News: TribalWar Vengeance Movie

WOW! i just got done watching the T:V Movie I LOVE it but i have one thing i don't like about it.
I LOVE how they put the game and all the new weapons but i don't like how slow the damn Dics's go... or am i just on crack!?!?!?!?. Well i hope they put some other game types like D&D and Arena.

Slant_This said:
I'll buy it, I'll play it if that is where the comp is,

I think I'd like more gravity, but beta is the time for those changes I think

btw, whoever was playing sucked ass
That would be the Colosus you'd be insulting. ;)

experimental said:
what would you prefer? easy for them and too easy for you? ;)

easy to learn, hard to master.

Except that easy to learn, hard to master, might accidentally mean, easy to learn, too easy for the masters.

That would be the fear expressed by those who are reticent to grasp a theoretical movement in which lateral thrust is greater than vertical thrust.

Edit: My personal opinion is, I'll wait to try it before I make a final decision. Nevertheless, you know my full opinion from my rants earlier in this thread.

Last edited:
experimental said:
drifting / aircontrol allows you to apply purely horizontal thrust while going down without applying any vertical thrust. just hold the direction you want to adjust without holding thrust.
This allows you to correct for mistakes without ANY consequence because strafing in the air doesn't drain jet energy.

RegisteredFruit said:
This allows you to correct for mistakes without ANY consequence because strafing in the air doesn't drain jet energy.

i agree thats a potential problem, we'll look at all this in beta. cheers

experimental said:
imo we have to let people move around, but punish them (via energy use) for needing to correct, hence the new players still have an edge over them.[...]

consider the new player that jets to reach a platform, but underestimates, they want to correct. they get annoyed if they cant. -- with our physics system, the new player can jet to the platform, mess it up in a minor way, and still have enough thrust (if they spend all their energy) to correct and hit the platform.

now to allow for this level of forgiveness at low end movement, and 'compression' of thrust boost to quickly get new players up to 35kph when thrusting (which is afterall, just running speed), without toasting it for vets, thats our challenge.

Agreed. After watching the video, and stalking you through the forums for a while (gotta love that "find all posts by experimental" feature ;)), here's my own perspective on the whole "floaty" issue.

1. Where's the gravity? Things don't appear to fall quickly enough...I understand that all the physics are correct, but the video really makes it look like you're flying around in a low-g environment. In order for the freedom of motion in Tribes to really feel like freedom of motion, we need to feel like we need to do something to keep in the air.

I suspect that you could solve a lot of this by simply giving the armors more mass. Increase the thrust accordingly (so they still accelerate the same) but make them feel heavier in the air.

The goal is not to feel like a fairy dancing in the clouds. This isn't Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, where you tiptoe gracefully across the treetops. This is Tribes, where you're wearing a ton of powered armor, a big heavy metal suit of protection that you couldn't even lift on your own. You should feel like the only thing keeping you up in the air is thrust, and the momentum you get from it.

THRUST. In T1, it's more important than the air you breathe. In T:V, I think it should be powerful (as it appears in the videos)...WHAM you hit the thruster, you get results. But when you let go, you should start falling a bit more quickly.

The main point I'm trying to make is that the freedom of vertical movement in T:V will seem even more liberating if the gravity is more pronounced.

2. Here's how I would solve the predictability issue:

Increase the player's inertia. (Which of course means increasing the player's mass...yep, same solution as #1.) Make it so that when you thrust in a given direction, you accelerate quickly. But if you want to counter that movement, and move in another direction, you have to first overcome the inertia.

Since you've stated that real physics are already involved, I'll assume that this is already happening. What I would recommend is to make it feel more pronounced.

This gives more strategic importance to the movements you make while in the air, because you need to plan your moves better if you want to keep your momentum. Once you jet to the right, you can't just instantly move to the left...you'll need to jet "through" your inertia if you want to reverse directions like that.

So, the new player who needs to correct at the top of a jump in order to land on the platform, is able to do so with no problems. But in a fight, that same ability to move easily in one direction at a time means that it will be harder not to telegraph your moves.

The trick, of course, is not to increase mass/inertia/gravity so much that you feel overly limited by them. The key to that, of course, is balancing thrust amplitude and thrust availability so you always feel able to maneuver -- just not completely without discretion.

