News: Tribes: Vengeance Skinning Contest

I was curious--

I saw the T2 skins for T1, and I know those were just a matter of exportingto the .dts shape. Was wondering, is that same concept possible for the t:v models? I.e. turn Tribes itself into the rendering agent, so you don't have to go and get 3ds?

Just curious.

I would have to think so.. but the question is.. how do you convert the MAX file to T2 format.. I am sure this is possible.. we just need the technicals.. anyone?

People need to convert the T1 and T2 skins to this model. I don't have photoshop, and Paint shop pro fucks up the origins of the stuff, so i can't make one myself. but if you moved things around and resized and added stuff here and there, i think that it would be an awesome alternate skin.

Sorry if I was unclear,

I meant how about importing the T:V armor into T1 (maybe T2, but I don't play it so either way). It'd probably kills FPS, but it'd be a cool first glimpse at an armor for all those that don't have 3ds max. Maybe vol it up, and release it as an add-on as a "sneak preview" to the average gaming community.

Metallifan said:
People need to convert the T1 and T2 skins to this model. I don't have photoshop, and Paint shop pro fucks up the origins of the stuff, so i can't make one myself. but if you moved things around and resized and added stuff here and there, i think that it would be an awesome alternate skin.

It's not that simple

I'm going to post my "work in progress" Pilot model... Keep in mind everything on the armor will be changed once I have completed my work.

pheonix3.jpg

Isn't their releasing the .max to the public a high sign for "use this at your leisure? I mean if you can open it in .max, I don't see why you can't open it in tribes.

KingTomato.org said:
Isn't their releasing the .max to the public a high sign for "use this at your leisure? I mean if you can open it in .max, I don't see why you can't open it in tribes.

I don't see how you can infer that.. the intended use is very clearly expressed as in being for the contest.

they get us to make logos for them, music for their trailers, and now game skins..

wtf. TW should get paid royalties or something for this game

I'm not pulling away from the content idea, I'm just entering alternatives into the situation. The end result is going to be in a game engine, why not see it first hand early? Importing it would offer the ability for people without 3ds max to skin. Additionally, those that begin skinning could have a means to render and visually see their image first hand.

Going even further, those who make skins could send it to others for thier opinions and reviews. They would simply need to add a vol to their folder, and they can begin visualizing and rating the model.

"You are not required to use this file, but it will help you get a better picture about what your skin will look like on the armor (since you don't have the game yet)."

Imho, putting it into a game would give a "better picture about what your skin will look like on the armor". From a game perspective, you'd get lighting, shadows, movements, and other manipulations I don't think you can emulate in 3ds max (or as well). Granted, you may be able to light (as I heard someone talking about glowing eyes), but that's just not as emulating as in-game lighting.

Maybe it's because I come from an open-source background, where we share code, files, and ideas but I think it'd be okay to import it. I don't see any explicit notice against using the model for other purposes. Don't get me wrong, I'd be more than willing to get the permission from the dev team before going ahead, but I just don' see the real hesitation against putting the model in its predecessor.

Last edited:
jotun said:
they get us to make logos for them, music for their trailers, and now game skins..

wtf. TW should get paid royalties or something for this game

They aren't forcing people. The way I see it, it's good marketting. Not only do you get the traditional crew, but then you have the crew that helps and spreads word of mouth "I'm helping work on T:V". I mean look at the beta list--that has to say something is being done right. I'd hate to see this end up like T2 where they spend so much on the hype that the company itself falls apart.

I mean this is "free advertising" for them. They put out little tidbits, and le the puc go wild. They rant and rave to the point that the game itself is sold out before it hits the shelves.

I think you should do it Tomato. It would be a really good way to create even more anticipation towards the game, plus it would be cool ;) If it doesn't specifically say DO NOT USE THIS FOR ANYTHING OTHER THEN MODELING FOR THE CONTEST, then I don't think theres any probs, still, getting their permission wouldn't hurt.

Well I just imported the T:V phoenix model and skin into tribes 2 for a look see, had to convert textures and resize them and of course there is no animation but it looks ok. Now I am scared to post the images, devs are lurking.

Nutcracker said:
Well I just imported the T:V phoenix model and skin into tribes 2 for a look see, had to convert textures and resize them and of course there is no animation but it looks ok. Now I am scared to post the images, devs are lurking.

Go ahead and post it.. I think the point was made that this is fine for our purposes already.

kinda a crap angle and I am not sure if the jets are in the right position.
Nutcrackr-phoenixinT22.jpg

sorry about the hud, keep in mind the body texture was reduced in size so t2 would ue on me. Oh and the scale is a bit off.

Back