Why does tribes3.org get so much attention?

zzz said:
didnt they listen to Tribalwar for Tribes 2 ideas (and beta testers)? If they did, look how great that turned out to be.

Just the opposite happened actually.

Tribalwar people wanted an updated Tribes 1.

Beta testers wanted bugs fixed.

ooops

The next Tribes game will not be designed by the members of TribalWar, or Tribes3.org, or any other forum. We will, however, feel free to implement good ideas from members of each.

There will be much more said about the game Very Soon(TM). When the wraps are taken off you'll see more presence by everyone involved in the game. Until then, we're being hush-hush.

I don't want to stifle the discussion, though. The dev team is lurking and there are still significant parts of the game that are not fully designed, and thus could be influenced by rational and educated debate.

Uranium - 235 said:
Wildcat - The gravbike was pretty weak. It was so fast that hitting it with missiles was almost impossible, because it'd just dart over a hill and the missile'd bury itself in it. It made some capping jobs just too easy.

:lol:

How many times have you seen gravbike capping?

Well banshee almost did it vs 5150 back in the day, but he got stuck on a bridge or something and Vir got him. Banshee is still living that one down ;)

Rabid Poop said:
...this is just a taste of the amount of idiocy on that forum.

I do not understand this.
Why are people on TW so worried that I might read an opinion that isn't pre-sanatized by TW? I am frequently able to recognize sub-par ideas without the aid of any Vet2's ;)

jsut said:
I don't think this forum was created until after that thread was started. Thrax gets annoyed pretty quickly by all the dorks in general though, which may well be why this forum was created in the first place, so they could maybe have a few threads that didn't degenerate into "OMG T2 SUX" on the second page.
Quite frankly the signal to noise ratio in the main TW forum is so high that I can't keep up with it. Finding something that may be worth reading is nearly impossible while actually trying to work. I pointed that out to Colosus when he came up to visit the home office and he said "I can fix that". And here we are.

However...

TW won't be the only place I post. We're planning to rotate thru all the fan sites. T3.org was just the first.

Marweas said:
Someday people on TW will get over the idea that they are the only voice of the tribes community or have the only opinion that matters... :heart:
sorry alex but the majority of people here that acctually played the game (stupid members join to annoy me) care about how it turns out and want to make it fun and not full of extra stuff that will just make the learning curve harder for new people. most of the people at tribes3.org have never played a face paced game in t1 or t2. all they care about are more and more things to be added. t1 was great because after you got the jist of the armor and jets, everything was fun and easy.

Thrax Panda said:
Quite frankly the signal to noise ratio in the main TW forum is so high that I can't keep up with it. Finding something that may be worth reading is nearly impossible while actually trying to work.

Why are you complaining? The longer it takes for you to cycle through all the posts, then the longer it takes for you to -really- work.

If only I got paid whoring TW.... I'd be rich.

jsut said:
Well banshee almost did it vs 5150 back in the day, but he got stuck on a bridge or something and Vir got him. Banshee is still living that one down ;)

Damn that was funny.. that was a great cast by WSBN.

Yaason said:
sorry alex but the majority of people here that acctually played the game (stupid members join to annoy me) care about how it turns out and want to make it fun and not full of extra stuff that will just make the learning curve harder for new people. most of the people at tribes3.org have never played a face paced game in t1 or t2. all they care about are more and more things to be added. t1 was great because after you got the jist of the armor and jets, everything was fun and easy.

Well said.

Yes it is important not to goes the "bells and whistles" line of development. T1 was simple, it wasn't hard to learn everything, meaning you could have fun easily. But, that said, with extreme amounts of play, players got unbelieveably good. Just because you don't have 30 different gun options, doesn't mean you can't continue to learn new things about how to play the game months and years into playing. I am not saying re-make t1, because i would buy it and simply not play it. T3 needs to be something new, just be bold enough to not include everything that vets loved about t1, because it is old hat, but don't be scared to try something new, that no one in the community has suggested.

