First online experience? by JuggerNaught - Page 2 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page First online experience?
Page 2 of 3
Lord Elessar
or something³
Contributor
Old
21 - 06-18-2018, 23:44
telling my mom not to answer the phone when it rang so we could connect p2p and play warcraft 2. we got a 2nd phone line eventually.

Sponsored Links
Gorlax
VeteranXX
Old
22 - 06-19-2018, 06:43
Anyone remember Ten to play Duke Nuken?

consultant
VeteranXX
Old
23 - 06-19-2018, 07:36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlax View Post
Anyone remember Ten to play Duke Nuken?
Yuppers... shrinking someone and stomping them was so damn satisfying

Nmag
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
24 - 06-19-2018, 07:51
Was Quake 1 for me. Massive ping and kept getting fragged by some dude. That was my first match. I played a fair bit of Quake since then.

Here is my first match of Quake Champions last week.

K : D 11 : 1

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
25 - 06-19-2018, 09:53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool View Post
I mean if we used discord we're just playing in real time
i mean we the party figure out what we are doing then post stuff here
rather than a million clarifying posts that bog the thread up

FiEND
VeteranXX
Old
26 - 06-19-2018, 10:04
i used jump on the bus and go to the computer store. they had hundreds of shareware apps i could copy on floppy.

then eventually got a 300baud and started on the bbs's

played mutants as well and came in first for the championship .. but dont know if it was monthly or what. fun ass game back then.

the internet was slow to develop when we still had to dial in to servers.

Denver
VeteranXX
Old
27 - 06-19-2018, 10:47
quake/tribes 1
and some irc and web chats.

Infernus
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
28 - 06-19-2018, 12:26
my experience was similar with the BBS thing in the mid-80s. i remember playing legend of the red dragon (LORD) daily in the early 90s. ****ing violet...that *****. also playing on DWANGO a few years after that. blood LAN games at the local nerd shop. then tribes arrived and my life was over.

TheVoiceOfReason
VeteranX
Old
29 - 06-19-2018, 14:18
I missed out on the BBS thing for the most part, having been mesmerized by the weird wild mix of internetworks we had access to at Va Tech in the 80s.

Falhawk
VeteranXX
Old
30 - 06-19-2018, 14:19
I remember puking when juggs talked about eating ass

samUwell
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
31 - 06-19-2018, 16:22
AOL & Rise of the Triad.

JuggerNaught
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
32 - 06-19-2018, 20:03
I also remember email was sketchy af. I had a small bbs running on my little piddly 486, mostly for files and email. It was part of Throbnet, which was email that was primarily eastern seaboard. Every night at midnight, the bbs would kick everyone off, then accept/send email bundles, sort of like a repeater. If anyone was down, your email could take days or weeks to reach the intended person.

and we had to walk to school. with no shoes, in the snow, uphill both ways

Ixiterra
VeteranXV
Old
34 - 06-19-2018, 21:31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuggerNaught View Post
I also remember email was sketchy af. I had a small bbs running on my little piddly 486, mostly for files and email. It was part of Throbnet, which was email that was primarily eastern seaboard. Every night at midnight, the bbs would kick everyone off, then accept/send email bundles, sort of like a repeater. If anyone was down, your email could take days or weeks to reach the intended person.

and we had to walk to school. with no shoes, in the snow, uphill both ways
are you talking about FidoNet? Wikipedia has no entry for throbnet and I've never heard of it. And it wasn't "email", it was fidonet mail. It also didn't work like what you describe.

The Magical Zoo
VeteranXV
Old
35 - 06-20-2018, 00:05
So, Corporal Shephard, we meet at last. Please, don't think that I've been avoiding you, a great many matters require my attention in these... troubled times. I do hope you understand, and now I require a further indulgence on your part. I cannot close my report until every loose end has been tied up. The biggest embarrassment has been Black Mesa facility, but I think that's finally taken care of itself...

Quite so.

But there is still the lingering matter of witnesses. I admit I have a fascination with those who adapt and survive against all odds. They rather remind me of myself. If for no other reason, I have argued to preserve you for a time.

While I believe a civil servant like yourself understands the importance of... discretion, my employers are not quite so trusting, and rather than continually subject you to the irresistible human temptation of telling all, we have decided to...convey you to somewhere where you can do no possible harm, and where no harm can come to you. I'm sure you can imagine there are worse alternatives.

Spoiler

blackpeople
REEEEEEEEEEEXV
Old
36 - 06-20-2018, 00:08
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontw View Post
In 1998 the world started. It was called Tribes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hMp65SzyTU

JackBootedThug
VeteranXV
Old
37 - 06-20-2018, 01:02
http://www.chathouse.com
A chat website where you kept having to refresh Netscape in order to see the new messages.

Played "Interstate '76" online on 28k modem on USA host from Australia. Totally unplayable teleportation fest, but hey it was online, so novelty outweighed gameplay.

Notable mentiion was Powow chat app by Tribal Voice. Had a whiteboard which one could draw with people as well as voice chat.

Art Bell Show and .rm files.

Hover Race.

Des
VeteranXX
Old
38 - 06-20-2018, 07:26
I did some BBS stuff in the 90s, but my first impressionable online experience was seeing I think either Quake or Quake II on a buddy’s PC in the dorms and having my mind blown that every character in the match had a real person somewhere playing it. A few summers after that a friend showed me tribes. Was an even bigger impression on me.

FiEND
VeteranXX
Old
39 - 06-20-2018, 10:29
lol. that reminds me. i went to a lan party where we actually brought our pc and crt. we played a bunch of fps and **** then we all tried tribes. 20 people running around playing ctf and all i did was grab flag and ski around laughing at them for the whole match, all they could figure out was walking. only played one map of course.

Falhawk
VeteranXX
Old
40 - 06-20-2018, 11:14
plying decent in college dorm

rise of the triad too

Page 2 of 3

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page First online experience?

Social Website Bullshit