Best freeware programs?

sender

Banned
Being the interweb nerd I am, over the years I've found a few good freeware programs to use that make my computing life easier. They are in no particular order:

IrfanView: Very fast graphics viewer. Not for editing, just for looking at pictures. What types of pictures? Um....

Daemon-Tools: CD Rom emulator. If you download an .ISO it creates a virtual CD rom drive that you can load the .ISO onto (and then look at the contents as if it were a burned disk). Quite useful.

Winwall: Desktop changer. Not too bad, but not as good as quickchanger.

Quickchanger (!): Hmm, seems they got the site working again...all summer any time I tried to connect it would transfer me to a pron site (to be use with above irfanview ;)). Quickchanger is great (skinnable, showed mini-pics you could choose from). Download doesn't seem to work right now, but this really is the best desktop wallchanger I've found.

Trillian: ICQ, AIM, MSN IRC all rolled into one. Very useful.

SSH Secure Shell Client: Get from SSH.com. Hard to find but it's the best SSH tool out there for windows. Sorry, this one is a pain in the ass to get the url for.

College Alarm Clock: Turn my $1000 computer into a $10 alarm clock. I'm gonna try and write a nicer looking one over the christmas break.

Winamp: Whatever you all know about this. You all probably have this so fuck the link. 2x is the faster version, but 3.x has support for freeform skinning and some REALLY cool modules.

TortiseCVS: For Win32 developers. CVS progra integrated into windows shell. You right click on files, and there is an option to commit to CVS. Just the simplest version out there.

Phoenix: Mozilla based browser. Faster loading time. Similar to Opera, only it's free plus I dunno, I just like it better. Can't use my back botton on my mouse tho. :\

7-zip: Freeware, fast archiver(i.e. winzip clone, winrar clone). Supports a bunch of different formats. It's not the greatest yet but it has potential plus it's free with no annoying popups.

Ad-Aware: removes spyware.

FastTrack Accelerator: Comes with Kazaa Lite. Basically every minute runs the command "Search for other sources". Speeds up my downloads like 10-20x.

MyORgBook: Project I work on. Basically a personal organizer...similar to hotmail but for address', events, etc. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Helios: Cool screensaver. Model of electrical fields, graphically intense.

LyrisAMP: Plugin for winamp3. Whenever a new song starts playing ti connects to several databases and downloads the lyris to that song. Very good pattern matching.

SciTE: Nice Freeware text editor. Good for those codemonkeys out there. Text highlighting, auto-tab other nice things. Prob Not the best but best I can find.

Anyhow, those are as many as I could remember. Does anyone have some good ones to add to the list? Sorry that alot are OFN. Hopefully some of you guys will have some that I've never heard of.

Peace.

Last edited:
sender said:
LyrisAMP: Plugin for winamp3. Whenever a new song starts playing ti connects to several databases and downloads the lyris to that song. Very good pattern matching.

Where can i get this?

Alias Sketchbook

If you have a tablet, you NEED this program. It makes drawing on a tablet damn close to drawing on paper. VERY fucking nice. It has problems with dual monitors currently (the cursor and the actual drawing point are off) but will be fixed soon.

EndItAll - small program that closes specified running programs and processes with one click. Great for freeing up some needed RAM.
and
Winamp Joystick Remote - Winamp plugin allowing a joystick or gamepad to control playback, volume, shuffle toggle etc...

Great thread btw :)

Last edited:
sender said:
College Alarm Clock: Turn my $1000 computer into a $10 alarm clock. I'm gonna try and write a nicer looking one over the christmas break.

ive been looking for a good one of these for a LONG time. I had two but one of them the trial expired and the other was SUPER buggy. sweet :D

I've done some limited testing with 7z and found that it sometimes compresses more than even ACE...its interface is terrible, but great compression + free = win

3D Color Changer - Advanced version of "Appearances" in desktop menu, comes with themes.

Consolable - Skinnable "Run bar" with ability to add your own commands into it. Floats on desktop and you can type commands like !irc to start your irc client.

Crazy Browser - Internet Browser that uses IE as it's base. Stops popups, cool hotkeys, tabbed browser, etc etc.

DU Meter - Shows ingoing and outgoing bandwidth with a nice translucent GUI. Ability to change colors. (Shareware, but also really easy to find a crack for)

eConsole - Skinnable Command prompt with transparency options

FPortNG - FPort reports all open TCP/IP and UDP ports and maps them to the owning application.

ICQ Lite - Like ICQ, but without gay ads, irc, email and all the shit you don't need. Looks similar to XP, and I 'think' it's skinnable. Has just contact list/sms and file transfer. (All you need)

ISOBuster - Good for ripping CD's, or scratched CD's to ISO, and good for creating backups.

NeoTrace - Visual Tracing program which shows all whois info, and shows roughly whereabouts in the world the IP traced is.

NNScript IRC - Awesome IRC script/client which adds heaps of options left out of regular IRC, with like over 100 themes and crap. really cool

RegSeeker - Advanced version of RegEdit, which lets you search through registry, add/remove programs, apply heaps of pre-defined registry tweaks just by ticking a button, and other crap that makes it cool.

Resource Hacker - Lets you change the BMP's in almost any executable/dll in Windows. cool for shit like changing start menu icon, changing boot screens, logon screens etc.

Sasami 2k - Awesome Media player, has cool options like Scanlines, sharpen, transparency, and lots of other stuff I can't remember :p really cool program

SiSoft Sandra - Gives you detailed information on every single hardware component on your computer, and gives you tips on improving performance of them.

TweakUI - Program that lets you change ALOT of things in windows. Like cursor speed/cache, icons, desktop, etc etc. cool app

Virtual DUB - Lets you edit each individual frame in a movie, and also fix broken ones and rewrite their index. DivFix also lets you fix broken downloads, but doesn't let you edit any of the video like virtual dub does.

Back