fluke that was later integrated into T2. T:V actually turned it into controlled skiing

3- Capture the Flag- Is this a new idea?

I guess the name Tribes gets branded to any game that has these types of features, but that doesn't make it Tribes it is a genre style of gameplay like Fantasy RPG, War Games, Police shooters, etc...

I don't think you're going to get VUG to budge to anyone for anything T2 or T:V related.

The only way I see something being done, is if you tried to get the source to T1 and the engine. The game being so old.

I think everyone likes the T1 engine gameplay wise, but just want updated graphics/models.
Can the engine handle them?

Give the community what it wanted from the beginning, T1 with better graphics.

1. Can the T1 engine support the more complex models and graphics?
2. The master server, how can we get around that? (maybe something like how P2P networks work with nodes/supernodes etc... or even TW as a master server, would something like that generate much traffic? I would think that each transaction would be data in the amount of bytes)

there is no point trying to get the source code for t1...you can basically buy the source code for t2, which after all the bugs were fixed, is a better engine than t1.

Got Haggis? said:
i disagree. I think GG could make a great tribes game - they will not have to answer to a publisher, they do not have Dave G leading the team, and they are made up of the people that freaking invented tribes. if anyone "gets" tribes, its these guys.

i'm still baffled by this - if skiing, which appears to be THE most important thing to nto fuck up in Tribes, was a GLITCH - how could they KNOW tribes?

The game is dead, let it go. A gaming forum that 'masses an attack' on a company the size of VUG will be nothing more to them than a break room joke.

VUG is a company, and like every other company their only concern is money and what benefits the company. Unless we (tw) do something that will touch them on THAT level they will pay no more mind to us than they are right now. TW, while large, isn't filled with every gamer in the world, there are still plenty that will play their games. Plus considering that the company isnt just games, something like this wont even make them flinch.

Personally, I think that the best way to get what tw wants in this, is to just straight buy what we want from them. TW has power, but its not a power for some kind of leverage through NOT buying their products, its purchasing power of probably 4-500 people. VUG isnt stupid, they see that the tribes name isnt going to do dick, it had its run, and hasnt done anywhere near as well since, but they arent going to give something for nothing.

When dealing with a company we need to make it clear how this benefits them, because they dont care how it benefits us, thats not their concern.

POSSIBLY...we could do something that would be beneficial to both. Tell VUG to give the code to GG, as they are the one group here with the most credibility, GG redoes the game, then puts it up for purchaseable download, and VUG gets a percentage.

That way we are getting what we want, and they are still making something out of it, if we remind them that the above plan sounds better than the other option of it sitting on their shelves, collecting dust and not making them a dime, maybe that will be what they want to hear

to me, skiing isnt what made tribes...tribes. you could still have a good game without skiing (and i know i will get flamed to no-end from saying this)...but its the truth. I played t1 for months without skiing and had a blast. my addiction to tribes had nothing to do with skiing (although it was pretty cool once it became widely used)

JuggerNaught said:
POSSIBLY...we could do something that would be beneficial to both. Tell VUG to give the code to GG, as they are the one group here with the most credibility, GG redoes the game, then puts it up for purchaseable download, and VUG gets a percentage.

I would love if GG wanted to do something like clancore is doing with SS.

So lets get on with this already... fuck.

Do you want me to go swear at the guy at EB where i bought the game? Or do i write a letter that says I think its wrong for them to take part in distributing faulty merchandise?

I seriously doubt that GarageGames has the resources to make a high quality Tribes title. Their engine rules and they're great programmers, but 80% of a game's developement resources go into art assets and level design. GG would have to hire an entire art department before they could even think of producing a game.

Razer said:
I seriously doubt that GarageGames has the resources to make a high quality Tribes title. Their engine rules and they're great programmers, but 80% of a game's developement resources go into art assets and level design. GG would have to hire an entire art department before they could even think of producing a game.

