Tribes3(omfg it's not t3 it's just the NEXT game! whatever, stfu) open beta by UVA5?

Thrax Panda said:
Don't bother asking. The answer is no. :)
Can I be in it... oh :)

Thanks Panda, good to know!

Off-thread topic a bit, but how (do you know yet?) will the login (if any) system work for TNTG?

Will it be like T1, slap any nick on, join a server, no login.
Tribes 2, login to play, unique nickname...
Or login to play, choose any nickname (not unique), or something im missing?

Id be interested to know how it works :)

Plasma said:
Will it be like T1, slap any nick on, join a server, no login.
Or Tribes 2, login to play, unique nickname...
Or login to play, choose any nickname (not unique)?
Or something im missing?
Yes ;)

Thrax Panda said:
Waaaaayyy before that a small select group of people will help us with very specific things, including everything from initial concepts on paper, all the way to game testing.

Don't bother asking. The answer is no. :)

Are you willing to talk about what qualifies you for the exclusive? Good ideas here? Holding a top spot on a Tribes or Tribes 2 ladder? etc...?

Locke355 said:
lol.. nice logical fallacy.

I just saw the window break in my house. As it broke, a feather floated into my room from a doorway on the other side of the room. The feather MUST HAVE broken the window!

Hmmm - You're correct that correlation doesn't prove causation. I certainly didn't offer statistically-significant results - I merely offered anecdotes.

Given this, I'll add a little "logic" to the argument. Let's start with a question - why does the open source approach work for some applications? One answer - because lots of people push on the code to find bugs and then implement solutions.

The same holds true in a beta-test. The more people that push on the code, stress it, work it till it breaks the more likely you are to find problems. While finding the problem doesn't guarantee that it gets fixed by the DEV team, you certainly can't fix the code if you don't know that its broken.

You further assert that beta testers provide little information and that in some cases they provide incorrect information. By this logic, we shouldn't beta test at all. We should just code away and then release.

Following this course of action would be clearly ridiculous.

Regardless of whether beta-testers offer good or bad information generally for other games/applications, there is significant evidence that the Tribes community provides useful feedback about bugs when asked to do so. The z0dd's were overwhelmed with useful bug findings by highly motivated tribers during the open classic beta. As a result of the z0dd's hard work, the mod has been a massive success and has even won over some longstanding T2 haters.

Similarly, the TR2 community organized itself (thx to Mojo, RK and Kinch) to fix the significant number of bugs that the closed TR2 beta failed to find. Sadly their efforts came too late/their volunteer time proved too limited and KP's amazing mod died an untimely death.

[In fairness on the TR2 point, many other factors in addition to bugs combined to kill TR2. That said, bugs/gameplay issues were hugely important in its demise.]

Tribers care. Indeed, many are fanatical. Despite your cynicism on this point, you clearly care a lot about Tribes yourself. You've played it off an on for 3+ years (probably 4+ I'm not sure when you joined IE). Moreover, you frequently post your view about how T3 should develop. Your ideas are generally good. My guess is that your feedback would be of very high quality.

The great thing is, you're enthusiasm for Tribes isn't isolated or unique.

Given this tremendous level of commitment/enthusiasm, why would you suggest that an open beta would fail or be "ridiculous?"

Building a large installed base of users is critical for T3. If the game is a buggy pos at release as T2 was (again closed beta), the game will never achieve the success that it might have absent the early stumble (even if the bugs are fixed quickly). Once a network stumbles, it is often impossible to get it moving again.

Recognizing this, a closed beta risks leaving a lot of $$$ on the table. In addition to finding bugs, an open beta generates lots of enthusiasm for the game's ultimate release.

Edit: As I argued in a different post, the beta has to be reasonably playable to be open. It makes perfect sense to have a small closed testing team until that point. If you want to be conservative to minimize potential negative PR effects, open it gradually as "risk goes out of the game" - but do open it.

Last edited:
Well, I guess as thraz puts it they're thinking about doing both. My only concern about a closed beta is people out to fill thier own agendas. Of course really that's silly b/c any blanace issues they find are going to be pretty subjective. However if they siad to the closed beta testers: "This our direction -- this is what we want to shape the balance into," then I don't think I'd really have anything to worry about. Besides, I think we all want to see tribes3 do well.

Rev said:
Are you willing to talk about what qualifies you for the exclusive? Good ideas here? Holding a top spot on a Tribes or Tribes 2 ladder? etc...?

