Crom's T:V Impressions from GDC

I don't see the big deal. If the health is just on the bar rather than in the kit, then I'm not worried. The game has health patches, which means we can still build good arena maps.

Edit: All that said, I still think it should be included. I really like the repair kit, it's a lot of fun to pick them up off of the dead, and in Arena they provide a sense of map strategy that is simply awesome.

In fact, because of Arena alone I reccomend they are included.

Having pubbed arena, yes, I agree that they are included for that gametype.
Cornering one guy with a teammate and smashing his fudge with 2 simultaenous discs should reward your teamplay a little, and a small health boost for one of you fits the bill nicely.

However, it is possible that the T:V repair pack might alter the arena gameplay significantly. (Think snipers with repair packs... or a roving wolfpack of players wearing nothing BUT repair packs.)

I too was a little worried about the possible removal of the Repair Kit from T:V, but after thinking about it a bit, I have become used to the idea. I do feel that the Repair Kit is a relatively skill-less item. As people have mentioned before, if there is a Repair Kit, there should also be some sort of script or action that uses the Repair Kit automatically for the newbies... but if the Repair Kit is automatically used, how is it much different from starting out with extra health?

I can understand how the Repair Kit would be more of an advantage to the experienced player, as newbies will likely just forget to use it most of the time. Heck, even I, a T1 player who has been playing for several years, forget to use the Repair Kit when I'm in the heat of some battle in Arena, sometimes. Is this a reflection of (a lack of) skill? I don't think so. I think it's more of a "I was busy and didn't think about pushing the Repair Kit key" issue.

It seems like some people don't like the idea of scavenging dead bodies for health either, but as someone who played HO and LD in T1 for a long time, I find scavenging to be very helpful and think it does add to the game.

So the problem remains; how can we make make scavenging for health possible without having the "complications" of the Repair Kit? I think it may have been suggested before, but how about having each person drop a Repair Patch as they are killed? I feel that the health restored by the Repair Patch should be a relatively small amount, since *every player* will drop one when killed. I was thinking along the lines of having it restore about 1/4 to 1/2 as much health as you would think the Repair Kit would restore.

One reason I would like to see the Repair Patch dropping is for gametypes such as Arena, where your one life is very valuable. Some maps in T1 Arena (such as AUTH) already have Repair Kits and Repair Patches lying around on the map (at their respective spawn points), but there are also many maps that have nothing like this, and therefore looking for dead bodies is even more important.

I personally would like to see the Repair Kit back in T:V, maybe because that's what I'm familiar with, but I don't see its removal as a major gameplay destroying change.

Thrax Panda said:
It's fun. And I have been playing Tribes for longer than just about anybody on these forums (Booty has probably been playing longer, but I'm not sure). Does that count? In fact, it's not just fun, it's amazingly astoundingly fun. Beyond my wildest hopes for how fun we could make it. Do you feel better?
this is the truth. and more. in the short time i played T:V, 2 things became very clear:

1) The game, at an early stage, is amazingly fun, and comprises what I FEEL are the core tenets of tribes gameplay. to reiterate...the game already rules. period.

2) The game is not being "dumbed down", nor is the concept of a learning curve and the necesity to allow for increased skill. If, out of a pre-beta build, i can tell that there is a lot to this game...that is a great thing.

I can't say it enough, but really, you guys don't need to worry. the core gameplay is there, already, pre-beta. the deployables and the rep kits and the altered armor roles are singularily a big deal, but in the grand scheme of the game they are minor.

thrax knows what he is doing....and so does KP...and Ed, Rowan, and the rest of the team...that is very, very clear

VaporTrail said:
Having pubbed arena, yes, I agree that they are included for that gametype.
Cornering one guy with a teammate and smashing his fudge with 2 simultaenous discs should reward your teamplay a little, and a small health boost for one of you fits the bill nicely.

However, it is possible that the T:V repair pack might alter the arena gameplay significantly. (Think snipers with repair packs... or a roving wolfpack of players wearing nothing BUT repair packs.)

Hopefully there will be no snipers in T:V Arena :x

Oh Crom, I just noticed you're here RIGHT NOW, so I have a quick question for you.

How long did you think the flag carrier trail was after you grabbed the flag? Like when you had the flag and were moving at full speed (just use what you felt was "full speed"), how long was the flag trail? Please try to give the answer in terms of player height. For example, "the flag trail was about 3 player heights long" And your best guess is fine -- I don't expect you to remember the exact length :)

Crom said:
this is the truth. and more. in the short time i played T:V, 2 things became very clear:

1) The game, at an early stage, is amazingly fun, and comprises what I FEEL are the core tenets of tribes gameplay. to reiterate...the game already rules. period.

2) The game is not being "dumbed down", nor is the concept of a learning curve and the necesity to allow for increased skill. If, out of a pre-beta build, i can tell that there is a lot to this game...that is a great thing.

I can't say it enough, but really, you guys don't need to worry. the core gameplay is there, already, pre-beta. the deployables and the rep kits and the altered armor roles are singularily a big deal, but in the grand scheme of the game they are minor.

thrax knows what he is doing....and so does KP...and Ed, Rowan, and the rest of the team...that is very, very clear

Could not have said it any better.

Arena idea : repair patch drops from kills (ala single player). If that's too powerful, random repair patch drops, say, 50% probability for a drop to occur.

(could we get the a: filter changed, PLEASE?)

I only saw the trail in 3rd while i was moving at a relatively slow speed. I do not know if it grows depending on your speed, cause frankly, skiing in 3rd was even tougher than skiing in 1st.

the trail that i saw was probably around the height of the player, but i barely remember and could be 100% off.

