Crom's T:V Impressions from GDC

I guess I never had a reason to scavenge for kits as a chaser. Except on SH in T1. Since clustering made the LO and chasers the same thing, I would scavenge them then.

Thank you for clearing that up thrax. now about the repair kit... hehehe

probably not much jsut as it only does 45% to a light. so i'm guessing maybe 23%?

jsut said:
except nothing like T:V's light has existed in previous tribes games. T:V's medium is like T1's light, and T:V's medium can handle a disk jump.

So the T:V heavy is like a T1 medium with a mortar? Bleh.

I remember Marweas' miles-long thread about our input, input that he wanted for any next incarnation of Tribes, if there was to be one. I don't recall seeing anything about the light being too tough, or lasting too long, or about disk-jumps not being able to practically kill.

Buff the medium. Fine. But doing it by killing the light?

Edit: Just saw Thrax's reply, glad to hear the light can still sustain a DJ if need be. I can still be irritated with an OOB wall though, heh.

Last edited:
i can guess too, i was hoping for something more definative ;) Crom might be able to answer that too though, since he was playing in medium.

I like this T:V the best so far, information given by a player about things that want to know and will effect how the game will be played.

The no repair kit is a major change, it will be interesting to see how it plays out in the actual game, if it is going to be removed.

Having the OoB barrier bouncy would change things quite a bit too, of course it might be just how they have that build. They probably don't see a reason for people going way out of bounds at this point in the game. That feature would stop the snipers that way out of bounds and having people constantly ski away and then circle back to spam your base with discs after you gave up a chase.

It is good to hear that the feel of the game is turning out really well, I can't wait to get chance to play the beta at some point.

Wulfen said:
So the T:V heavy is like a T1 medium with a mortar? Bleh.

I remember Marweas' miles-long thread about our input, input that he wanted for any next incarnation of Tribes, if there was to be one. I don't recall seeing anything about the light being too tough, or lasting too long, or about disk-jumps not being able to practically kill.

Buff the medium. Fine. But doing it by killing the light?

you really haven't read much about T:V have you?

T:V's heavier is HEAVIER than T1's Heavy. T:V's medium is slightly heavier than T1's light. T:V's light is significantly lighter than T1's light.

you might also want to read the post thrax just made in this very thread.

Metropolis said:
- Invisible, elastic OOB a la TR2 give you a heck of a boost

Does that mean that the playing field is indeed bounded and not continous as in T1\T2? Like, you cant start a ski route 500m oob if you wanted to, giving it more of a TR2\Arena closed in feel?
Depends on the map. The Arena maps have a force field between the field of play and the fans. A standard map has a force field at the edge (remember the edge in T1?) to keep you from falling to Valhalla, or flying a vehicle under the map. Also the field is only invisible right now. It will most likely have a grid on it eventually.

jsut said:

T:V's heavier is HEAVIER than T1's Heavy. T:V's medium is slightly heavier than T1's light. T:V's light is significantly lighter than T1's light.

you might also want to read the post thrax just made in this very thread.

No, I've read plenty about T:V. And I know it is heavier, and it makes no friggin' sense to me, but whatever. :)

I'm almost afraid to find out what else they've done.

Amadeu5 said:
I am truly curious as to why repair kits were taken out...
Just use the repair pack. It is always repairing you. Also any teammate w/ a repair pack can easily give a dose of healing to everybody.

Thrax Panda said:
Corrections / Additions:
The flag currently mounts on the player backward (bug) which causes part of the colored tail to be visible to the player. That will be fixed so you don't have a blue smear in front of your face whenever you're carrying the flag.
Ahso...i heard you say something about a bug but it didn't register until now. The trails looked super-dope though.

Thrax Panda said:
I think I said that "You probably wouldn't want to disk jump twice with a light". One disk jump with a light certainly wouldn't "almost kill you". It may take you down to 45% or so, depending on how close to the splash you are.
Gotcha. I must have misunderstood that...but I DJ'ed in med and it took me to about 55-60% as far as i remember....anywho, sorry for the wrong info...if you woulda let me into the INV's this never would have happened.

Thrax Panda said:
Gliding. As discussed before this is speed sensitive.
This will throw a lot of Tribes vets a little curveball. i could see this being super-ultra-useful, but taking some time to get used to.

Thrax Panda said:
Currently. They are not balanced at the moment, and the damage is really high.
gotcha.

Sorry for any mis-information (specifically the light DJ thing)....it must have been the days and days of drinking.

Thanks a lot thrax...hope to see you at E3 so i can play it again and then misquote you some more.

jsut said:
Just ignore him. Wolfie is afraid of change, and seems angry about something. He's one of the guys who, were I to give everybody on TW a dollar, would complain that it wasn't two.

:lol:

Just call it teen angst. Even though I'm 33.

