News: Tribes: Vengeance Skinning Contest

Crap my earliest ship date is sept, find out at tge end of the month when i ship out to AF basic.

Kinda sad i want to play T:V retail before i go to BMT

Fartypants said:
tvskin-byas-tw.jpg

that took too damn long, i quit :[

Keep it going man. Looks good so far.

Is there a tutorial that explains this kind of skinning a little more in detail, like how to select differnt parts of the armor and work a part at a time, and like the video from Nvidia explained mapping, but just a bit more in detail. Things like that, that would help a member.

Last edited:
You can sort of tell just by looking at the different parts of the texture, and the pictures that colosus posted what goes where. The model already has all of its polygons mapped to a specific part of that texture file.

Take a look at PhoenixMediumhead.tga. You can see where the guys face mask and eyes are, pretty obvious. All you have to do is go in and paint over that, change its colors, whatever you want, and it automatically goes to the face part of the model. You can't paint a face mask and eyes somewhere else in that .tga file and expect it to go to the face. Use the textures they give you as guidelines.

If you need more help find me in IRC.

prototype%201.jpg

Well.. this is taking forever.. and I am still not happy with it.. but to note.. you can get a free (75 meg) copy of 3d max with a 30 day trial... which should most people off for the contest.

One suggestion I have for people that actually want to win the contest and meet the goals... Stay away from the other Tribes' colors (red & blue).

im pissed. i did some armor skins and upon trying to use the logo from xio, it locked my ps and then my pc.

argh!!! i quit. gg's
(i should have saved)

SarcaStick said:
im pissed. i did some armor skins and upon trying to use the logo from xio, it locked my ps and then my pc.

argh!!! i quit. gg's
(i should have saved)
Ah hah! Your plan worked Xionic. Now you're guaranteed to win.

This really sounds like a recolor contest considering all the alternate skins are just more or less recolors of the originals. If I understand it correctly you could make a bad ass original phoenix skin but if it doesnt look like their skin then it wont have a good chance at winning.

Visuals said:
This really sounds like a recolor contest considering all the alternate skins are just more or less recolors of the originals. If I understand it correctly you could make a bad ass original phoenix skin but if it doesnt look like their skin then it wont have a good chance at winning.
It might. Look at some of the examples in the readme. They are more than just color changes. The only limitation is that it should fit the CotP scheme (aka don't make it red and black or blue and yellow) and has to use the same model. Beyond that, go nuts.

Back