taking wow (and mmo's) too far

greydog

Veteran X
http://soulkerfuffle.blogspot.com/2006/10/view-from-top.html

there's a "counter" article at the end, though I don't think it "countered" anything.

a ton of comments follow, from "man, me too!" to "qq more n00b".

all in all, he did well in describing the ugliness of mmo's addictive side. take from that what you will. it's OFN for anyone that's been playing since mud days, but perhaps it'll show something to those new comers that are slipping down the slope from "casual" to "hardcore".

"end game" in a game that never ends, nice oxymoron in one of the comments.

tl;dr

read like half, this is the average story of some dude who can't get his priorities straight

I raid 3-4 nights a week and go to college, have a job, in a band, have a real life and i'm the raid leader of the guild, it's not that hard to balance if you aren't a retard

if you play 10 hours a day you're a loser. there's really no story in that, its just the plain truth.

you can have fun in mmorpgs without devoting most of your free time to the game.

lol at 70 days /played. He didn't play that much.

I also have a job, go to shool, and raid seven days a week. It's not impossible. It's not even hard. It's quite sad that this guy has grown as old as he is and still can't be resposible for himself. It's not Blizzard's fault that he's not mature enough to manage his time wisely.

yes, stories like this are ofn. "average" tale of some fool who cant control himself. but as wow's subscriber base grows and grows these "average" stories become more and more common and all of us gamers are lumped into this "stupid loser who plays video games all day and dont know how to socialize" group.

i'm sure everyone here has 10" dicks, super model girlfriends, high paying job, and raids naxx nightly and pwns it up in azeroth. i.e. i highly doubt anyone is going to pop up here and proclaim their renewed viewpoint on life, happiness, and pursuit of tier 4 phat lewtz. but the one of the points i thought was good was the blind eye that people in a "end game" guild have towards eachother. fuck it if his marriage and life is falling apart, fucker better show up on time and cleanse faster tonight!

live and let die, no?

Usually when I get into a game like this I play a lot more than I should until I hit that "burned out" period of a month or two. I grind out levels quickly, often outpacing people I really want to play with and after a month or so of boring endgame content I stop playing altogether.

Of course, I don't see a problem with playing more at the beginning, when everything is new and easy fun. But if you're playing 50 hours a week when it's boring grind stuff, you got issues.

That story was mostly hyperbole. You can't be as hardcore as he proclaims and only have 70d /played.

I'm over 100 now, and I pretty much only raid anymore. I know people that are over 200/250.

Sometimes I am in awe at peoples lack of self control. I find WoW to be boring, but I play because its fun to mod UIs (I think I spend more time doing that than actually playing) and making money, idk why, i like it. I average about 2 hours at most a day, most of the time i dont even get to playing in a day.

That story was mostly hyperbole. You can't be as hardcore as he proclaims and only have 70d /played.

I'm over 100 now, and I pretty much only raid anymore. I know people that are over 200/250.

uh, i'm not sure if you get the point...

250days = 6000 hours. wow has been out for almost 2 years? 6000hours / 730 days = 8.2 hours a day.

no person, of any age, should be playing a video game "for fun" that many hours per day. if these people earn money to support their living while playing 8.2 hours a day, that's a different story. but whether you're 8, 16, 21, 50, 72 years old, putting that many hours into wow is not right. there's education, career, family that deserves that time. so who are these people to you? do you call them friends? do you care about them? when you see a person that you care about, doing stuff that is not right, and possibly harming themselves or others around them, shouldn't you take action or speak up?

or is it: "ya man, he's in wow all the time and has 100% attendance on raids, he deserves full tier 3 first, he's awsome, man."

or is it: "fuck it, to each his own. i dont care about them and they shouldnt care about me. not my place to tell someone how to spend their time."

uh, i'm not sure if you get the point...