They have as many artists as they want for peanuts. They have as many programmers and scripters as they want for peanuts. Believe me, if they had the IP they will have no problem getting the job done. Whether what they make is liked by this small community or not is a different story.

Razer said:

im sure there are plenty of folks in the community well versed in such things.

I would like to withdraw my pledge of support. If a letter writing campaign is the plan, well that's kind of silly.

TW's collective ego is too big to make anything work with any kind of coordinated cooperation. Marweas might have faith in TW's massive sway in gaming world but I don't. TW might be able to take down tiny white supremisist forums but we wouldn't make a blip on the screen writing letters to Walmart, Best Buy and the like.

TW is: a bunch of angry gamers who saw their moment of glory fade away years ago and now they sit around like angry old men in a retirement home bitching and moaning.

Not to bag on the thread, there's a lot of random angst that might be put to good use. But those efforts, no matter how well invoked, will fail.

I was hoping Marweas had managed to get his hands on the game or patch source or something fun like that. :p

ZOD said:
They have as many artists as they want for peanuts. They have as many programmers and scripters as they want for peanuts. Believe me, if they had the IP they will have no problem getting the job done. Whether what they make is liked by this small community or not is a different story.

ZOD said:

ZOD hit the nail on the head, There are so many differing opinions about how the game should be made it would be impossible for any company to make everyone happy. Even in T1 the "magical ideal" in alot of peoples opinions there are differences in gameplay rules. Read back over this thread carefully, the bulk of this thread consists of uninformed gamers wanting to try to prove that they have a clue about what is going on in the gaming industry interupted every once in a while by TseTse contributing the same 3 paragraphs of his opinion.

Marweas asked for a list of wants and a few posters actually read his post before jumping in and calling their place in the thread. The rest just saw that it was a post that would get some attention and decided to use the opportunity to express their opinion about who they blame for T:V's lack of expected performance. When in all honesty most of these guys blaming Marweas or Thrax were probably embarrased by them at some point and mistakenly think their opinions matter.

This is why nothing will get done, The TW community cannot get through a thread asking what the community wants without turning it into a finger pointing circle jerk much less work together towards any goal. The bottom line is we have three choices,

1. If VUG decides to release another Tribes game we as a community get over our outrage over the dropped support for T:V and try it.

2. VUG sells the Tribes IP to Garage Games or some other game house and they continue the franchise.

3. The community requests Garage Games to make a tribes like game and we forget about tribes all together.

Everyone needs to get past trying to find someone to blame and start looking at viable ways to make something positive happen.

El Mariachi said:
So what I'm saying is: why do people thing GG can make a fun Tribes game? It was an accident the first fucking time.

Its because of their great track record since Tribes 1. I mean look at ZAP!.. no wait..

I think that is really the ultimate question. How badly does VUG want to keep the Tribes franchise? and what is it actually worth to them? From a business stand point it appears that Tribes is far more a liability than an asset. To me it would make good business sense for them to unload the franchise somehow. Maybe they could work out something with the GG guys that would give them at least some revenue to recoupe their losses. This could even be considered a good PR move if handled properly. The problem is who here has contact with them? Boycotts and flames from a few people will do nothing.

People keep saying that VUG is the hand that feeds us. Int the gaming sense, this is true. Remember, however, we are the people who control the cash flow....

Zustiur said:
No. Because if it 'dies permanently' then there won't be anything left to resurrect.

Wrong, money talks with these people. It's amazing how interested they would be in selling the rights to the series once they see they can't milk anything left in some attempt to recoup their losses. As long as there are rights to be aquired there can be a resurrection.

Tribes 3: Rebirth

I like Excals #3 idea. How about we have the Blood Crows, Adolescents of the Super Nova, Space Orcs, and Ruby Axe that use jumpjets instead of jetpacks and takes place in the year 200000000000000000000000000000000000000001. If WW2 games can do it, I don't see why this would be a problem.

Back