News: TribalWar Vengeance Movie

I posted a pretty long post a bit below, relating to some of the predictability that's been brought up here, but on the air/ground issue that hasn't been touched on yet. (Also some thoughts on how the hook effects both).

Experi, here's a question though in this thread. Give us a sense of speed for those numbers you're talking about. If we apply them to the arena map, and you were able to go in a straight line (remove obstacles from the map), how fast flag to flag at 30kph?

[dof]DudshoT said:
i was thinking..

skiing would appear more 'organic' if your character would bend his knees a little when
landing.

:shrug:

already does, we have an upper and lower skiing pose which is blended based on a spring. problem is, this animation does not yet replicated across the network so that other players dont see it - sorry. you can see it in single player although, and we'll fix that bug shortly. (i'm the animation programmer as well as physics guy ;))

also, in our current build (not e3 unfortunately) if you kill somebody while they are thrusting, their jetpack stays on and the ragdoll gets thrusted around like a balloon then breakdances on the ground.

;)

ZProtoss said:
I posted a pretty long post a bit below, relating to some of the predictability that's been brought up here, but on the air/ground issue that hasn't been touched on yet. (Also some thoughts on how the hook effects both).

Experi, here's a question though in this thread. Give us a sense of speed for those numbers you're talking about. If we apply them to the arena map, and you were able to go in a straight line (remove obstacles from the map), how fast flag to flag at 30kph?

our world is at real scale, so 35kph in real life, is 35kph in our game. or as close as we've been able to make it.

consider that we're ramping down maneuverability at the same speed you guys are driving around local streets in your cars (50kph), and you'll get a sense that its not really that fast.

of course, this is a game though, and its not this simple. its subjective, and while 50kph doesnt seem very fast to you, it seems fast to the guy trying to shoot you.

its a delicate balancing act to say the least :(

It looks to need a little more gravity. Players just need to be heavier, which should speed things up a bit. The disk launcher physics look dead on though(the disks seem a tad slow tho). For the love of god please someone disk jump in future videos!

I remember a review for tribes1 saying how the gameplay looked as if you would've stirred up a wasp's nest. A few friends that have seen tribes in action have said the exact same thing. If you can get the gameplay to look like an angry wasp's nest then you will probably please all the vets.

ZProtoss said:

for what its worth, arena is probably one of our smallest maps. its quite fair to say that what you see in such a small map is almost exlusively low end -> intermediate range. you just cant get that much speed up in a small map like that.

rest assured that for larger maps the high end effects come into play more, although i'll admit its not yet perfect. i'd say its unlikely that anybody i was watching in that vid exceeded 100kph horizontal... and most of the time they seem sub 50kph.

(experimental hint: if you are at e3, press the X key to toggle a debug hud showing your current horizontal, vertical and overall speed.)

One more quick suggestion before I go out. I know you guys are concerned about the sp game, thats where a lot of the money is going to come from in new players etc. So instead of having a different config for noobs/vets just make the physics noobified in SP entirely, to attract new players, get the money etc. And just have the slightly altered physics in mp full stop, with a short, simple, tutuorial about the differences of sp/mp thrusting, and to not get frustrated your a noob etc. How many noobs will seriously play mp consistently. And if they are serious they will learn. Hmm again maybe wishful thinking, too many assumptions, just another suggestion though...

jpr333 said:
One more quick suggestion before I go out. I know you guys are concerned about the sp game, thats where a lot of the money is going to come from in new players etc. So instead of having a different config for noobs/vets just make the physics noobified in SP entirely, to attract new players, get the money etc. And just have the slightly altered physics in mp full stop, with a short, simple, tutuorial about the differences of sp/mp thrusting, and to not get frustrated your a noob etc. How many noobs will seriously play mp consistently. And if they are serious they will learn. Hmm again maybe wishful thinking, too many assumptions, just another suggestion though...

sure, well i see your point but to be quite honest, sierra wants an MP game (not just SP) that appeals to both new and veteral players, to broaden the fanbase and get more sales.

to say that single player is the moneyspinner is probably only half true, sure halflife sold based on its single player - but it kept selling because of online counterstrike.

i'm just taking a guess here, but i dont think sierra would want such a defeatist attitude when it comes to MP, we really do have to try to get both of you guys happy with the one config, as much as we possibly can. anything else is really a last resort that isnt my call to make.

at the risk of being called an asskisser.. I like this guy experimental. :sex:

edit: but you guys really have to do something with the corny announcer stuff as indicated in my sig.

[SHiN]AkumA said:
wow! its T2 with a grappling hook! gj guys!

:(

the only thing our game has in common with T2 is that its not T1.

we're not basing our game directly on t1, but we're certainly aiming for a veteran high end closer to t1 than t2.

we have no speed cap, we'll have proper skiing, we wont make the game slow and soupy with high drag and frictions.

Just watched the film.

Interesting to say the least. I would say the game has got the potential to be a t1 & t2 beater! Obviously it would be easier to judge on the intensity of the game, with a lot more ppl in the arena.

I have a few questions for Experimental tho. (I would also add that all my questions are based on seen footage of someone else playing, rather than personal hands-ongame experience, and I reserve to the right to withdraw them after playing the game /disclaimer)

I also accept that this is pre-alpha, and that all the questions I ask may be rendered obselete by future changes.

1. Changing direction in the air seems to be quite easy. There seemed to be no sense of weight of this armour, and inertia/momentum. Changing direction at high speed is kinda hard irl, but it didnt appear to be the case in the film. I understand that this is powered armour, with all the benifits involved, but its still governed by the law of physics?

2. Weight is also related to my question of the rag doll effect. From films ive seen, included this one, the bodies do seem to bouncy overly on contact with the ground/static objects. Is there any plans to put a bit of mass into these animations so they appear a little less cartoony, and a bit more real world like? (im not suggesting motion capturing cadavers! :))

3. Jet trails : I for one would like to see puffs of smoke, and such like rather than lines, and they would then disperse after a time. Otherwise the trails could be seen to shout "HERE I AM" to any would be LD, or capper killer!

These are just simple gameplay questions. No point me going into minutae until ive played it myself.

I look forward to your response Exp..i think! :)

experimental said:
guess what guys, gravity is 14.5 meters per second.

real life is 9.8 meters per second. unreal and quake are 9-10m/sec

Rofl. No. It's so edifying if a member of dev team doesn't distinguish between velocity and acceleration...

Back