Malygos 10

Data

Contributor
Veteran XX
Couple of questions on Maly... I've read the strat and watched the Tankspot video.

We got to phase 3 in 3 out of 8 attempts. All 3 times were within about 2 minutes of the enrage timer. It seems like the DPS is almost there through phase 2. What's a good buffer on the enrage timer going into phase 3? How long should we expect that phase to take in total, given all members know WTF to do (which is a big assumption, apparently)?

We tried with 2 healers, then 3. I have 17,933 hit points fully raid (10, Mage) buffed. It felt like I was taking 90% of my health pool in raid damage during the vortex, even using slow fall and iceblock and mana shield. We had way too many people dying during vortex. What should we expect from healers during phase 1? Any tricks or suggestions for vortex?

Where should the tank and DPS focus be during phase 2 adds? We had several cases of the melee adds killing healers and DPS. It seemed like they weren't being picked up at all. We also had some unlucky (RNG?) where the scions would focus fire a single person and kill them while we were focusing on the melee adds.

Any other tricks for Maly?

Why do people have such a hard time working the drakes in P3?

It sounds like you're just starting out so I'd stick with a 3-healer comp. I've always been topped off coming out of a vortex but if you're sitting at 18k health, that's why it seems like vortex is raping you. It deals roughly about that much dmg. Healers just need to be on the ball. During vortex, you can ice block out of it, locks can demonic circle, and I believe rogues can use killing spree at the beginning to stay out of it.

In p1, just make sure to stack your sparks. If spark shows NE, tank should be SW, etc. That way, they always come through the center and you can control spark movement. Even better if you have a DK but not necessary.

For p2 in 10-man, there are only 2 adds. If the tank is not picking them up, he's fail. If he's a warrior tank, this is the only fight that improved spell reflect is good for. Either way, people should not be dying to the lords. Have melee get first priority on the discs.

In p3, have everybody gather up before the ground falls and stay grouped. My guild does 1, 1, 2, 3 for the dps'ers in p3 (which I personally hate) with 2 healers spamming 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4.

For dps, I prefer 1, 1, 2 while stacking on my healers and throwing up a shield at 50% or less health if I'm being focused.

I've been in some groups where people suck so badly at moving and continuing a rotation that they actually have one person in charge of moving out of the orbs while every does a /follow name.

We normally get to p3 by the time 5 minute enrage timer is announced. You only need a minute and a half to kill him in p3 if your group is not composed of stack-failures.

Last edited:
def bring 3 healers and i guess avoid pallys if you are having that much trouble

your tank needs to be better at picking up adds

you can def get one shot by rng

focus fire in p2

Couple of questions on Maly... I've read the strat and watched the Tankspot video.

We got to phase 3 in 3 out of 8 attempts. All 3 times were within about 2 minutes of the enrage timer. It seems like the DPS is almost there through phase 2. What's a good buffer on the enrage timer going into phase 3? How long should we expect that phase to take in total, given all members know WTF to do (which is a big assumption, apparently)?

I'd feel comfortable with about 4-4.5 minutes. We've gone into P3 with 5.5 min to spare before which was plenty on a non-achievement run. But first time through, I noticed 4-4.5 minutes was close to optimal, which meant finishing P1 with about 7.5 minutes to spare. Don't forget, in P2, if you don't have many melee, ranged can get on platforms too, which will improve their dps as well. No use for a tank to get up there.

We tried with 2 healers, then 3. I have 17,933 hit points fully raid (10, Mage) buffed. It felt like I was taking 90% of my health pool in raid damage during the vortex, even using slow fall and iceblock and mana shield. We had way too many people dying during vortex. What should we expect from healers during phase 1? Any tricks or suggestions for vortex?

Your healers are sucking dick. During Vortex, as a healer (especially druid), I was tossing HoTs on all softies/people with less HP. by the time they landed, they were at around 20-30%. Few seconds later, they were near full again. Druid can toss rejuvs/lifeblooms around, and swiftmend the softest target if necessary.

Where should the tank and DPS focus be during phase 2 adds? We had several cases of the melee adds killing healers and DPS. It seemed like they weren't being picked up at all. We also had some unlucky (RNG?) where the scions would focus fire a single person and kill them while we were focusing on the melee adds.

DPS needs to single target burn adds, unless you have good dps that is aware of threat and a prot paly.

What we did was I would mark the target killed as skull, and tank him, and everyone should be attacking that. With t-clap, I should be able to hold aggro just fine on targets around. If anyone's dying to it, they are attacking the wrong target and is failing, period. With 3 healers, it's REALLY bad luck to get completely focused on by scions. The tank is not doing it's job if the mobs are killing healers, as heal aggro isn't an issue. DPS just needs to focus on one target, and if the tank misses shield slam (prot warr angle) then the dps needs to focus on their omen/threatmeter. Sometimes, you miss, sometimes, you get parried. I still notice quite a bit even at 37 expertise. Control yourself and don't panic. Just do solid dps when the window's open.

Any other tricks for Maly?

Last I checked, rogues can KS out of vortex. Warlocks can teleport out of Vortex.

If Maly absorbs spark, shieldwall/last stand is your friend. Don't be afraid to use it. You don't need it anywhere else.

Your dps and healers should burn through as much mana as possible by end of P2, since you don't need it in P3. If you're dying a lot, keep people topped off more.

Why do people have such a hard time working the drakes in P3?

