[T:V] Are we up to this stage of gaming yet? [Voice recognition]

Void|deadjawa said:
The problem with that is that you cant use any teamspeak chat programs if you had something like that built in. They would interfere with each other.
EG:
You yell "I need to pass the flag!"
"pass the flag" could be the in game voice command to throw the flag. :\

I've been doing that since T2 came out. You can use both..

Game Commander 2 allows you to configure the voice app push to talk button and stops listening when you are talking.

mall0ry said:
i'll never talk to my computer, my hands work 5x faster.

if you're having problems w/ the keys, try using your own settings?

I have 95 percent of my keyboard bound to commands, scripts, and so on. Frankly, I'd like to free up a few keys, hence the desire for voice input.

use sidewinder. my dad was using the voice thing for it in UT for changing some weapons, doing some manuvers, etc. he had fnu with it for a little while but it grows old and slow

Voice recognition...great, so when my friends come over they can shout random commands at my comp (control k comes to mind) while I'm trying to play.

Sometimes when you're playing you say stuff to yourself. I wouldn't want what I'm muttering under my breath to be taken as a command, either.

It's a cool idea but I really don't see the practicality in it all.

Ambush_Bug[DTM said:
]I have 95 percent of my keyboard bound to commands, scripts, and so on. Frankly, I'd like to free up a few keys, hence the desire for voice input.

i understand, but it seems most gamers don't run into this problem frequently, hence the developers probably won't incorporate it, but it will be used eventually through third part software(same sort of thing on my thread on a linux port)

To put this to bed, I've used Voice Recognition in the past, and find it very useful in some respects for some games. In a game like Tribes it's shortcomings are too great to merit serious consideration. The combination of processor overhead, voice lag, and most importantly command errors make it not ready for prime time.

For those who want to use VR, there are many solutions out there, MS Game Voice is a perfectly workable solution, and there are many others available as well.

Back