Blowjobs. I am practicing on cucumbers atm, tho i think thrax is a baby carrot.

Usually I would flat out flame someone who misquoted me once, let alone numerous times. However you seem like a nice individual with good intentions, so I am going to try and be nice.

Flatscan said:
Given this, I'll add a little "logic" to the argument. Let's start with a question - why does the open source approach work for some applications? One answer - because lots of people push on the code to find bugs and then implement solutions.

Open source bugs are generally lower than closed source bugs because you have more eyes on the code and more of a willingness to fix the code (especially if the project is a freeware project). Things such as bugzilla and other sites can be setup to monitor the code, and anyone is free to add their patch/fix. This has nothing to do with how many testers you have. You can have the same amount of testers for a closed source project as an open one, and the open might get bugs fixed quicker due single handedly to non-dev members being able to fix the bug themselves and submit the pathces, effectively making more developers.

Flatscan said:
You further assert that beta testers provide little information and that in some cases they provide incorrect information. By this logic, we shouldn't beta test at all. We should just code away and then release.

Following this course of action would be clearly ridiculous.

Actually, if you read my 3rd post in this thread you will see I said open beta testers. Please try and quote correctly.

From friends I have talked to at gaming companies, i have heard that out of most major releases, the amount of feedback from the open beta downloaders is very very slim. You have a much better chance of getting quality and quantity from closed beta testers who really want to beta the game. Think about it. What are the odds that some guy who downloads an open beta from a gaming site is going to give a rats ass about submitting a DETAILED crash bug? Very little, because odds are he just wanted to burn some time or checkout a game. Betas are a bad place to checkout a game.

Flatscan said:
Similarly, the TR2 community organized itself (thx to Mojo, RK and Kinch) to fix the significant number of bugs that the closed TR2 beta failed to find. Sadly their efforts came too late/their volunteer time proved too limited and KP's amazing mod died an untimely death.

[In fairness on the TR2 point, many other factors in addition to bugs combined to kill TR2. That said, bugs/gameplay issues were hugely important in its demise.]

Myself being active in the TR2 beta from a relatively early point in time compared to most, I can say that what killed TR2 was time restraints. Bugs weren't fixed because there weren't enough hours in the day. KP, Daunt, and AO worked extremely hard at pounding out all the bugs that were reported, and came up short because of time constraints. A bunch of bugs were completely out of their hands (problems with the Torque engine), and they still made great attempts to fix them as best they could from the scripting level. You can report all the bugs you want, but if you dont have time to fix them, there is nothing you can do. End of story.

Flatscan said:
Given this tremendous level of commitment/enthusiasm, why would you suggest that an open beta would fail or be "ridiculous?"

As this thread is about (uva5), and as I said in my 3rd post, open beta at UVA5 would be ridiculous if the game hasn't even hit an alpha state. Please dont misquote.

Flatscan said:
Building a large installed base of users is critical for T3. If the game is a buggy pos at release as T2 was (again closed beta), the game will never achieve the success that it might have absent the early stumble (even if the bugs are fixed quickly). Once a network stumbles, it is often impossible to get it moving again.

Recognizing this, a closed beta risks leaving a lot of $$$ on the table. In addition to finding bugs, an open beta generates lots of enthusiasm for the game's ultimate release.

As I said before, and as you quoted and seemed to understand a few moments ago, this is a logical fallacy. Just because T2 was buggy and the beta was closed, doesn't mean that the reason it was buggy was because of a closed beta. When your game is produced by a moron, and you are always behind schedule and need to ship "now" as I understood it was, your game becomes bugfilled easily. You could have opened that beta to the world; doesn't mean the bugs would have magically gone away. There is only so much manpower, and so much time.

Releasing an open bugfilled beta is almost as bad as releasing a full product bugfilled. Open means that anyone, even jimmy down the street who just bought a pc, can play it. The game crashing 2 seconds out can easily leave a bad impression on the end user, beta or not. Most people write off a game based on their first experience of it. They dont include if it is a beta or not.

I figured I would seperate this from the last post, as it really doesn't have much to do with it and the last was way too long.

I have met Thrax, and I think he is an incredibly intelligent person. I have faith in him and his experience to know when a game is ready for beta of any kind, as it well surpasses my own. I am not saying that there should be no open beta ever, and not saying that open betas are inherently bad. I am saying that i think it is rediculous that anyone outside of sierra would think it would be a possibility to do an OPEN beta on such a fledgling game where it has been stated that very little functionality is there.