I know this is stating the obvious to the dev team, but it is a pat on the back to say "Go son.. make me proud" and a "don't be so bloody annoying vets, we don't need t1 with fancy graphics"

Thrax Panda said:
Why are people on TW so worried that I might read an opinion that isn't pre-sanatized by TW? I am frequently able to recognize sub-par ideas without the aid of any Vet2's ;)

We just worry about your well-being... ;-)

I would actually prefer sierra keep their QA's at tribes3.org

I enjoy ToT right now b/c the vast majority of the discussion is either well thought out or at LEAST in the bounds of not being outright gay. An influx of posters means an influx of garbage posts "Do you think there should be helicopter helmat packs?" "Who would win in a fight between the Tribes3 Heavy Armor and Mega Man using the X Buster?" etc.

I'm not saying I myself have never made a stupid post, I'm just saying that if or when I do at the moment it's easily forgivable b/c there's no over abundebce of such posts.

It's not like this is some attentinon whoring contest where tribalwar needs to jump up and down and flap their arms to get noticed. Just talk about tribes like you normally do and it's practically guaranteed to attract weasley weasels and jaded pandas.

Any QA here is gonna get linked from General Tribes, Tribes3.org, TWL, and Tribalwar's front news page which then ALSO gets a redundent post in General Tribes with "NEWS:" tagged on it.

No, I think tribes3.org is the best place. There's really nothing we can ask that hasn't already been said that we CAN ask and get a serious answer. Everything else is pretty much "no comment" or someone trying to hide a feature suggestion in the form of a question.

Besides, I really like reading Thrax's cynical replies (no I'm not full of myself, I'm just as sure we'd see them here as much as anywhere).

Personally, I perfer that guy (I think he was from the Junkyard) just grab up all the questions and answers again and put them in a nice, easy readable page :]

Sir Lucius said:
Any QA here is gonna get linked from General Tribes, Tribes3.org, TWL, and Tribalwar's front news page which then ALSO gets a redundent post in General Tribes with "NEWS:" tagged on it.

No, I think tribes3.org is the best place. There's really nothing we can ask that hasn't already been said that we CAN ask and get a serious answer. Everything else is pretty much "no comment" or someone trying to hide a feature suggestion in the form of a question.

Besides, I really like reading Thrax's cynical replies (no I'm not full of myself, I'm just as sure we'd see them here as much as anywhere).

Personally, I perfer that guy (I think he was from the Junkyard) just grab up all the questions and answers again and put them in a nice, easy readable page :]

We have the ability to link our news to ANY post or create a new one with the News: tag in general if we wish.

The people who run tribes3.org had to be told how to send out news about what was going on because they didn't know. There's a reason TW gets linked by TWL, Blue's News, and many other sites.

Tribes3.org doesn't have the core playerbase, the staffing, the experience (yet). Tribalwar has more resources and can gather them quickly.

We've been around the block a few times.

Please note I'm not saying we're the best because we've been around the longest. I'm not even saying TW is the best (but of course without a doubt it is ;)).

Tribalwar had great QA sessions during T2's development. Of course the Q's were great but the A's very misleading. I don't see an ego problem this time around.

Just because the General Forums have become what they are does not mean that Tribalwar is no longer a Tribes site. The staff is heavily committed to making TW the Tribes site for information. The Tribes site for news. The Tribes site for files. We have worked hard to put these resources in place and will continue to in the future.

if thats what you say then why are my 2 sources of "files" and "scripts" for t2 found on planettribes.com and slingscripts.com? I would love to see tribalwar become what it once was in t1. THE place to go for everything concerning tribes. However, noone here is putting in the effort to get the tribes hosted and the scripters hosted and the skinners hosted.

They've put in a lot of effort. Yogi built the RDB, stuff just isn't getting put into it for whatever reason.

I think TW should probably have a staff member that (like slinger) just grabs everything he can and uploads it to the site. Relying on lazy assed scripters like myself to do so isn't going to work that well. BigWig used to do the same thing for the depot.

its little things like skins and scripts that drive traffic to the site. Its the forums that keep ppl .. but inititally its the little things like a demo or a script.

Back