random restarts

ok i just cleaned the thing out, all the fans are working and there doesn't seem to be any problem with any of the capacitors. Ill try throwing a fan on it and seeing if it helps.

11.8V on your 12V line is low.
4V on your 5V line is low.
3V on your 3.3V is low.

really? no one else has said anything about that... how would I go about fixing this if it's really a problem?

another symptom maybe... often when I stop my computer off it will turn back on by itself.. I've turned off all the features like restart after power surge or outage or turn back on after loss of power whatever it is. this makes me think it's more the power supply.

I'll run this fan and if it restarts ill check the temp and see if its too hot. If it restarts and it's not too hot then im going to say it's the ps...

Its most likely hitting an error and automatically rebooting.

Right click My Computer>Properties. Advanced tab, 'Settings' under 'Startup and recovery'.

Uncheck 'Automatically restart' and wait until it happens next time.

You should see a BSOD with STOP codes next time, Google that information.

Yep your voltages are fucked...

Get a better quality PSU. Read some reviews before you buy, Cooler Master makes some nice ones and some really shitty ones.

Same goes for other brands.

I've had this power supply for about 3 years, it came with the case I wanted and I figured that when it died I'd get a new one. A lot of the reviews back then said it was last about a year. so I guess keeping it I got my moneys worth. What causes the voltages to go bad?

If the motherboard is an Intel DP25DP with a Quad Core, flash the BIOS its a known issue with that combination and random reboots.

If you read that it lasts about a year and it lasted 3, then it's way overdue...

It wears like anything else that has an electric current put through it on a constant basis. looks like it's taking it's toll on it now.

Edit: I'm also surprised you haven't been flamed for not providing system specs.... Nice I don't know how you got away with that one.

How do I know what wattage to get for a new power supply? Right now I have 500W. My system specs are:

AMD Athlon 3700+
GeForce 6800 GT
MSI K8N Neo Platinum Motherboard
19" ViewSonic Monitor
1 Seagate 160 gig hd
1 Segate 250 gig hd
1 Sony CDROM

There seems to be a big difference in prices... what should I be looking in the range of?

on that system i think you'd be just fine with 500 and up from a good company. i always recommend Fortron

stop cheaping out. rosewill is crap.
Newegg.com - FSP Group Blue Storm II 500W ATX 2.2 Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CSA, VDE, NEMKO, CNS, CE, CB, FCC - Power Supplies + sh $11 shipping
or:
Newegg.com - FSP Group EVEREST 80PLUS 500 500W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CE, CB, FCC, CSA, RoHS - Power Supplies
comes with 5 year warranty, $10 MIR (so 89.99 and free shipping)

clearly the second one is the better deal. no reviews, but FSP usually makes good power supplies.

Newegg.com - 501 - 600W, FSP Group (Fortron Source), Power Supplies, Power Supplies for if you're looking for more than 500W. there's only 2 listed, and one of them has bad reviews (fan too noisy) so clearly, get the other one if you want a 600W one.

or pick one from here:
Recommended Power Supplies | silentpcreview.com
they mostly cater to people looking for quiet power supplies, but they do a pretty thorough job of reviewing the PS as a whole.

Back