OFFICIAL Rover/Rocket Pod discussion thread

VirDT said:
Anything that gets people away from that flag instead of piling all the D at that point sounds good to me.

Yeah, it is much more exciting to listen and watch a game with 1 on 1 duels across a huge playing field than to have intense action at a flag or base. :rolleyes:

Marweas said:
Then make sure you have some tissues around when you watch the video, Blitz.

The Rocket Pod is an interesting weapon.

One button press releases all 6 rockets. On a number of occasions I could fire another 6 rockets while the first 6 were still flying around. The rockets are pretty responsive - you can make them go in one direction and then turn them in mid-air to another direction, but they have their own velocity, so a hit takes quite a bit of skill. They're not very good against fast moving targets, and I wasn't able to target them at all while skiing fast. Thrax said they were pretty good at hitting the rover. This weapon is restricted to Med/Heavy armors. My biggest gripe with it is the model/skin. What do you think?

edit: the RP is NOT heat-seeking

How many rockets do you carry? Does it require reloading? (After you fire, say, 12, do you put in another pack?)

Marweas said:
My biggest gripe with it is the model/skin. What do you think?
I'm ambivalent on this point at the moment. I don't really dislike it, per se, but it does sort of look "UT2K3-ish" as opposed to "Tribes-ish" I guess ...

For my $0.02, I really liked the armor models in T2. Specifically, the "smoothness" of the weapons where they "molded" into your armor was a nice graphical element for me.

With this "Rocket Pod" it sort of looks like your arm suddenly developed this rather angular, cancerous growth ...

Rocket pods seem a little hokey... Will have to see the video to get a feel for them. I think they can work, I don't necessarily agree that there needs to be 6 launched at once.

Interesting:
Also, the chaingun generates a lot of heat and will lock up briefly if you're just spraying bullets willy-nilly.

Please whatever you do make most of the flags outside. I hate how in t2 a lot of flags are in buildings. That makes games boring as hell.

I admit to playing James Bond. One of the cool features in it is the guided missle. It IS fun. But, when you are flying the missles, you can't do anything else until you detonate the missles manually, they hit their target or they "time out". This is cool because other players can easily kill you while you are in missle mode. Will T:V have something like this?

I imagine this weapon to be like the DEVASTATOR from Duke Nukem 3D, but being able to guide all of them. I think it's a good idea, but can't really think of a use for it (cause I haven't played the game ;))

Brasstax said:
"Currently, the rocket pod is a bit tricky to use. We're exploring ways of making it fun while ensuring it remains a skill-based weapon. I should mention that, unlike Tribes 2, Tribes: Vengeance doesn't have flares to counter rockets. Your only defense is to be aware and dodge accordingly."

This is odd. I like the part about keeping it skill based, but then he talks about dodging rockets.

I think he means, if you're just standing still as infantry, then yeah, rockets can get you; but if you go behind a hill or something while skiing it pretty much eliminates any chance of the guy getting you from his POV.

Colosus said:
Yeah, it is much more exciting to listen and watch a game with 1 on 1 duels across a huge playing field than to have intense action at a flag or base. :rolleyes:

Intense action, you mean the 16 man d? That is not intense action that is frustrating gameplay for everyone. I was talking about remote spawning which is good because it gets people who want to use a vehicle away from the flag.

JerryGarcia said:
I just dont like the idea of having to stop, fire, and then guide the missles sounds like a waste of time i liked in tribes being able to fire my mortar and just keep going.

from the real forums

Enough about the rocket pod. Tell us more about the Rover. It looks like fun. How fast does it go? How does it, uh, handle? What kind of damage can it take?

Sojourn said:
How many rockets do you carry? Does it require reloading? (After you fire, say, 12, do you put in another pack?)

You shoot 6 at a time and currently it autoloads 6 more from your total. Right now you carry a buttload - over 100 - but that has no bearing on how many you'll have in the finished product.

BTW, time for my regular disclaimer - everything is still subject to change.

Back