Furnace Shenanigans

Plasmatic

Contributor
Veteran XX
Walked into one of the spare houses to get an extra chair for Christmas eve, and it was 44 degrees F in there :(

The furnace was just humming and not doing it's gotdamn job, so I slapped the covers off and restarted it. Damn thing started sending morse code.

Yeah, the relays are singing the sing of their people. I replaced a bad capacitor on the board, but it probably took out the microprocessor when it failed. New board on the way, along with a flame sense kit because it was built before they were required. Ebay has the exact board without flame sense, but they're all 25+ years old.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I've cleaned my flame sensor three times in 12 years.. I bet 99% of people will pay for a technician to come out and replace it every time it's dirty, for $300+

Update: Put a new board in Monday but no joy. There was a flame sensor in there after all, so I didn't need the flame sensor kit. The Morse code was gone, and it seemed to be clicking the relays in order, but the first step, the Draft Inducer wasn't starting. Revisited it Thursday after New Years and tried new start capacitors, still nothing. Pulled the Draft Inducer harness off the board and ran it directly, made sure the connector was sending power. Once i reconnected everything worked as it should. Turned out I had two problems, bad board and crust in the connector. Cramming wires into the connector must have cleaned it enough to make a good connection.

crud on/in wiring harnesses junks more shit...

had a 1996 grand prix with a ghetto passlock two (uses capacitor in key to send a code to the computer) its a specific resistance its looking for...except shit all along the line can effect it.

Main reason you dont see that model much anymore (well, at least you didnt when they got to be 10+ years old)

Car would resists turning over and the repair is so hard and infuriating most people just junked em.

Back