OFFICIAL Rover/Rocket Pod discussion thread

after reviwing the video i'm starting to get worried about RP spam. imagine what 2-3 MO/HO can do with RP spam. and then the HOF and MD/HD. then throw in regular mortar and the spam fests are gonna be nuts :(

quoted from the other thread, but yeah, my thoughts:

"everything sounded pretty cool to me. nothing too drastic. i thought the whole tracking thing with the rockets was a great idea, especially as a replacement for the rather overpowered rocket launcher we have in t2 now. and not being forced to carry flares is a gift from God. the vehicle sounded cool too, and deffinetly doesn't sound like it'll own the battlefield, especially with the new "pod launcher" or whatever it was called. and the locking up of the chain gun at first bugged me, but i gotta say after pondering a bit it sounds like a good idea as well. I think Irrational is gonna do good job just based on some of the things I heard in this article, confirming my beliefs that they want to add some new things without changing the overall feel for the game."

yea, watched the vid, and its exactly what I figured it would be.

take the guiding out now, speed the rockets up. make it a point and shoot, not a shoot and guide.

Data said:
Why can't you send this out simultaneously to ALL the major game sites AND the fansites like Tribalwar?

Because then the front page of Gamespot wouldn't be splashed with Tribes at the very top all weekend. By Monday, every other site will have that trailer too.

Piata=King said:
How exactly does a rocket launcher fit in with tribes again? My big concern with it is that you actually have to stop and aim the thing to be able to hit a target. Here you're saying that tribes is a celebration of movement and speed, and yet you create a weapon that encourages the opposite. If I'm running a route, I don't want to stop, shoot and aim until the missles hit.

Also, this has been done before. I think every game since Perfect Dark invented it has had a weapon similar to this in some sense. The thing is, it works in most of those games; I don't think it would work in tribes. It only serves to slow the gameplay.

I'm not totally sure about the rover but making it a spawn point seems bad in so many ways. How will defense spawn at the base? Are they supposed to ctrl+k until they get there? And like colossus said, it does take away from the focus of the game: capturing the flag, not destroying OOB spawn points.

One thing that I really don't like is the size of the weapons. They are way too obtrusive. All of them minus the disc launcher tend to look like UT weapons as well. The whole game looks way to much like UT for that matter. Throw up some more scratched metal catwalks, add in some more giant weapons with pretty effects and then top it off with some quad damage and you'll have a nice ut+quake clone w/ skiing.

I love the new look, it seems more like gritty in-your-face tribal conflict, rather than cartoon blow-em-up fest. And i'm thinking the RP won't slow gameplay down at all. Why would you use such a weapon for hitting infantry when it's quite obviously better suited to trashing stuff along the lines of the mortar? And you don't have to stand still, did you watch the video? People flyin' everywhere shooting rockets around! The skilled people will stand out by being good at guiding them whilst flying around.

Marweas said:
Because then the front page of Gamespot wouldn't be splashed with Tribes at the very top all weekend. By Monday, every other site will have that trailer too.

:hrm: I don't like that reason.

Doaln said:
after reviwing the video i'm starting to get worried about RP spam. imagine what 2-3 MO/HO can do with RP spam. and then the HOF and MD/HD. then throw in regular mortar and the spam fests are gonna be nuts :(

It's certainly a possibility. But since RP requires LOS, you shouldn't get blind spammed. Although with you guys, I'm sure you'll figure out a way. We'll have to see once it gets a lot more use.

those models are freaking awesome, best video yet. even the music was good.
Rocket Pod didnt seem Too bad, looked like you had control, but it wasnt like it handeled like a ferrari. could be mistaken tho

Marweas said:
Shall we change the rocket to a disc so you can have two IDENTICAL weapons?

No, I want the rockets to be smaller projectiles, shoot a lot faster, maybe with a spin up period.

Marweas said:
Shall we change the rocket to a disc so you can have two IDENTICAL weapons?

Its not like that. You have the rockets spiraling and spreading right? You would get little bits of splash impact over a good sized area, depending on how far away you are from the target. Disc aoe remains the same no matter what distance you use it at. Would be an interesting tactical choice.

Marweas said:
Explain how this is worse than what you can currently do with a disc? Except with a disc, once you've targeted and shot, you can hide out of sight.

Uh you're kidding right? :)

You can't guide a disc? Any moron with 1 strafe keybind can dodge out of the way of a disc, assuming the missiles have relatively decent manuverability dodging them even if you see them coming will be difficult and VERY difficult as a HoF; LD snipers that stand still for 5 seconds to aim at a capper get a salvo of missiles at their feet? :/

I take it all back if they do piss all damage to players but I still don't see what role it's supposed to do; The t2 missile launcher had no role either, it was the n00bs way to get a few kills on turrets and the odd player that hasn't got flares.

To take out base assets you have the mortar and for everything else you have the disc, if you want a way for infantry to take out vehicles then for godsake just make it require a lock on a vehicle before firing THEN guideable. Anything else is just asking for abuse imho.

Marweas said:

Sorry, I have to come back to this.

How does it get more "press" as an exclusive release to one site? That makes no sense. Do you not cover a broader base and actually REACH MORE PEOPLE by sending it out to as many sites as possible -- especially the fansites? And I'm only talking about the video and screenshots. The interview I actually understand and agree with, being exclusive (it's an interview, duh).

Am I just totally confused here? How do you reach the most people, and get the most "press" by giving all your goodies to one site?

:huh: :confused: :ugh:

Back