Because it's a retard check, and getting familiar with 4 abilities is hard. If people are failing, there's the no-fail strategy of dps'ers doing 1, 1, 2, wait to full energy, and immediately do it again.

Get malygoshelper (I think that's the name of the mod).

What's the best time to hit 5 during phase 3? I noticed when Maly would focus on me and I got the DBM warning, I'd hit 5 but I still died from whatever that pew pew lazor spell is. Am I hitting it too early, too late, or what?

What's the best time to hit 5 during phase 3? I noticed when Maly would focus on me and I got the DBM warning, I'd hit 5 but I still died from whatever that pew pew lazor spell is. Am I hitting it too early, too late, or what?

If you have raid healing drakes and you stack, you never have to hit 5.

In fact, if you have plenty of time, what I always did (lowered my stacks a bit, but helped healers a lot) was do 1, 1, 2, 3 and repeat.

Once you get the DMB warning, he focuses on you and starts CASTING. It's a 1.5 second cast. AFTER the beam comes out, it hits you for 5 seconds. 1 CP = 1 sec, 2 CP = 2 sec, 3 CP = 3 sec, so on and so forth.

You have to wait for him to finish casting first. Optimally, you do NOT want to hit 5, as it breaks your stacks. 2-3 people with big stacks win the fight. So as long as you stay out of sparks, your healers can keep you up indefinately.

OK it sounds like our healers suck and that was the vibe I was getting during the raid. That's a shame because one of them is the GM and raid leader. :(

Can I lookup the exact drake abilities somewhere? I don't really have time during the encounter to read tooltips... :p:

Edit: Nevermind. I finally found it on Wowhead.

Last edited:
OK it sounds like our healers suck and that was the vibe I was getting during the raid. That's a shame because one of them is the GM and raid leader. :(

Can I lookup the exact drake abilities somewhere? I don't really have time during the encounter to read tooltips... :p:

Edit: Nevermind. I finally found it on Wowhead.

There is a Coldara daily quest called "Aces High!" Try it out. It has the exact same abilities as the drake so you can practice real time.

Edit: beaten by 2m. Fuck you Data :(

Basically, the hardest part of the game is P2 RNG.

Once you get your guild to do P3 properly, and assign the right healers (btw, mark the "stack" target using triangle/diamond), that phase becomes the easiest. P1 is all about the tank properly moving Malygos around.

You can get away with 3 healers in 25 man, and 1-2 in 10 man. Healing doesn't work unless the raid is stacked though. It's an AOE big ass regrowth basically.

Have all your DPS install this for phase 3:
MalygosCP : WoWInterface Downloads : Miscellaneous

There number one goal is to not let their stack fall off. 112112 works but if you need to shield it has a good chance of falling off. It's entirely possible to not shield and live through being focused if your healers are good but if you get focused twice in a row you'll probably need to shield. If you shield make sure you do it with only 1 combo point, that's all you need to live.

Raid mark someone with a circle or something and tell everyone to stay grouped up UNDERNEATH that person. If they go above that person then it's easy for them to get lost in the crowd which makes group up harder.

On phase 2 if your ranged are having trouble targeting the Scions have them use the console command that increases zoom out range to max and just zoom out all the way. Makes it easy to see the Scions.

Uh, if you used it you shouldn't die, period. Are you sure you had combo points when you hit it?

The hard part of phase 3 when you're first learning is group up properly. If you keep failing on that have everyone go out side and get on the drake from aces high, mark one person and do a dry run with having every group up, move, group up, move, etc.

Also, if you're dieing during vortex due to not having enough HPs (17.5k raid buffed is pretty low) then replace your shittiest piece of gear (ie the one that you would lose the least DPS from not having equipped) with a piece of the FrR gear (it has a ton of stamina). You should be fine after that.

On Phase 2 only move to a new bubble every other one he shoots. Ie he shoots one at the beginning, hide in it, he shoots another one, don't move, he shoots another go to it. They last long enough you can do this. Obviously it's worthwhile to move if he shoots another down right next to where you are though. Nobody should be getting one shot while they're in a bubble so you just want to minimize your time outside of them as much as possible.

FM: I won't have people install an add-on for this.

Half of them wouldn't do it because they don't give a shit. This is most of the reason we're failing.

I'd rather have people learn the fight the hard way -- the "hard way" being completely subjective. If we ever get it on farm I'd happily suggest an add-on to streamline further.

We were gathering prior to P3 drop, and the RL was marked for us to follow. I guess some people can't press 1,1,2 and watch the screen at the same time so they know when the fuck to move.

It's sad, mostly because this is considered "progression" in my guild. Which means they really have no business in a raid instance. :(

Well, that addon makes DPSing in phase 3 retard easy but :shrug:. Also if people are keyboard turners that would make it really hard to move on Malygos since you really need to circle strafe around him.

We recently got Malygos down for the first time. I wasn't there for the kill but was there for some of our past attempts.

If you have a priest or duid healer, he should be HoTing/shielding the lowest health people going into Vortex. Prayer of Mending should also be bouncing around during Vortex if you have a priest. If you have 3 healers, it should be rare to lose anyone in P1.

P2 can be frenetic for healers.

For P3, make sure people understand about the energy. A couple of people in our group didn't get this at first, so they were happily hitting 112112 without noticing that 2 wasn't doing anything because they didn't have the energy.

I don't think it's the abilities that screw people up in P3 so much as it is perceiving positioning properly and staying grouped. It might be worthwhile to just practice grouping up and moving together on flying mounts for a couple of minutes.

Back