Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited by Window - Page 20 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited
Page 20 of 96
Bodom
VeteranXV
Old
381 - 10-15-2011, 13:32
the malazan series is ****ing awesome and by the end a lot of stuff comes together. there are other spin off books by ian casselmont that tie in and explain other things. and there are like 2 other trilogies planned. stick with it.

anyways im on book two of Greg Keyes' Kingdom of Thorn and Bone. its mediocre but ill stick it out.

Sponsored Links
Phydeaux
VeteranXV
Old
382 - 10-15-2011, 13:34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Window View Post
I had a lot of trouble getting through the first malazan book, not a fan of novels with all-powerful characters/gods walking around that basically make any normal human insignificant
Though there was a lot of gods-toying-with-mortals in the 1st (and subsequent) books, it's also clear they're not omnipotent. In fact many of the gods in the pantheon end up being unduly manipulated by the very same mortals they're trying to influence.

I'm currently starting Midnight Tides (Malazan book 5) and it's becoming clear the books are very loosely interconnected. Only one name listed in the "Dramatis Personae" -Trull Sengar- is a repeat character and so far he appears, chronologically, earlier than he did in previous books.

Neither chronological order nor progressing storyline seem to be a major focus of the series - not that it makes the books any less engaging, but if you don't expect subsequent books to pick up where the last one left off or to tie up any loose ends, you may enjoy them more as stand-alone novels.

Aside from understanding the pantheon, which you basically get from book 1, a reader could reasonably read these books in any order they chose.

Last edited by Phydeaux; 10-15-2011 at 13:38..
|Blitzkrieg|
VeteranXV
Old
383 - 10-15-2011, 13:36
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=TTC=-Serpreme View Post
no ****, those were the set before the void series? I love the void series. I've read most of his books. Those two books are currently sitting on my book shelf. Maybe its time to brush them off.
Oof, reading the Void series before reading the Commonwealth series sounds like it'd suck So many characters in the Void series who were important 3,000 years before during the Starflyer war! Hell, even the end reveal of who The Lady was at the end of book 3 was only significant if you'd read the Commonwealth books

I recommend going back in time and slapping yourself for not reading the Commonwealth books first. Its the only way.

-=TTC=-Serpreme
VeteranX
Old
384 - 10-15-2011, 13:46
I'll do it if you really think i should, but i wont like it.

Excel
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
385 - 10-15-2011, 13:47
While you're back there, tell me to buy stock in apple and in google.

|Blitzkrieg|
VeteranXV
Old
386 - 10-15-2011, 13:51
And then tell Hamilton he should write his new Void books sooner rather than later

Quote:
I admit it. I donít like enforced breaks from writing. Especially not when Iím in the middle of a book which is going well. Thereís also the notes to take into account. Right now in addition to writing Great North Road Iím developing the Fallers trilogy, which will probably be the next SF project -thatís the one set in the Void.
Blog 025 - May 2011

Phydeaux
VeteranXV
Old
387 - 10-15-2011, 13:51
If you've read Deadhouse Gates you'll get it.

Excel
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
388 - 10-15-2011, 13:53
Spoiler

Dead Ben
VeteranXV
Old
389 - 10-15-2011, 14:04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phydeaux View Post
Neither chronological order nor progressing storyline seem to be a major focus of the series - not that it makes the books any less engaging, but if you don't expect subsequent books to pick up where the last one left off or to tie up any loose ends, you may enjoy them more as stand-alone novels.

Aside from understanding the pantheon, which you basically get from book 1, a reader could reasonably read these books in any order they chose.
I disagree with this.

Phydeaux
VeteranXV
Old
390 - 10-15-2011, 14:24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Ben View Post
I disagree with this.
Fair enough. As I said I'm only on book 5 so I shouldn't extend that comment to the entire series. However I believe at least books 2 through 5 could be read out of order without making the series any more confusing that it already is. The first 5 books have very disparate storylines.

Last edited by Phydeaux; 10-15-2011 at 14:27..
pZ II Birdy
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
391 - 10-16-2011, 15:14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklord View Post
Are the Malazan ones worth reading?

I just finished the Safehold series by Weber and Snuff, which quite possible could be Pratchett's last book =(
Yeah, it was worth it. I think I just got disconnected during the 5th or 6th book where all of a sudden we're dealing with a complete different set of characters/locations at an earlier time. Even though things sort of come together again, I couldn't shake the feeling that he should stop introducing so many new characters (often of little importance) all the time. More and more arcs keep being created and some get pretty ****ty or non-existent ends. Despite all this, it is only in these later books that Tehol and Bugg appear, and the interactions between those two characters make any reading worth it really.

pZ II Birdy
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
392 - 10-25-2011, 21:30
Finished dance over the weekend. ****ing GRRM.
Spoiler

Need to find something else to read.

He's probably not going to get the next one done this decade...

Carpas X
VeteranXV
Old
393 - 10-25-2011, 21:35
The Magicians & The Magician King by Lev Grossman

pZ II Birdy
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
394 - 10-25-2011, 22:49
"has been called Harry Potter for adults" ... I guess I'll give it a try if I don't find anything else.
Just hoping it doesn't have elves and goblins etc.

I should really go through this thread again. I've read some amazing books that were suggested and surely some of them must have had sequels released since.
There was one particular I've been meaning to look into... it was the first book of a new series (Sanderson maybe?), some elements of magic/alchemy and power armor. That book was great.

|Blitzkrieg|
VeteranXV
Old
395 - 10-25-2011, 22:51
Quote:
Originally Posted by pZ II Birdy View Post
Finished dance over the weekend. ****ing GRRM.
Spoiler

Need to find something else to read.

He's probably not going to get the next one done this decade...
As has been stated elsewhere, Dance was mostly just the chapters cut from Feast when it got too long. So he separated the books by character, and then released Feast without certain viewpoints. Dance had just a couple Arya and Cersei chapters to fill out the book

pZ II Birdy
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
396 - 10-25-2011, 23:11
Oh... shows how long it's been since I read Feast. I thought the three characters that had been omitted from it were Jon, Dany, and Arya. My mistake.

Window
VeteranX
Old
397 - 10-25-2011, 23:41
reading ender's stadow atm, excellent book... book 5 of the codex alera series next

TonyElTigre
VeteranXV
Old
398 - 10-25-2011, 23:51
Since this thread (or one just like it) I have read the entire WoT series and all of The Dresden files books.

I thought Dresden was good up to the end (though i didnt love the last book). WoT was great with Jordan writing it but kind of sucks after he dies. Have a couple books to sneak in now before i get into a new series, namely Snow Crash and a couple random books i've been given to read and putting off then i think I will start Codex and maybe something else.

Bodom
VeteranXV
Old
399 - 10-26-2011, 00:32
read Cryptonomicon. i think i need to reread that

Code4
BP's Pimpx
Contributor
Old
400 - 10-26-2011, 01:45
Yeah I'm hoping the next Dresden book is better

Spoiler