This discussion is academic given that it seems Sierra is going to pursue a hybrid approach (i.e. something like closed then progressively more open, till finally open - hopefully well before gold). Based on your last post, I think we both agree that a hybrid approach makes sense (although perhaps for different reasons).

[given the above the below is only relevant to Locke]

We're clearly not communicating with each other, despite the fact that I believe we probably more agree than disagree.

The central points of my argument are:

1. A larger number of MOTIVATED testers (of the open or closed variety) will identify more bugs (this doesn't mean they all get fixed)

2. The average competitive Tribes player is FAR more motivated than a random download person.

3. Given this intense commitment that most Tribers exhibit (and you do too), a beta that is progressively more open will improve the probability of a successful, more bug-free, T3 launch. Having a reputation for stability is critical to a network-effect dominated game like Tribes.

4. It doesn't make sense to fully open up an unplayable game. As it becomes more playable, the beta should be opened further.

As I said, I think we probably more agree than disagree. I could be wrong, however.

Off topic point 1...

Using examples ceases to be a logical fallacy when you supplement them with logic. You may disagree with my logic, but it is no longer a "logical fallacy."

In general, if you wait for t-scores to = 2 (i.e. CLEAR statistical significance), you will miss lots of opportunities. If you have some evidence and a compelling rationale to support your evidence, depending on your risk tolerance, you should go for it (whatever "it" is - a trading opportunity, a business idea, a beta test).

Off topic point 2...

Why did the overwhelming majority of TR2 DEV guys and beta testers walk on TR2 once it was released? That was incredibly lame.

Flatscan said:
Why did the overwhelming majority of TR2 DEV guys and beta testers walk on TR2 once it was released? That was incredibly lame.

I can answer that -- b/c they were no longer being paied.

Also I have a suspicous feeling Kinetic Poet is working on a team rabbit variant for Tribes 3. Either that or he's dead, so...

They engender enthusiasm, they teach by example etc.

In some cases, they may even be able to help fix the code (not sure what the current groups capabilities were in this regard).

I'm fairly certain the onoly way you are going to get on the exclusive test is if you are a "well known" name....ie, The Red Dread (even though he's a planetside traitor now ;) w/ teamsound being bundled w/ planetside and all ;) )

which is fine and I understand why they would do this. But I would also hope they take a couple of "regular joes".

Also, I would imagine it would be much more likely for the Sierra guys to go to the TribesLAN (or whatever it's called..the west coast one) than UVALAN5 :(

Got Haggis? said:
Also, I would imagine it would be much more likely for the Sierra guys to go to the TribesLAN (or whatever it's called..the west coast one) than UVALAN5 :(

I think you mean TribesCon. Colosus siad there will be no tribescon this year :\

Flatscan said:
Using examples ceases to be a logical fallacy when you supplement them with logic. You may disagree with my logic, but it is no longer a "logical fallacy."

You add no logic. If some of that was supposed to be logic, it sure as hell doesn't support your conclusion. The bugs in tribes had nothing to do with a closed beta, as I have said before. End of story. If you want to keep rattling on about it, be my guest. I am done with it.

Flatscan said:

Because working on a free mod doesn't pay the bills.

You seem to ignore the main point, beta at UVA5. I am done replying to you, as you seem to have quoting / reading comprehension problems.

I'll translate what locke is saying for you flatscan so maybe you can understand. He's saying that an open beta in such an early stage (uva 5), would do more to harm the game than help it. Having a large abundance of serious bugs when "GameSpyDuDezor9" dls it, if he keeps crashing, not only will he not be submitting those bugs, but he'll probably be turned off from the game forever.

He's *not* saying that open betas are worthless, but he's saying they would hurt the game more than they would help if you did one before you had a smaller beta to get the more serious crashes first.

As far as TR2 beta testers and playing the game is concerned. A fair amount of beta testers did pub the game for 1-2 weeks after it was out, however people in pubs were extremely stupid as a whole. TR2 was not a pub game at all, since when your team sucked you had total frustration, even more so when people are too stubborn to learn in a quick manner. So don't blame the TR2 beta testers for "not pubbing/supporting the game", after it came out. Pubbing after TR2 came out was pure hell.

Back