America: The no-vacation nation.

We had a guy from Finland come into where I work today and I asked him about this after having read this thread. He said that it was pretty awesome. I think he said they get 5 or 6 weeks off and they get paid time and a half to do it.

We get nearly a month off a year of accumulated pto. Sadly, I have to work holidays, if they fall during my regular work week (Sun-Thurs). If I do have to work on a holiday, I get the choice of taking triple pay for the day, or double time and a deferred pto day to use when I want. My wife likes the extra money, but I always take the latter option (I get paid for three days, plus the extra day off). I normally take a couple of one week vacations, then burn the rest by taking Sundays off to have a three day weekend, once or twice a month. As whiny as it sounds, it never seems like enough.

I feel the same way. I am jealous of Europe's vacation time. It doesn't seem like the Euro's quality of life is negatively impacted because they get lots of vacation, so what benefit do I get from working 3 or 4 extra weeks? Also, maternity leave in some other countries is much more generous. My friend in Iceland got a paid month and he is the FATHER. His wife got 3 months full pay and after that she could extend her leave but would get a % of full pay (still pretty decent %). The hell? At my company you could use your 3 or 4 weeks of paid vacation, hope the kid is ready for day care after that!

When I was working for Virginia Opera, I received six weeks of paid paternity leave when my first two kids were born.

Surprisingly good for a company where I worked plenty of 60-hour weeks for non-profit pay/benefits.

25 wks per year? i call bs

Reading comprehension fail (unless you're kidding). ;)

Three weeks to start = 15 working days.

Plus one extra day for every year you work there, for up to 10 years, for a total possible annual vacation tally of 25 days.

Reading comprehension fail (unless you're kidding). ;)

Three weeks to start = 15 working days.

Plus one extra day for every year you work there, for up to 10 years, for a total possible annual vacation tally of 25 days.

:)

FW: FW: Subject: FW: HOLIDAY FEEDBACK

- listing some of the guest's complaints during
the season.

"There are too many Spanish people. The receptionist speaks Spanish.

"The food is Spanish. Too many foreigners now live abroad."

"We had to queue outside with no air conditioning."

"We went on holiday to Spain and had a problem with the taxi drivers
as they were all Spanish..."

"On my holiday to Goa in India, I was disgusted to find that almost
every restaurant served curry. I don't like spicy food at all."

"We bought' Ray-Ban' sunglasses for five Euros ($7.00) from a street
trader, only to find out they were fake."

book your ski trips now folks

aren't those complaints all from british tourists?

what do we get for the 1.1 trillion we spend on defence each year?

FACT CHECKER TO THE RESCUE!!!

US defense spending in 2010, including the wars in iraq and afghanistan, was ~$680 billion. Including veterans benefits and foreign military aid, this rises to about $750 billion.

When I was working for Virginia Opera, I received six weeks of paid paternity leave when my first two kids were born.

Surprisingly good for a company where I worked plenty of 60-hour weeks for non-profit pay/benefits.

thats good?

fuck you get 10 months here at 93% salary if your a man or a woman, it doesn't matter

I've been at this job 3 years. I get 3 weeks PTO(4 at the 5 year mark up to 8 weeks at 15(20?) years) 10 holidays and 1:1 comp time over 45 hours a week(this adds up when I do 80 hour weeks during installs).

I took 3 weeks off over xmas last year and I'm taking 2 weeks off this summer, long vacations don't seem to be an issue. :shrug: I do have to plan my longer vacations a month or two in advance so I can schedule projects around my time off.

We are required to take all of our vacation every year so the last few weeks of December are usually pretty slow in the office. :p I would say life:work balance is pretty good but I wouldn't complain about another week or two. I wouldn't trade pay for it though.

IMO, GDP per hour worked is not really a good index of productivity

Also, a couple researchers have done interesting work that details how standard productivity measures bias our estimated productivity higher than it should be due to elements of offshoring; for example, An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

It's certainly not a perfect measure. I'd be happy to discuss others.

Their paper is certainly interesting. There are numerous biases in all economic statistics that countries use that are probably slightly inaccurate. This being one of them. Not huge in the grand scheme of things (tenth of a percentage point), but thanks for linking it! :)

Back