However, the bug aside, it looked really great (like pretty much everything in the game i saw)

VaporTrail said:
Add the random repair kit scavenge into that

where do you get this info?

I think this was mentioned as a SP element not a MP element. It better not be a MP element

because Random events (lightning, etc) + competive play = shazbot

VaporTrail said:
Arena ide repair patch drops from kills (ala single player). If that's too powerful, random repair patch drops, say, 50% probability for a drop to occur.

Two reasons it was so nice in Aren

1. If you and a teammate killed someone by wasting them with two discs at once, you got a little bit of health in return.

2. You could pick it up on the map as a little backup.

Killjoy- said:

I think this was mentioned as a SP element not a MP element. It better not be a MP element

Yes, random events really do suck.

Killjoy- said:

GG reading comprehension. Repair Kit, not Repair Patch

Carry on.

Apotheosis said:
Hopefully there will be no snipers in T:V Arena :x

As long as the damage is reduced and you can't buy rifles at the station, I think sniping would be ok in arena.

The damage will have to be reduced, because CTF damage needs to be much higher than would make sence in arean.

Instead of buying them at the station, the map maker can just let them spawn somewhere. Thus, different maps would make for different sniper possibilites.

That or no sniper at all. :shrug:

Just my opinion, anyway.

RegisteredFruit said:
You clearly have not read the posts discussing the use of the rk. It may not take the most skill to use, but there is strategy to it. Removing it is just another way they are dumbing the game down.

You clearly have not read my post discussing the use of the health kit. It does NOT take hardly any skill at all to use. The skill in using it lies in knowing that it's there, Woohoo *pk twirls his finger in the air*. There is just about zero strategy to using them. All you have to do is loot bodies and hit H. I really don't ANY players that aren't aware of how this is executed. Removing them is NOT dumbing the game down, it is doing the very opposite because by wasting our time less with this strategyless aspect of the game, more time will be spent in the areas of the game where more skill lies. Perhaps noobs will be poor at using the health kit because they don't realize it is there, but this does not mean that removing them is catering to noobs. I would much rather beat a noob because my aim was better or because I knew where to be at the right time rather then simply because he didn't know about his health kit or know when to use it properly. That's just kinda lame. "Oh Snap, that skilless noob didn't know when to use his health kit and I decimated him." *yawn* I'd rather outsmart the players I go up against, then out-healthkit them. If the health kits aren't in the game then better players will best weaker ones more often on the basis that they are more skilled at areas that matter, not because they were better health kitters.

People are assuming that using the health kits takes some kind of intelligence and I disagree completely. You yourselves are arguing that "It is difficult for noobs to learn" is not a valid argument for X-ing the health kit because it is in fact EASY for people to learn.

I see a deep inconsistancy when I hear people argue, "Oh c'mon, how hard is it for noobs to learn how to hit H, use the health kit, and apply the knowledge in combat, it's so easy. Oh c'mon hitting H takes skill and strategy to be able to do well with it and it's a valuable aspect of the game."

RegisteredFruit said:
I tend to repeat myself when I'm trying to get an answer and don't get one.

That's fine, I'll repeat myself since I am GIVING an answer and said people don't seem to want to listen for reasons unknown. You seem to act like you're dying for a reason, and then when people give you the reason you're looking for, you don't listen or care. That I can't understand. It's prolly just cus you don't want to accept the fact that you may be wrong.

Of course I may be wrong too, I've been wrong many times before. :)

I would like to re-emphasize that I am not really all that against the health kit. I am advocating the view point that it could be more fun without it because it IS POSSIBLE that this is the case. It could also be more fun with it too. Regardless I just don't find walking up to corpses and taking their health kits to be a very fun aspect of the game, perhaps this is the part of the game where you get your rocks off, and that's fine. However, I think it would be cool if there were new and improved ways to heal yourself or stay alive in the enemy base longer that were more based off of skill and innovation so that we could see some cool new stuff going on, but if you want everything to be the same as T1 so that we can play the same game for another 5 years then I respect your opinion. I liked Tribes 1 and I can see why you would feel this way. It is a safer way to play it, but I look at it like this. There are about 4 or 5 things we can expect from the developers that they have to deliver on. Speed/skiing, teamplay, Jetpacks, fun, and the disc launcher. The rest is up to the devs to decide on and all we can do is to give our positive input in a friendly and respectful manner without ORDERING them or SCREAMING at them to do things while we cross our fingers and hope for the best. You can dryhump these guys all you want crying "HEALTH KIT HEALTH KIT TARGETTING LASER TARGETTING LASER!" in their ears but it will get you nowhere.

Like I said in many of my earlier posts. Were all just going to have to keep an open mind and wait it out till the game is released before we spaz out and decide the game is horrible or going down the toilet. Personally as long as the game has Speed/skiing, teamplay, jetpacks, fun, and the disclauncher, I'm fine. I want the game to be pleasently new and different to leave room for a new era of tribes that's a lot of fun where people are figuring out neat new tricks to pull off.

We should be encouraging changes instead of screaming "OH MY GOD MY PANTIES ARE ON FIRE!" every time something new happens.

Colosus said:
I take it you skipped over my comment because it answered your question and thus made your point moot?

Uh, no, that would be because I don't post with the ferocity and speed of a hare.

I tend to skim over your comments anyway, when it comes to competition, because you played for Inq. Sorry. :p

Anyway, my point is hardly moot. Things are being taken out of because of the people that can't think or press another key. What are they doing to reward players who CAN do that?

Back