ET - Quake Wars Mod: Tribal Wars

Looks fucking gorgeous.

Arc, do you have any info to share on how well other gametypes will be supported? T2 had a sizeable Siege community that is still pretty active. If the tools were there for us to work with, I can tell you right now that there would be more than a few quality mappers that would be willing to do the rest. Not to mention that there are probably enough people who would play to make it a worthwhile investment.

We aren't planning any additional gametypes other than CTF. There's just not enough people to implement a fully polished gametype so we're not going to be focusing on that for the release.

I should mention though that it's entirely possible to put together any ruleset you want. Most of the game functions are stored in the games .cpp files and those will probably be released sometime after the game goes into open testing. If there are any mod teams who want to get working on a new gametype before that, then they can contact me and I'll try to release that code a little earlier. In general, everything should be in place to mod our project or add additional content (working towards a more complete Tribes experience).

TWARS Volunteer Positions

Project could use some additional help. If anyone here has done some level of scripting with Tribes 1 or 2, or have a respectable level of knowledge with C++, then you should be able to handle most of what will be assigned to you. Keep in mind that you should have a fair chunk of spare time that you can dedicate to the project without complication.

Any additional texture artists could be useful as well.

The core game is currently going for $7.99 at Newegg with free shipping. Probably not a bad deal, since a couple of days ago when I checked, shipping was not included. Within the last couple of days I checked at both GS and Steam and they still want $20 for this title, so you could do worse, considering the egg is a solid retailer.

I was going to include the Tribalwar reference link here, but that is currently invalid.

Newegg.com - Enemy Territory: Quake Wars PC Game Activision - PC Games

Last edited:
Naysayers always seem like a prominent group on forums. There are probably always a greater percentage of people like me, who have been hopeful and glad for any or all of these projects to come to fruition.

It's happened enough times though, that the average onlooker just doesn't have much use in getting hyped until some serious results start to appear. I'm afraid I haven't any suitable talents to offer that haven't already been covered. Mapping interests me, and I've played with editors for several games, but tons of guys have more experience than I do.

I think you underestimate the percentage of naysayers - I ask you: why are we naysayers now?

Personally: I've seen several of these projects come and go. Each project failed.

I'm done with Tribes competition. Tribes is Done. it's over. It's like Counter Strike for me. I am officially RETIRED. I may pop on every now or then, and hell, if I had CS I'd play it for an hour for good old times, but I'm DONE.

"DONE" is a state of being. I hung up the jetpacks with both my tribes and I'm done. You wouldn't get it unless you too were "Done".

I love seeing people make stuff. That's why I encourage people to try. but the most noticeable thing in this community (Tribes Community at large) is that we all want the days of competition back - and it corrupts every project that comes along that is even remotely like Tribes or influenced by it.

I have tried comp again after T2. I played BF2142 on TWL and even fought against the only person possibly better than me at Pylum - Zarious, who I knew from playing T2 in BEML. It was fun, but I realized something while playing - it wasn't the same.

The past is over, and I think of Tribes 2 now as I think of playing CS 1.5 and 1.6. The Days of Ownage are over, and it's time to move on.

The only thing I see happening is another competitive game being made that is different from Tribes and Tribes 2. I'd sign up to help develop that using my time with Blender, GIMP and Dev-C++...Tribes is still dead, though. It's time for the Son of Tribes to arise. We are still trying to shock life into T1 and T2, and it just won't work.

As for this project: Videos. If you want to attract, videos will convince people. Screens? Even I have screens of my stuff. Ascension had screens. Duke Nukem Forever has screens.

my ultimate point is this: We are naysayers because of the failure rate and because a lot of us are actually "done" and want people to direct their efforts away from Tribes.

Videos are already in the process of being done FYI. And in general, sorry that I haven't been able to release as many updates as people would like. It's actually quite difficult to balance updates, and the stuff you want to discuss and talk about with the actual progress on the project. I spend enough time writing emails, and working on models or textures, and all of that gets piled on top of the stuff in my personal life.

I've tried my best to tackle all of the difficult tasks in this project and leave a lot of the easy stuff to some volunteer help. There's still a ways to go, but I don't think it's going to be long before things begin to shape up and we start seeing something enjoyable to play. I should also say that I'm really not in the business of trying to resurrect Tribes and make the next big thing. If that's what I was after I probably would have given up long ago, because I know it's pretty much impossible to turn back the clock and bring back the days where the series was in full swing. What I'm really after is just producing something that's simple and fun, and something that can showcase some of my own talents.

Videos are already in the process of being done FYI. And in general, sorry that I haven't been able to release as many updates as people would like. It's actually quite difficult to balance updates, and the stuff you want to discuss and talk about with the actual progress on the project. I spend enough time writing emails, and working on models or textures, and all of that gets piled on top of the stuff in my personal life.

I've tried my best to tackle all of the difficult tasks in this project and leave a lot of the easy stuff to some volunteer help. There's still a ways to go, but I don't think it's going to be long before things begin to shape up and we start seeing something enjoyable to play. I should also say that I'm really not in the business of trying to resurrect Tribes and make the next big thing. If that's what I was after I probably would have given up long ago, because I know it's pretty much impossible to turn back the clock and bring back the days where the series was in full swing. What I'm really after is just producing something that's simple and fun, and something that can showcase some of my own talents.

No need to be apologetic about the other stuff - but there ya all go! Vids coming down the pipe!

Good God its about time....I havent been on this forum in months and then just to pass through and see nothing giving me hope until now. Although its too early to pass judgement but I'd say Arcanox was the one who finally "got it". An indy project made up of volunteers must have quite the challenge but I'd say this looks darn promising. Best of luck and thankfully I hadnt tossed my Quake Wars game yet..LOL.

Yeah, no need to work on the mod, give us insubstantial marketing material instead!

Probably the smarter route actually, because people will bitch that it isn't EXACTLY like Tribes, but if you release vids, they will be able to relive their Tribes glory days.

Probably the smarter route actually, because people will bitch that it isn't EXACTLY like Tribes, but if you release vids, they will be able to relive their Tribes glory days.
the even smarter route would be to stop trying to pull the people who want to stay in 1999 out of 1999

Back