Vengeance Vengeance

El Mariachi said:
So what I'm saying is: why do people thing GG can make a fun Tribes game? It was an accident the first fucking time.

T2 was not a bad game, far more robust than TV. The only reason so many of you neglect it to this day is because they nerfed the speed to hell with the base game. I think that mistakes pretty obvious now. Who else knows Tribes physics and Torque better than Dynamix..er Garage Games.

TseTse said:
lmao

ill pass... but thanks for reproducing that
i know you can do good maps and have guys who can do excellent modeling.
why not join the legends people and put your skills to the test and help create a game worthwhile instead of rambling about how you know it all?

NoFiX said:
Anyone else remember this quote by Alex Rodberg(Marweas):

Originally Posted by Marweas-Dec2002
When we make another Tribes game
(I'm still thinking of a good name)
Skiing will require skill -
No speed cap, and skiing uphill.
The graphics rock - worlds come alive -
But won't require a GeForce 5.
Lance, bomber, tank, I doubt they'll go
But they'll be better this time though.
We learned our lesson about forums -
They're the domain of those who whore 'em.
An open beta early on
Will help make sure the bugs are gone
So it's a given that we'll have one
And only launch when it is done.
Can't trust a weasel not to lie
But cross my fingers, hope to die
No more a question - may or might
The next Tribes game got a green light.​
So, the big question, Alex, what did you learn this time?

edit: http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=174387&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

Lol, now you are my fav Tribal ballbuster.

SarcaStick said:
i know you can do good maps and have guys who can do excellent modeling.
why not join the legends people and put your skills to the test and help create a game worthwhile instead of rambling about how you know it all?

well, i love how you combine insults with compliments. how mature.

actually, i WAS on the legends team a long time ago. i broke off with some people cuz at that time they ONLY wanted to make a tribes clone. oddly enough, i got flamed back then for suggesting legends try to be unique and perhaps even try something new...

im interested in doing other stuff, but fully support legends in what they are doing these days. ill even push tribesy stuff in other games when i see the opportunities...

ok, back to flaming...

Last edited:
Celestial said:
THE TRIBAL COUNCIL!!@# :rofl:

That had to be the worst circle jerk ever known to the gaming industry.

They crossed my mind last night as these posts continue about our need for some sort of accord. I cringe when I think of our community being represented by Goaks.

I don't think it was a big deal or poorly conceived for the most part. Just not what I'd choose for the next round.

Last edited:
guy.welch said:
I agree with "Tribes the Xerox PARC of the gaming world." I stood next to the EA guy at the 2005 CES show and said that BF2 was basically Tribes, and he totally agreed.

Shall we forget Halo? Bungie originally made Halo in response to Tribes. Look where Halo 2 went with some marketing money behind it. Halo was to Tribes, what Unreal was to Quake.

?B-MAN said:
Shall we forget Halo? Bungie originally made Halo in response to Tribes. Look where Halo 2 went with some marketing money behind it. Halo was to Tribes, what Unreal was to Quake.

god, that's got a grain of depressing truth...

although i think bungie deserves some credit on their own, but guh...

Magus said:
you are gonna honestly argue that t2 had a large fan base?

Half the 750,000 odd copies T2 sold were sold outside of North America.

I was there playing with people in Europe, South Korea, and Australia--which you could do if you adjusted the listservs. They are the reason T2 had an ROI that Marweas and Thrax could use to lobby for the patch and T:V. T2 wasn't a blockbuster, but it was a successful game.

There's no sense talking about T1 like it was just one thing. There were the Shifter people. The Renegades people. Several other large (1000+) mod followings. Maybe they weren't here, but they had their hangouts.

Thrax and Marweas were very thoughtful in what they did. I don't know what "went wrong," but in two years they earned enough of my respect to not have me speaking to aspects of their work I know nothing about. I am sure they could write a damn book about what they went thru and I hope they do. Comparing either to DaveG is a new low class, even at Tribalwar.

Miracle said:
I am sure they could write a damn book about what they went thru and I hope they do. Comparing either to DaveG is a new low class, even at Tribalwar.

Theres an idea. Get Marweas to write a book about this whole debacle, tie it in with the gaming industry angst between publishers, developers and fans, sell millions of copies on Amazon.com, and buy the franchise outright.

Ok Marweas get writing.

how about less arguing and more ideas? Marweas never fully said his ideas becore this turned into a TribalWar thread. Lets try to get something aside from bitching out of this thread. past is past. stfu and focus on the future.

