Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page i'm a functional alcoholic
Page 2 of 9
absent
VeteranXX
Old
21 - 10-17-2017, 10:25
They use Antabus in Finland to treat alcoholism. It works, but you have to keep taking it on your own, so motivation is key. Other drugs you can try if there are problems are naltrexone and acamprosate (Campral). Good luck. e: oops looks like Rayn went over the other drugs already. w/e

Sponsored Links
Osiris
VeteranXV
Old
22 - 10-17-2017, 11:04
Heres to your health

BeLiaL
VeteranXX
Old
23 - 10-17-2017, 11:07
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4rdluck View Post
Let's get it straight. You aren't a functional alcoholic. You are drinking daily. Hiding your drinking. Drinking a large amount in a short time. And starting a medication for people who can't control their own intake.

A functional alcoholic is someone who drinks a lot daily, doesn't have health effects associated with drinking, isn't ashamed to admit how much or how often they drink, certainly doesn't hide their drinking from others, and generally does not feel shame in regards to their alcohol habits. That doesn't make it better or right but that is your more typical classification of a functional alcoholic.
i disagree with this

a typical classification of someone who is a functioning alcoholic is someone who can function while being an alcoholic

any alcoholic is going to have health effects, he may or may not be ashamed or hide it

the thing is, a functioning alcoholic is able to function "normally" while being drunk/hungover all of the time

amRam
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
24 - 10-17-2017, 11:09
What makes AA meetings crazy?

dubsack
VeteranXV
Old
25 - 10-17-2017, 11:09
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLiaL View Post
i disagree with this

a typical classification of someone who is a functioning alcoholic is someone who can function while being an alcoholic

any alcoholic is going to have health effects, he may or may not be ashamed or hide it

the thing is, a functioning alcoholic is able to function "normally" while being drunk/hungover all of the time
I guess we have different ideas of functioning "normally".

SuperTrap
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
26 - 10-17-2017, 11:21
The only drug that helps alcoholics is meth.

Rayn
Tribalwar Admin
Contributor
Old
27 - 10-17-2017, 11:27
Quote:
Originally Posted by amRam View Post
What makes AA meetings crazy?
to some people its basically a religion. you have to live and die by the big book and the steps and if you don't get better, it's because you didn't follow the steps closely enough. frankly that's a bunch of bull**** and probably drives a lot of people out. hell right out of the book and something they read at the beginning of some meetings flat out says:

" Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our directions. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves. There are such unfortunates. They are not at fault; they seem to have been born that way. They are naturally incapable of grasping and developing a way of life which demands rigorous honesty. Their chances are less than average. There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest."

to some desperate alcoholic if they **** up and you tell them its cause they didn't try hard enough to find god that's not helping anyone

however just stay away from these people. there's plenty of people who don't make AA their life and hang out with only AA people and all that are mostly sane just like with a church. you got your people who show up only on christmas and your people who show up on weekdays and the majority of people in the middle. I'd say (with few exceptions) the biggest zealots are lying about what kind of program they run and just like to virtue signal other people cause reasons.

at least try it until you get a few people you can call that you like so you can talk to someone about it if you struggle. if you like it you could stick around, either way you should see a psychiatrist with a substance abuse background. your brain is probably kind of ****ed if you're drinking daily and you're going to have post acute withdrawal. they can help treat that. maybe they can help treat why exactly it is you drink in the first place. you might get referred to a therapist by a shrink, which isn't a bad idea if you decide AA isn't for you.

BeLiaL
VeteranXX
Old
28 - 10-17-2017, 11:42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsack View Post
I guess we have different ideas of functioning "normally".
what does it mean to you, if not being able to go on about your day as if you were sober?

lemon
Sour++
Contributor
Old
29 - 10-17-2017, 11:49
rehab is for quitters

HelenKeller
Blind BitchXV
Contributor
Old
30 - 10-17-2017, 11:50
i think dubsack is saying that the alcoholic in question might be thinking he's functioning 'normally', but the people around this alcoholic might arrive at an entirely different perspective

Kerosene31
VeteranXV
Old
31 - 10-17-2017, 12:05
In the words of the late, great Robin Williams: Being a functional alcoholic is a lot like being a paraplegic lap dancer. You can do it... just not as well as the others really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLtPp_xIpC4

Last edited by Kerosene31; 10-17-2017 at 12:10..
samUwell
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
32 - 10-17-2017, 12:06
For those of you who are attempting to explain what is or isn't a functional alcoholic, let me explain where you are wrong. A functional alcoholic is an alcoholic who is able to maintain their outside life, such as a job, home, family, and friendships, all while drinking heavily. Things like work and relationships are not negatively affected by the drinking. It has nothing to do with your health or sneak drinking or anything like that. All alcoholics will eventually sneak drink; be it coming home or at the office and it is IMPOSSIBLE to drink high levels of alcohol and not have it negatively affect your body in some way shape or form.

