Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Am I doing this right? [pics]
Page 1 of 3
Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
1 - 12-06-2017, 02:06
[so] A friend co signed on a loan for their scatterbrain daughter. Because they are responsible adults they have full coverage for their vehicles, and their insurance covered the kids new Jeep when they drove it off the lot. The kid was to be responsible for insurance asap. The kid didn't put full coverage on it, and wrecked it a week later. :roll:

Local dealer body shop quoted them $16K for repairs.

Being a handy guy and not a complete *******, I offered to help. I started by finding a hood, and fender and pulled the front end back out. Yes the air bags blew...

The basketball hoop pole was no match for the damage, so I switched to a tree.

The front subframe corner had to come up, so I lassoed the tree high and hit it until she cooperated. A BFH came in handy.

Bolted parts on to make sure the subframe was close

Ran the parts to a friends body shop, blew it apart, and painted that garbage.

Came out pretty close, but the drivers door will need some blending.

Today I had some time to fiddle with the light mounting points and get it perfect. Any body shop would have sectioned and replaced this area because it's tedious and time consuming.

Final mounted the hood, and fender. Gaps came out pretty nice. You can see where the door needs to be blended. 99.9% of people won't notice, but I do.

Tomorrow I'll cram the bumper skin and plastic bits on. Washer sprayer nozzles for the hood are $18.95 each! Drivers door blend will be right after, followed by new dash, airbag, and drivers bag. Should be around $2000 total.

Sponsored Links
def
VeteranXX
Old
2 - 12-06-2017, 02:17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmatic View Post
[so] A friend co signed on a loan for their scatterbrain daughter. Because they are responsible adults they have full coverage for their vehicles, and their insurance covered the kids new Jeep when they drove it off the lot. The kid was to be responsible for insurance asap. The kid didn't put full coverage on it, and wrecked it a week later. :roll:
It looks like you did a good job and billed them way less than it should have cost. But the insurance is a little unclear...

If I buy a new car i have 30-60 days or something to call USAA to report it. If something happens they cover my brand new car even if they have no idea I bought it.

Did the parents buy a car for an uninsured kid? Dealers check insurance, otherwise they wouldn't sell the car. So that's a no.

Guessing the kid was under-insured, which the parents should have checked.... especially when co-signing a loan. Lesson learned for future TW to not co-sign ****

Last edited by def; 12-06-2017 at 02:31..
Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
3 - 12-06-2017, 02:26
I was a little unclear on that also. The kid put insurance on it, but not full coverage. The parents insurance covered it when they signed and probably until the kid got coverage. Either way the parents insurance didn't cover the damage.

Dr Dance
VeteranX
Old
4 - 12-06-2017, 07:45
$16k? You could buy a brand spanking new toyota corolla for that kind of coin.

amRam
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
5 - 12-06-2017, 08:33
So how much you charging them?

houston
Unregistered
Old
6 - 12-06-2017, 08:58
nice job dude

Mr Jimmy Pop
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
7 - 12-06-2017, 09:06
I***8217;m impressed

Atreides
VeteranXV
Old
8 - 12-06-2017, 09:24
Quote:
I was a little unclear on that also. The kid put insurance on it, but not full coverage. The parents insurance covered it when they signed and probably until the kid got coverage. Either way the parents insurance didn't cover the damage.
The dealer won't let you drive off the lot without a binder from the insurance company (ins co. name, policy number, policy holder's name, policy renewal date, effective date the car is added to the policy, lien holder named as 3rd party insured and the (full) levels of coverage).

So something there doesn't add up. Yes your policy will cover newly acquired autos for a period (usually 2 weeks) without them being added to the policy; but a financed auto will not be allowed to drive off the lot without a piece of paper from the insurance company confirming it was added, the lessor is named on the policy and that it has full coverage.

I assume the insurance company found out about the accident since this family came to the conclusion that the insurance wouldn't cover repairs. Since the repairs weren't done through an insurance claim; whomever IS insuring this auto will want a safety done to confirm the vehicle is road safe/structurally fine. They'll also rate the driver for an at-fault loss upon policy renewal. Good luck to the kid next year.

OneSlickRex
VeteranXV
Old
9 - 12-06-2017, 10:09
Nice work.

You should have not painted and left the mismatched paint to teach a long lasting lesson for driving like an idiot.

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
10 - 12-06-2017, 10:09
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
It looks like you did a good job and billed them way less than it should have cost. But the insurance is a little unclear...