And it's not that I'm afraid of change. This thing barely resembles Tribes anymore. The masses get all these things thrown at them, so you can try to get all of them to play your game. If I wanted to play what the great unwashed played, well, I wouldn't exactly have played Tribes now, would I?

Last edited:
Removing the repair kit doesn't seem like that big a deal. When I first started playing i didn't realize that the kit was even there...I don't even really see the point. Anyone who knows how to play hits their kit as soon as they take some damage, so hy not just add that to your base health?

Wulfen said:
And it's not that I'm afraid of change. This thing barely resembles Tribes anymore.

you can't be serious. If they took away skiing, or the disk launcher i might agree. Nothing they've changed so far is anything from the true heart of the game imo.

Wulfen said:
That's my deal. I could really fudgeing care less if they get all these CS people playing it, if I'm not playing it. I wasn't real concerned before, but the more I hear about this game, the less I'm looking forward to it. If I wanted CS-, or UT-, or Quake-like action, guess what I'd be playing?

What the hell, TR2 was SOOOOO popular they had to bring its features mainstream? I liked it and all, but it was entirely different; I could always go back to CTF. Jump pads? OOB walls that bounce you?? Wow, that's pretty damn immersive. At least it made sense in an arena-type game like TR2.

I think that just maybe this game IS a UT clone. Pretty graphics and neat little gadgets will only go so far, and I could care less about that.

fudge.

Amadeu5 said:
I sure hope it is.

You know, something bothers me about the execution of the whole "Let's simplify T:V for the n00bs!" thing. They take out the TL and (although I hope this one's not true) the RK, but add in a deployable slot, an action key, active and passive modesfor the packs and extra stations.
Let me address these one at a time

1. Deployable Slot. This works just like a weapon slot. Pick up a deployable and it shows up right next to your weapons with your keyboard binding right on it to let you know how to select it. It then deploys by "firing" it into the ground. Your cursor changes to let you know when you can deploy it. This is a net simplification. Instead of working sort of like a pack, sort of like a mine, and having it's own "use" key, it now works like other known items in the game.

2. In Multi-player the Action/Use key means you don't have to hit the tiny hot spot on the vehicle to get into it. You walk up and use it. If you're on the driver side, you get into the driver seat. If you're on the gunner side, you get into that seat. This is common in other games. You press the same key to get out of the vehicle (rather than "jumping" out).

3. Active / Passive modes for packs. Now all packs work the same way. In T1 and T2, some packs needed you to press a key (shield) and some just worked all the time (energy) and some needed you to select them and then fire (repair). In TV, all packs do something for you all the time. All packs also do something else for you if you hit the "pack" key. Again, this is obviously a net-simplification.

4. Extra Stations. I'm not sure what you're talking about here. There are 2.5 stations you can use. Inventory Station, Resupply Station, and (.5) the remote inventory station. The "deployable stations" are not really stations so much as just spawn points for that gear. When you run by a "turret station", it will have a turret sitting out there for you to grab if you want one, unless it's turret has already been deployed. In that case it will be empty (and will stay empty until it's item has been destroyed and it's respawn timer has ticked over). That makes it easy to know if your item limit has been reached - see any of the item you're looking for? No? Item limit reached. So now the inventory station is where you get gear for YOU, and the equipment spawn stations are where you get deployable items. Net simplification.

Why the tribes community thinks that simplifying the way something works means removing fun from the game is beyond me. The packs are now easier to use, and offer MORE flexibility and skill to the users, yet you insist on railing against this. It's beyond me. Simplifying a system doesn't make the game into Pong, it just makes a system simpler. You're still going to be flying in 3D while trying to shoot other people flying in 3D. It's never going to be easy. The goal is to get rid of the stupid crap that gets in the way of the fun stuff.

The Repair Kit was definately a big part of both T1/T2 and i would be sad to see it go. But in the same, new changes come with new games, and i am sure that the T:V team has considered this quite a bit before removing it.

In the same, from the latest videos it looks like when you kill the enemy they drop health- which will ease the pain of the loss of the repair kit ( as well as the passive function fo the repair pack ).

Although i must say, IMO i think the idea that Ben mentioned is really a good one.

I would also think that the fact that a dj would quite nearly kill you won't be as big a problem as people may think, thanks to the addition of the jump pads (no sarcasm intended).

I am greatly expecting T:V :D

Last edited:
Wulfen said:
:lol:

Just call it teen angst. Even though I'm 33.

And it's not that I'm afraid of change. This thing barely resembles Tribes anymore. The masses get all these things thrown at them, so you can try to get all of them to play your game. If I wanted to play what the great unwashed played, well, I wouldn't exactly have played Tribes now, would I?
Fair enough, but If I want to sell a million coppies, I need the unwashed masses to play, don't I. So how do I do that without cleaning up the many rough edges that the previous two games had?

Back