I am a professional drinker. I have been 3 of the 4 phases of a drunk: functional, binge, and a full-fledged, all day, all night drinker but never homeless, because i was always able to maintain my job. I have been to 2, 28-day rehabs and 1, 8-month outpatient program, all to curb my drinking. For my last relapse, I almost died. Was literally on my death bed. And that is all I am going to admit to. All the rest, I would be foolish to discuss on here.

Last time, when I went to the outpatient program, I went on the antiabuse for 1 year. I am the kind of person who does not like puking nor do I like being sick. Which is kind of ironic seeing as how I was puking and sick 24/7 while in my heavy phase of drinking but once I got sober, feeling sick and puking was the last thing I wanted to do. But i had something a lot people who try to get off alcohol dont have: i almost died and i wanted to stay alive. Turns out, dying is a pretty good motivator even though the Dr. said my chances of returning or dying are huge. My odds of staying sober and alive are slim. So I never tried drinking at all while on it. Hell, I didn't have any food or use products that had alcohol in it for fear of getting sick but I needed all the help I could get. Have to drink a lot of water and eat a lot of foods with antioxidants because antiabuse ****s up your already damaged liver.

Alcohol is the strongest of all the known substances out there in the world as it is the only known substance that can affect 5 out of the 8 main neurotransmitters. Oddly enough, nicotine affects the other 3 which is why smoking and drinking go hand in hand. Anyways, there is another substance that effects 4 of the 8 main neurotransmitters and if memory serves correctly, I believe its called Wellbutrin, and it is also used to keep people off of alcohol.

Alcohol is also the most damaging of all the known substance to the body. It literally damages more organs than any other substance but society really only knows about the liver. So many cases of cancer are a result of heavy drinking because of its effects on the organs. From skin to teeth to eyes, which have nothing to do with drinking, alcohol causes so much damage internally that other organs begin to shut down. If the government was really interested in protecting the people from the effects of drugs, alcohol would be the number 1 substance to ban. Even though I have known the above for many years, my brain LOVES drinking enough alcohol to kill normal humans.

But the question of how much you (Rusty) are drinking is good news for you. Half a pint of vodka is what I was drinking every morning just so I can brush my teeth without puking and another half to get the shakes under control so I can type out an email but, I was drinking a LOT of vodka every day. To the medical world, the amount of alcohol you are drinking would be considered heavy, for to them, even 2 or 3 glasses of wine a day is heavy drinking and the amount keeps shrinking what is considered heavy drinking all the time.

To me, it sounds like you are on your way to becoming an alcoholic. So to get this under control without losing control, you need to begin to take care of your health. The first thing I would do is begin to take a lot of B vitamins, especially B1. You need to repair the brain first and the B vitamin groups are all brain food. Hell, i still take B vitamins every day and i take a good amount too. When the brain is functioning correctly, you can think through the process of drinking again and the B vitamins help the brain to think right.

A high-grade protein powder is also extremely important when getting sober. Find one that has a lot of amino acids because the amino acids are how the brain controls the levels of neurotransmitters. Here and here. Addicts have a chemical imbalance which is why we/they continue to seek out a way to alter those chemicals to make the person feel normal.

I will not bad-mouth AA because even if it helps 1 dude stay sober, its working but AA is not for me. There are many other groups you can go to and I would go to them all until you find the right one. Never know, AA might be the one for you. Personally, I found 3 that I enjoyed: Refuge Recovery - a Buddhist approach to getting and staying sober, Life-Ring - a secular approach to getting and staying sober and, SMART Recovery - an educational approach to getting and staying sober. Personally, I enjoyed Refuge and SMART. I have read so much medical information about alcohol and addiction that I could get a job in the field. lol.

Refuge Recovery is very difficult to do while new to being sober as there is a lot of mediation involved and, when getting off alcohol, clearing the mind and sitting still is impossible and might not work until you are done with Post Acute Withdrawl Syndrome - if you go through that phase or not but it usually happens for heavy drinkers. For me, I had it for almost a year and it sucked ass but I was so determined to stay sober that I tried the mediation every day after about 2 months of being sober and the B vitamins and amino acids help to get the brain through PAWS.