NoFiX said:
Anyone else remember this quote by Alex Rodberg(Marweas):

Originally Posted by Marweas-Dec2002
When we make another Tribes game
(I'm still thinking of a good name)
Skiing will require skill -
No speed cap, and skiing uphill.
The graphics rock - worlds come alive -
But won't require a GeForce 5.
Lance, bomber, tank, I doubt they'll go
But they'll be better this time though.
We learned our lesson about forums -
They're the domain of those who whore 'em.
An open beta early on
Will help make sure the bugs are gone
So it's a given that we'll have one
And only launch when it is done.
Can't trust a weasel not to lie
But cross my fingers, hope to die
No more a question - may or might
The next Tribes game got a green light.

So, the big question, Alex, what did you learn this time?

edit: http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=174387&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

wow .. i had forgotten about this one .. funny to see only one or two items on that list to become realized ... what a sad reminder of all the lies and broken promises :(

WTFF, 19 pages and Marweas STILL hasn't fessed up this big plan??

Come on man, spill it. I'm well-prepared to let what they have now die so that something good can come of it, but you have got to speak up and let the people that are willing know what's going on. Look at how many branches this thread has sprouted.

Cliff notes pages 1-8:

Marweas's post to start teh thread:
http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371906&page=1&pp=20

Page 3: - crux of the matter:
ZenTseTse said:
let's get real... before we all pretend we can get what we want (without even having any clear sense of what's wanted)

Page 4: - a suggested course of action:
Marweas said:
LOL, no, writing VUG will do nothing.

VUG always listens attentively to their customers: Best Buy, Walmart, EB, Gamestop. And believe me that one thousand well-coordinated emails to the right people in one week will result in all remaining copies of TV being sent back to VUG for a refund. Take the money they have to pay back retailers against the full-price buy-in, add the opportunity cost of the $20 those copies were supposed to sell for, and you have a small dent in VUG's 2005 annual report. And if it's big enough to have to mention on the annual report, well...

But this is an action that only works well-organized, so don't try this at home.

Page 7: - Is this what TW wants?
dr_boom said:
I want:
T1/T2C physics, enhanced T2 command screen, T2 inventory system and
every gametype, every weapon, every vehicle, every pack, and every deployable from all the tribes games.
All wrapped in a beautiful looking engine that can:
Replicate the above mentioned physics
Support large team battles
Allow server admins to turn on or off any weapon, any vehicle, any pack, and any deployable. (Let the community decide what works for comp or pub...the community is too fragmented to unite on this anyway...and you'll turn less away from the sales counter)
Attract a healthy modding community
Man, the Tribes series has had much of its pioneering elements borrowed from to produce many successful games. It needs to be re-released on gamers in its entirety. Throw in everything including the toilet and market it that way. Tell em the mother of all team online fps has returned and she's gonna let you customize her to your liking.
You want T1 style only play?......you can have it
You want T2 style with vehicles?....you can have that too
You want shocklance only CnH with just heavies?....yep even that

Page 7: - returning to thread focus:
pocketgamer said:
This has gotten way offtopic. People are trying to discuss different parts of the phase.
We need seperate threads to handle:
*What will be presented to VUG and what we will do to screw them
*List of our demands
*If demands are met, list of what we want to do with Tribes
*Get Garage Games to make things happen
*Raise money to mass distribute game and advertise it
This can't all be done in one thread. Right now we need to create a list of demands, and someone who does legal, write it into a nice looking paper.

Page 7: - the TW problem restated:
InfamousButcher said:
Nothing will come of any of this. This sheepish community reacts to anything. First T:V is the king's shit, then it's fuck T:V let's all go to Legends, and now everyone is ready to take on VUG. LOL
What really is going to happen is you are going to sit behind your computer and take it in the ass like you've done with the past 2 Tribes games.
The shame of it all is that a brilliant idea for a game franchise fell into the wrong hands.
Long Live Tribes![/QUOTE

Page 8: - getting back to thread focus, again:
Pachacutec said:
yeha i'm of the opinion this wont do anything but piss vu off, at best, and that would be a huge stretch.
I think Plague has some good points, and thats something people need to angle towards- maturity, compromise, and community building, but I definitley think Vir is dead on when he says the core game of Tribes needs to be immediate to new players. T:V definitely did not have that as the game started to evolve. New players hopped on, got discouraged and left.
Define a core gametype to rally new players, allow the engine to expand to a number of possibilities within the Tribes frame, but dont limit the possibilties. Tribes as an idea is WAY beyond CTF, and its time for it to begin branching out, what else can it do. I'm not saying no CTF, I'm just saying what else.
The communty definitely needs to rally and the fruitless arguing needs to be done with, dont waste time shitting on people, lets make things, build things etc.

Back