RegisteredFruit said:

Ah...good point! I've been assuming that strafing in the air involves some kind of thrust, and isn't a purely aerobatic maneuver.

If it's supposed to be aerobatic, then there definitely needs to be less responsive. Think of how aircraft react to control surfaces...once you begin a roll to the left, there is a set amount of time involved in switching to a roll to the right.

Validuz said:
fudge you all for ignoring my post :(
I agree with most of your post.

One thing I'm almost sure about is you will be able to do whatever you want to the chat hud (resize/move) because the only client side scripting in the game will be for the huds. Speaking about the chat hud, I really like how there are no annoying death messages filling it up anymore, rather they're in a separate hud with just the names of who killed who and with what weapon (it was on the bottom left of the screen in the video).

About the invs, you will only need to go full screen to change your loadout configs, once they're setup they said it'll be like T2, but I'm not really sure if it'll be exactly the same. From what I understand you'll have to actually press the key for your loadout when you're on the station every time, unlike T2 where you select it just once and then walk onto the inv and leave. If it does work the way I'm thinking it does I think there should be a setting or something for ppl who want it like T2, I find that system the best (because it's the quickest way to get a loadout).

Validuz said:
[*]Full-screen inventories are very annoying and are one of the main features I hated about T1. They limit your vision completely.. leaving you totally defenseless, and there won't be any scripts like there was in T1, so that needs to get fixed/changed imo.

I agree with this.

Additionally, is there a commander screen? If so, I would believe the same rule applies for it (not taking up the full screen) for the same reason.

Ok we REALLY need a central database with all the T:V info because I see the same questions/misconceptions popping up in ALOT of threads now.
afaik you will be able to select your inv fav before you enter the inv station. They simply combined the T1- and T2 systems.

Last edited:
Looks pretty bad ass to me. I think they can get rid of the flag "trails". More or less is something similar to happy flag. Someone wants to know where the flag is then they better fudgeing pay attention. Also, in their current form the ragdoll physics blow.

However, having said all that, it is best not to judge a job until it is finished.

Teh End.

ut2k4 ctf had something that showed where both flags were. But it was not a flag icon. Here is a pic.

flag1.JPG

at the top is 2 circles showing both teams flags. Around it is a little dot that changes direction depending on where the flag actually is. Note it does not show exactly where the flag is but only the general direction of it.

ut2k4 also included an arrow that would appear in the center if the flag was above or below you.

This would let noobs know where to go but they wouldnt be able to just take out their sniper rifle and shoot the flag icon.

for the record, i am LOVING the slower discs

it's going to add a lot more skill to the process, and also encourage the use of other weapons...

Writer said:
I suspect that you could solve a lot of this by simply giving the armors more mass. Increase the thrust accordingly (so they still accelerate the same) but make them feel heavier in the air.

Increase the player's inertia. (Which of course means increasing the player's mass...yep, same solution as #1.) Make it so that when you thrust in a given direction, you accelerate quickly. But if you want to counter that movement, and move in another direction, you have to first overcome the inertia.

Since you've stated that real physics are already involved, I'll assume that this is already happening. What I would recommend is to make it feel more pronounced.

I dont think that actually works.
The physics code would look something like so:

Player.Acceleration = (NetThrust - AirResistances) / mass;
Player.Velocity += Player.Acceleration * dt;
Player.Position += Player.Velocity * dt;
(the dt is the time elapsed from the last frame. Dont worry about it)
Now your suggestion is to increase mass, but "increase thrust accordingly".
Well, F = ma.
2F = 2ma
I just increased mass by 2. And "increased thrust accordingly".
Hey look, the acceleration doesnt actually change. It's the same damn thing in the end.

Also a higher mass will not make you "feel heavier" in the air.
The force that makes you FALL is (acceleration due to gravity) * (mass).
so 9.8m/s/s * Xkilograms = 9.8X newtons.
Now your acceleration downward is F=ma, or 9.8X = X(a)
Uht oh, hey look your acceleration is always 9.8m/s^2 no matter what you put in for mass.

This is the same reason a bowling ball and mac truck will fall at the same speed in a vacuum.

Back