ITT: I will answer questions about military equipment/history.

If you HAD to boil WWII into the 3 most significant events, what events would you pick and why?

(I will allow you to pick 3 events for each theater of operation)

If you HAD to boil WWII into the 3 most significant events, what events would you pick and why?

(I will allow you to pick 3 events for each theater of operation)
Europe:
-Blitzkrieg (start of the war in Europe)
-Stalingrad '43 (Germany's most costly defeat... and the bloodiest battle in history)
-Kursk '43 (the last time Germany managed to mount a meaningful offensive)

PTO:
-Pearl Habor (US entry)
-Midway (turning point of the war in the Pacific)
-August Storm (arguably what prompted the nuclear attacks on Japan)

I just realized that my last question doesn't really pertain to history or military equipment per se, so I will withdraw it from this thread.

Did alexander the great have a toilet with him on his great conquest or did he poo in the ground just like everyone else?

Please enlighten us on the M163 Vulcan Air Defense System.

That's one of the most impressive things I've seen fire up close. It throws up a wall of lead.

Edit: What a coincidence. Speaking of Midway, "Midway" starting Charlton Heston is on AMCHD right now.

Last edited:
had the u.s. not employed the bomb, could they still have won?
Yes.

However

It would have resulted in a division of Japan similar to what was seen in Germany. Projections also factor in approximately ~1,000,000 additional total casualties (that's just for Operation Downfall--it does not factor in a Soviet landing on the main islands.)

If the US did not engage in Europe, would Germany have succeeded?
With all other things being equal, no.
There was no way that Germany could defeat the USSR via Barbarossa.

Germany could have forced a bitter peace in Europe, but it would have required a significant revision of overall strategy.

kurayami how shitty is the australian military in terms of being outdated and just downright shitty

also how quickly would canada be overrun if it wasn't for the united states

Please enlighten us on the M163 Vulcan Air Defense System.

That's one of the most impressive things I've seen fire up close. It throws up a wall of lead.

Edit: What a coincidence. Speaking of Midway, "Midway" starting Charlton Heston is on AMCHD right now.
Not too much to say.

It was an M113 chasis with an M168 mounted on it.
It was the US equivalent of the ZSU-23-4.
It has been removed from the inventory and there is currently no replacement. The M6 Linebacker (basically an M2A2 ODS with Stingers instead of M220s) is about the only thing fulfilling the role of close range AA defense at this point (there's also the LAV-AD, but I have no info on how many of those are fielded. Not many to my knowledge.)

Cav Scout spoke highly of the M163 as a direct fire weapon in ODS. It really should not have been phased out. It's still a perfectly viable, cheap platform.

kurayami how shitty is the australian military in terms of being outdated and just downright shitty
It's pretty shitty.
As far as I know, they're still driving around Leo 1s.
I think they just got M109s for mobile arty within the past year or so as well.

also how quickly would canada be overrun if it wasn't for the united states
Not very. Canada still has close ties with the Commonwealth. Britain would take up the slack if it weren't for the US.

But Canada's in even worse shape than Australia.
Not only are they driving Leo 1s, they're flying super high tech Sea Kings.

If Canada were left to its own devices, though...
Pretty much any European country aside from the really tiny/poor ones like Latvia could overrun it pretty quickly (assuming the required logistics capacity was feasible.)

FREE FACT:

The B-239 is unquestionably the most underrated aircraft in history.
LeLv 24 is also unquestionably the most successful air unit in history.

Look it up. You won't find it in any American history book.

Why did Stalin accept the Nazi-Soviet pact with Hitler and why did Hitler decide to break it before he was done in the west?

off topic question

how big of a faggot is drsupey and if you were a betting man what are the odds of drsupey being a lonely virgin

Well if we're doing off topic questions:

If you could have a beer with 3 people from TW, who would it be and why?

Back