250days = 6000 hours. wow has been out for almost 2 years? 6000hours / 730 days = 8.2 hours a day.
The point is that 70d /played is a joke. The guy was exaggerating and using hyperbole to make a point. He claims to be in a position of power in a super-hardcore progression guild. He's lying.

no person, of any age, should be playing a video game "for fun" that many hours per day. if these people earn money to support their living while playing 8.2 hours a day, that's a different story. but whether you're 8, 16, 21, 50, 72 years old, putting that many hours into wow is not right.
Says who? You? What does your opinion mean to them? Dick, that's what.
there's education, career, family that deserves that time. so who are these people to you? do you call them friends? do you care about them? when you see a person that you care about, doing stuff that is not right, and possibly harming themselves or others around them, shouldn't you take action or speak up?
Could you sound more like a blathering self-help book? I don't think you could.

or is it: "ya man, he's in wow all the time and has 100% attendance on raids, he deserves full tier 3 first, he's awsome, man."

or is it: "fuck it, to each his own. i dont care about them and they shouldnt care about me. not my place to tell someone how to spend their time."
I'm not their fucking mom. If they want to play 8 hours a day (I have in the past), then more power to them. They find it fun, or they wouldn't do it. What am I supposed to say? "I realize you're having fun PvPing, but log off and go find something else to do... because... it's... er... better for you?"

Seriously, shut the fuck up.

dang man, got any angst? touchy subject?

if you believe in the 'i'm not their mom, live and let die, people dying in africa? fuck them, it ain't me so it ain't my problem.' thing, i understand.

but the insults came flying fast, rather defensive almost.

dang man, got any angst? touchy subject?

if you believe in the 'i'm not their mom, live and let die, people dying in africa? fuck them, it ain't me so it ain't my problem.' thing, i understand.

but the insults came flying fast, rather defensive almost.
You must be new here. I'm a complete asshole, that's my M.O.

Regardless, the article is still exaggerated fluff, nothing more.

And yes, fuck people dying in Africa, not my problem.

I don't see how many hours a day people play a game is anyone's business except those involved.

There's no doubt that some people become anti-social and spend too much time infront of their computers to be healthy, but I fail to see how why anyone should care.

I would work during the summer, so during college I could play many long stints. When i had to study, i studied. When I felt like going out, i went out. The truth is, many people assume that a game makes you addicted and somehow pulls you away from "real life" when in truth many people didn't have a "real life" before the game. Some people are introverted, some people don't get along with people, and some people don't have huge circles of friends.

To make things short, people need to stop using a personal and subjective interpretation of "normality" when looking at other people that may just be different from you and have less important things to worry about.

I play a fraction as much as i used to, and i never felt i didn't have a choice as to when i should play more or less. I know that if i had a job(at the time) and a family and more of my closer friends living near me i probably wouldn't play at all.

Last edited:
The game also provides people with a false sense of security, accomplishment, and purpose. Anyone can be a superhero here if they have the time to put in. Not only that, a few times I've seen this breed the "rockstar" personality in people who have no confidence at all in real life.

I think we all know a few people that are like that.

shinigami,

if they are people that i care about, hell yes i will criticize it. again, i think you're missing the point of the write-up and are getting a bit defensive.

people say stuff like, "ya these are my friends, how i stay in touch with them over a long distance is through games like wow, the internet is so wonderful." do you really care if he/she got fired from their job, is not getting along with their children, or got ran over by a bus.

have you truly not ever voiced your opinion to your "friends" about what car they should buy, which girl they should date, what job they should get. typically if you chose to spend that much time with 'people', i would think you'd spend it with people you give a shit about.

ya, ya, this is tw, so fuck everyone, it's cool to hate, you're all noobs, stfu diaf, hope you all get run over by a bus, i'm better all of you, vab nothing not to say.

Last edited:
have you truly not ever voiced your opinion to your "friends" about what car they should buy, which girl they should date, what job they should get. typically if you chose to spend that much time with 'people', i would think you'd spend it with people you give a shit about.

Honestly, not unless they ask me. I personally don't like being given advice I didn't ask for and I assume my friends don't either.

I don't see how many hours a day people play a game is anyone's business except those involved.

There's no doubt that some people become anti-social and spend too much time infront of their computers to be healthy, but I fail to see how why anyone should care.

Ok. Maybe it's an age thing. But that just sounds, sad. Maybe I'm missing some kind of double-reverse sarcasm.

Back