I have no idea if you are interested in staying off alcohol forever or just getting sober for a while but I know of numerous people who have 1 or 2 months every year where they lay off the sauce, just to keep it under control. For me, I cannot drink, at all. Yeah sure, I will be drinking like a 'normy' for a few weeks or months but it always catches up with me.

There is a really good documentary on alochol abuse called, Pleasure Unwoven that can help explain a lot of what being an addict is. It might help. Anyways, good luck dude.

SuperTrap
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
33 - 10-17-2017, 12:09
My mom was an alcoholic, her mother was an alcoholic.

That was all the deterrent I needed

SecretSquirrel
VeteranXV
Old
34 - 10-17-2017, 13:12
You need to tape off and start drinking a lot less. Get on a heart medication and lose weight.

Only drink once in awhile, and instead get into abusing high levels of caffeine.

Start eating stuff without a lot of sugar in it, like corn chips. Add milk to things instead of adding sugar.

clu
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
35 - 10-17-2017, 13:21
a higher power is a cornerstone of AA but they are OK if you just accept a power higher than yourself. maybe this depends on the area but the god aspect is a natural conclusion of the text and maybe less of a prerequisite.

I didn't notice any crazy but maybe those people went on different days.

coombz
VeteranXX
Old
36 - 10-17-2017, 13:48
game is hard

addiction is a *****. Lots of decent advice in here already, my $.02 is that getting addicted to exercise instead is a good shout for you

replace the alcohol buzz w/ endorphin buzz and you will also get healthy again and not be such a fat piece of ****

easier said than done, of course...gl hf

samUwell
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
37 - 10-17-2017, 14:13
I don't know if you are a reader or not but there is a good entry level lecture from the Great Courses you can get on Audible called, The Addictive Brain.
Quote:
Addiction is a problem that affects everyone - even if we haven't experienced addiction ourselves, we all know someone who has. Unfortunately many sources of information about addiction seem inaccessible or irrelevant because they present vague or false science, they present accurate science in an excessively complicated way, or they are more moralistic than informative.

Addiction is sometimes viewed as a failure of character or will or morality. But neuroscience offers a very different picture - one that can inform how we, as individuals and as a society, treat addicts and the problems caused by addiction. These 12 eye-opening lectures will show you that addiction is a scientifically understandable problem that has its origins in neurobiology and genetics.

The Addictive Brain is a fair and balanced investigation of addiction, backed by hard science and behavioral science. Most of us have probably seen the old antidrug commercial in which an actor compares your brain on drugs to an egg sizzling in a hot frying pan. That's a powerful image, but it doesn't tell us what actually happens when drugs enter your body and interact with neurochemical processes.

Professor Polk gives you a comprehensive but concise survey of addiction and the major drugs of abuse, highlighting the differing neurological effects of stimulants, opioids, and more. He also delves into the world of behavioral addictions, such as gambling and compulsive video gaming, which, neurologically, operate very similarly to drug addiction. This course will clearly and compassionately inform you on what addiction means scientifically, socially, and behaviorally.
I think its like 12 hours long or something but i found it to be very informative.

SirBatesAlot
VeteranX
Old
38 - 10-17-2017, 14:20
I drink p heavily on the weekends but typically don't drink much during the week. I certainly have some alcoholic tendencies tho.

Falhawk
VeteranXX
Old
39 - 10-17-2017, 14:36
alcoholism is the only disease you can get yelled at for having

also the buddhist route is pretty good. I believe there's a lot of overlap in overall philosophy just without the god stuff. (I admit that I read a lot of buddhist texts...Pema Chodron is awesome)

NoGodForMe
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
40 - 10-17-2017, 14:44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBatesAlot View Post
I drink p heavily on the weekends but typically don't drink much during the week. I certainly have some alcoholic tendencies tho.
Co-Worker and I were going to happy hour on Friday at Twin Peaks. It was fun for a while. A 22oz beer is $3.85, chips and queso for $4. Problem was I'd go home and continue drinking, then drink again on Sunday watching football. That's my problem, once I start drinking I keep going until I have a buzz.

Lately the co-worker and I agreed to stop happy hour because it was messing him up. Once a week is a good goal to shoot for and only drink craft beers (lay off the hard stuff).

The other thing to do is start drinking at 4 or 5pm. If you start at lunch time you'll want to keep going all day and night. If you start later you'll drink the 6 pack, stay home listening to music, drink water, go to bed. Put the cup of ice water on the night stand and drink it through the night. That's the good thing about my programming, is once I'm buzzed, I go to bed and fall asleep with my headphones on playing music.

Page 2 of 9

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page i'm a functional alcoholic

Social Website Bullshit