If I buy a new car i have 30-60 days or something to call USAA to report it. If something happens they cover my brand new car even if they have no idea I bought it.

Did the parents buy a car for an uninsured kid? Dealers check insurance, otherwise they wouldn't sell the car. So that's a no.

Guessing the kid was under-insured, which the parents should have checked.... especially when co-signing a loan. Lesson learned for future TW to not co-sign ****
ya thats a lie, some dealers dont check **** for about a month

anyway, how the **** did he get insurance with comp/coll with a loan
either he lied or he went to some cheapo bull**** place that doesnt give a ****

gg for the good work
added cars are covered up to your current policy limits for 20-30 days generally. need to call before the end of the grace period to get it legit added tho

Lord Elessar
or something³
Contributor
Old
11 - 12-06-2017, 10:30
You did them a solid with those repairs. Not having $15000 on loss ratio will help your friend's rates a ton. Shocked the bank hasn't force placed physical damage coverage.

samUwell
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
12 - 12-06-2017, 10:34
Damn dude. Looks great.

Atreides
VeteranXV
Old
13 - 12-06-2017, 11:03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Elessar View Post
Not having $15000 on loss ratio will help your friend's rates a ton.
Said no insurance company in Canada - I wonder if things are vastly different in the States or if you just have a misconception of what factors go into generating a premium for personal auto insurance.

Here's the simplified scenario that most likely fits this family in a manner that makes sense:

-Husband/wife have 2 autos in their household and a child listed as an occasional driver.
-Kid wants his/her own car (or parents want him to have one w/e); they shop around, find a vehicle and settle the financing.
-Parents call their insurance to add the auto
-Insurance company explains that with a 3rd auto, the child will be listed as a principal driver on the new auto.
-Parents discover the true cost of a (relatively) newer driver as principal and decide that's too much
-Family decides the child will obtain their own insurance as not to jack up the payment on the parent's policy (even though this may be more expensive via the loss of house/multiple auto bundles).
-Parents remove the auto and driver from their policy before the kid has their own policy in force (don't ever do this, btw)*
-Edit: alternatively, the kid got their own insurance and did not disclose the vehicle had a lien - anyone quoting this person would have questioned how they could afford to own it outright, as a big part of Insurance is Errors and Omissions and they ask these questions specifically in case there's a loss; they can prove the insured misrepresented material facts and free themselves from any obligation on the loss.
-Accident occurs
-Here we are now.

*The insurance company would send notice (usually via mail) to the lien holder that coverage was removed. Lien holder would then contact the family and explain they have 24 hours to provide proof of coverage or the auto will be repo'd until such proof is provided.

Last edited by Atreides; 12-06-2017 at 11:14..
Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
14 - 12-06-2017, 12:04
Sounds about right. I know they are having financial problems. The husband was a delivery driver for Pepsi for a long time, but has Parkinsons and hasn't worked for a few years now. They have medical bills, and used retirement money to fix the house and put a down payment on this Jeep.

Funny how kids always **** **** up.

Zomnivore
Veteran4
Old
15 - 12-06-2017, 12:08
Looks good, functionally I don't know.

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
16 - 12-06-2017, 14:12
He doesn't have disability thru pepsi, plas??

Atriedes are you insurance guy in Canada?

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
17 - 12-06-2017, 14:22
Quote:
Originally Posted by amRam View Post
So how much you charging them?
Not enough, or anything, but I'm ok with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
He doesn't have disability thru pepsi, plas??
Not sure, but I know they are tight financially. Kids mom was in tears telling my wife about it. They thought they would be on the hook for the money without anything to drive.

Last edited by Plasmatic; 12-06-2017 at 14:24..
Flash
VeteranXX
Old
18 - 12-06-2017, 14:38
Wow! I had no idea plas was sane enough to do that. Great work!

lemon
Sour++
Contributor
Old
19 - 12-06-2017, 14:45
Quote:
Not enough, or anything, but I'm ok with that.

Not sure, but I know they are tight financially. Kids mom was in tears telling my wife about it. They thought they would be on the hook for the money without anything to drive.
they'll have plenty of money after the kid gets in another accident and u get sued for shoddy shade tree repair work

(since ur rich and all)

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
20 - 12-06-2017, 17:08
Lemon still salty he sucked at Pbeam and has no legs.

Page 1 of 3

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Am I doing this right? [pics]

Social Website Bullshit